Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question regarding cage size

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to figure out how to accommodate my growing cavy family. I had two pigs in a 2 level 2x4 cage. Now I have three little ones, so 5 pigs in total. I was thinking of adding a 2x2 to the side of the bottom level, (so the bottom level would be L shaped). Is this enough?

As far as I can tell the little ones are all girls (I'm keeping my fingers crossed, this would be great), so I wouldn't need to separate anyone, I'd have one neutered boar and four girls.

Thanks!

Choco-latte

Cavy Slave
From what I understood is that the ladder to the second level takes away the space. You will need to have at least a 2x8 if I calculated it correctly. I have two they are quarrentined as of now but there cage is a 2 x 6. And then I have made them another free time cage on the floor of a 3 x 10 so they have plenty of space and fun. I have put some links below about cage space.

(broken link removed)

https://www.guineapigcages.com/

Guinea Lynx :: Housing

Good luck

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Technically for five grown pigs you would need a 2x7 cage, 2x8 would be even better. Maybe you could add a 2x3 to the bottom instead of a 2x2? If one of my pups is male and you need to rehome him, than the 2x6 will do nicely, though. Good luck with the rebuild and the pups!

robinspiggies

Cavy Slave
The bigger the better.

Terekins

Cavy Slave
The bigger the better.

I'd make it huge if I had the space!

I don't have a ramp taking up space, the way to the top level is outside the cage. Does the fact that I also have a 2x4 top level help at all ?(I know it doesn't technically make it a 2x8, but they can get away from one another if need be). Thanks :)

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Does the fact that I also have a 2x4 top level help at all?

My pigs love their loft, and they use it for some alone time or whatever, but unfortunately, it does not count as overall square footage in the cage. Unlike rats, mice, ferrets, etc, which can have their cages climbing skyward, cavies aren't climbers, so the main floor of the cage is what counts when determining the size of the cage. A lot of pigs love having lofts and will use them frequently, but they don't count towards square footage. You'll still need at least a 2x7 on the bottom for five pigs.

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Thanks TQ, I guess adding one more grid to my original plan isn't really that big of a deal, eh? That's what I'll tell the boyfriend ;)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.