Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece + Shredded Paper = Perfection

guineapigfan9000

Cavy Slave
I just switched to fleece in one of my cages (Twinkle and Allopoka's) as Twinkle is having a problem with her arthritis. Anyhow, I was planning on just putting in more shredded paper (over the plastic floor) than usual, then I spotted the fleece that I normally use for carrying them around, drying them after baths etc. I decided to give it a try as I just cringe when I see guinea pigs slipping and sliding on the shredded-paper-covered plastic/coroplast. I wrapped it around the plastic base in their cage and thought of leaving it as it was. Then I decided to put in a bit of shredded paper because:
a) In my experience, it is actually quite absorbent if you use enough.
b) Using enough is worth it because it is cheap and squashes down nicely to fit into rubbish bins and
c) Guinea pigs love hay and lots of it, only good hay is SO expensive nowadays and I can only use it in a hayrack. Compromise: Give them shredded paper to run around in, make into balls, poop on, build into little houses... and only use hay in racks.
d) The fleece doesn't really provide protection from cold, I don't think, because it is really only on the floor.
So now they're on a double layer: shredded paper and fleece. It is working very nicely so far - I'll report on my progress in this thread.
Also, they love the shredded paper - it must seem like heaven for them to be dashing around in it. I currently have 2 bits of fleece - one in the cage and one resting on the guinea pigs' washing line (they have their own because of the family member with allergies might who might go near the clothesline etc). Since I'm getting the new cage soon, I might do one level of it with fleece (bottom) and one with shredded paper and newspaper. Bottom level will be the main playground - a couple of pipes but mostly unobstructed space and top will be eating room, hay room, bedroom area etc.

WillowWinnieMom

Cavy Slave
I am thinking of switching to fleece. I currently use an Aspen and Carefresh combo, but it is SOOO messy and expensive. The Aspen shavings are all over my house and it is a such a mess when I clean their cage. I was reading your entry and was wondering how messy the paper was and if it gets all over the house, how often you change it, etc. Do you just use the 2 layers with the fleece on the bottom then the paper on top of that or do you have more layers than that? Just curious on how that is working for you.

SoCalCavies

Cavy Slave
Fleece is great.

As for warmth, I use extra pieces of fleece on top of my floor fleece! Check it out:

BanditBuckyUnderCovers011907.jpg

I also sewed together two pieces of fleece and made a pillow out of it. I stuffed it with Carefresh! (It's the light blue pillow in the picture.) Whenever it gets dirty, I just cut a small hole in it, dump the Carefresh out, wash it, then restuff! The pigs love it.

By the way, what do you mean by "shredded paper?" Do you mean you shred your own, or do you buy it? What brand?

Jenah

Cavy Slave
I am thinking of switching to fleece. I currently use an Aspen and Carefresh combo, but it is SOOO messy and expensive. The Aspen shavings are all over my house and it is a such a mess when I clean their cage. I was reading your entry and was wondering how messy the paper was and if it gets all over the house, how often you change it, etc. Do you just use the 2 layers with the fleece on the bottom then the paper on top of that or do you have more layers than that? Just curious on how that is working for you.

I use Aspen and Total Comfort [similar to Carefresh] combo as well. And it does get around - but so does their hay. Heck I'm already sweeping my hard wood floors nearly every day anyway with my boy running around....! But you're right it can be a smidge messy. But if I keep the area around the cage swept up - then we aren't tracking it all over the house as much.

I have an upper story in which I use a combination of puppy pads, towels, and finally fleece for them to snuggle in. The lower cage 3x4 is what has the aspen/total comfort. Seems to work for now!

JBarton

Cavy Slave
I really balked at the idea about using fleece as bedding but got so tired of the mess that goes along with using shavings or Carefresh. I swept up around the pen and it still got tracked all over the house, got stuck to the pigs, our clothes, the rug... everything.
So, two wheeks ago, I bought 2 child-sized fleece blankets and a package of 50 puppy pads ($12 at K-Mart or Wal-Mart). Our three girls live in two wading pools, one four foot diameter and one 5 foot diameter. I cut an opening in the side of each one and connected them together by folding the resulting flaps down upon each other and holding them down with bricks. I cut one side of the big pool down to about two inches and added a fence so they can see out. At pen changing time, I herded them into the larger side and did the smaller area first. I emptied all the shavings and other "stuff", scrubbed the pool and dried it. I then used a layer of newspaper, a layer of puppy pads, more newspaper, then the fleece. When it came time to get them into the smaller side, they yelled about it and were afraid to venture in. Eventually, Audrey, the youngest, desided to check it out and the other two followed. I got the larger side done and they repeated the whole show until Marilyn got brave enough to check it out. Now they love their fleece! Outfitting round areas was a bit challenging but it was worth it!
I really like the idea of shredded paper as an added layer. My questions are: which layer would it be? Between the puppy pads and the upper layer of newspaper? Also, when cleaning time comes, is it messy like shavings to remove from the pen, or does it pretty much lift out with the rest of the paper?

MattysMom

Cavy Slave
is the shredded paper on top? Im trying to think of a way to help my pigs. one of mine is very fleece friendly he poops in a few particular spots. The two girls poop evreywhere and then run all over it so by the time i get hom all the poop is crushed intot he fleece...... i may have to switch back to shavings for the girls if i dont find another solution.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Wow JBarton - what a turnaround! :cheerful: It is great you have tried out fleece - and I am so glad you are liking it!

I have made a partial change aswell, and have a 2 x 3 hayloft area bedded with megazorb (previously 100% fleece!).

After seeing this thread, I though I would try shredded paper (which I have used in litter trays) over the megazorb - and it is working well. It is easy to remove and replace. If done daily, it certainly cuts down on sogginess, it is warm for the piggies, and different to just fleece, or bedding. I have found that it lifts out easily, and certainly isn't half as messy as shavings!

I think the layer is on top of the fleece, rather than between pads and fleece.

animalhouse

Cavy Slave
hmm I am kinda confused. Are you putting Fleece lining and then the shredded paper, and then a fleece blanket on top for them to cuddle in? I am using the carefresh bedding.. and I Don't have a blanket in there. Should I Put something like that in there? I Have posted on my original post of my cage I built yesterday. Is there any tips of how to improve it? Cheaply of course. ❤️

JBarton

Cavy Slave
Since we are novices at this fleece thing, I thought to use a layer or two of newspaper on the bottom, a layer of puppy pads, another couple of layers of newspaper then the fleece on top. I spread out the fleece and hold it down around the edges where it doesn't quite reach the edges. The blankets are rather square and the pools, of course, are round.
If I put the shredded paper directly under the fleece, won't it get wet and yucky? I find that the newspaper dries fairly quickly and the moisture goes down to the puppy pads. If I put a layer of shredded paper between the pads and the top layer of newspaper, wouldn't it act as an extra layer of absorbancy as well as providing extra warmth without being in direct contact with the fleece to make a mess? It would also be easy to lift out with the rest of the layers under the fleece
This is so much fun! Trying out new ways of taking care of Marilyn, Bette, and Audrey is an adventure for all of us. I am so glad I found this site and all you friendly people. My piggies will thrive!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I think that gpf900's idea is to put the shredded paper ONTOP of the fleece - so you will have newspaper, puppy pads, newspaper, fleece then shredded paper on top. The piggies can make tunnels/'nests in the shredded paper. This is how I am using it (though not over fleece.)

My experience is that it does absorb liquid - but does get a bit soggy - so needs daily cleaning out - at least in the wet areas. This is easily done - it does 'clump' together in these spots, making removal simple and quick. I have a floor time set up at the moment, and the hayrack litter tray, and tunnels and hideys all have shredded paper for bedding - the girls are enjoying tunnelling around in there!

I haven't tried it under fleece - though don't imagine it would be effective. I think it might get wet and stay wet, and infact, I feel certain that my pigs would find away to get under the fleece to root around in it! lol

My most recent 'improvement' (apart from the bedded kitchen area) is in using wadding - or batting under the fleece. This seems to really help in the 'wicking' process - and my girls love the comfy spring in their step underfoot!

JBarton

Cavy Slave
I put a bunch of shredded paper in the girls bedroom and they seem to love it! It doesn't scatter around like shavings and carefresh-like bedding. They seem to be comfortable on it than shavings or carefresh. I caught Audrey lounging on the playground this afternoon.

I think my next project will be getting them into C&C cages. A good set-up would fit my room so much better and I could give them more space by going up instead of only out. The shredded paper will be good for bedrooms.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.