Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

German cavy slave says hello

cavywhisperer

Cavy Slave
Hello.

I just found this forum today and I am very curious about the live of guinea pigs and their owners out there in the US and elsewhere.
Please, excuse my English. I am not a native speaker and not always so sure about punctuation and capital letters and all that stuff.

I have been a cavy slave (what a nice word! never heard that before!) since 1981 when I got my first little black and white guinea pig "Muckchen". I got enslaved and addicted to these little fellas immediately.
There were interruptions in my life as a cavy slave. But only some months ago, I felt, it was time again for a new start. And I found my three little "heros" Herkules (the anxious piggy), Othello (the cheeky piggy), and Leo (the boss piggy).
And we live happy ever since in my 2-room-appartment in the south of Berlin, Germany. They ruin my living room day in day out ... as they can run freely there (I hid all the dangerous things from them and there are no electric cables within their reach) and only go back into their cages for some food or a nap (if they do not sleep under my couch :cheerful: ).

Let me give you an impression:

https://imageshack.us
My sweetheart Herkules sitting in a plastic pipe, looking at me suspectingly.

Leo, cavy boss, but really calm and cuddly.

And cheeky Othello, the furry whirlwind.

Well, I hope, I will learn a lot in this forum about the English speaking guinea pigs and their cavy slaves. And I am all on edge for your blogs.

Greetings and best wishes from Berlin, Germany :goodvibes

Uutie Emmy

Cavy Slave
Hallo, cavywhisperer, welcome to the forum. I am also from Berlin, Germany and now live in Tennessee, USA. And also recently joined this forum and am glad I did. There is lots of very good information. I learn something new everytime I log on. Your piggies are very cute. Again, welcome to the forum.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to Guinea Pig Cages. Your piggies are adorable.

Please, excuse my English. I am not a native speaker and not always so sure about punctuation and capital letters and all that stuff.
As a mod, I have to say your native language may not be english but you do a much better job with the english, capitalization and punctuation than many of the members here. Kudos to you.

caribear

Cavy Slave
Hello. Lovely to have you on the forum. I also am new to the forum. Your piggies are absolutely georgeous! I do think you did a great job w/ their pictures as well. Great shots! I can imagine that your piggies are extremely happy w/ you. It sounds like they would be. Congratulations on rekindling your love of cavies! I wish that everything goes wonderful for you & them.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! Your piggies are very cute and I love their names.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, hope you find what you are looking for. Your piggies are reaaly cute!

cusunfireguy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. Great pictures of those cute little guys.

Steven

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Oh your boys are so cute! Welcome to the forum. I"m born and raised American but my family (mothers and fathers) are from Germany. Wielkomenn (sp?)

beth4pigs

Cavy Slave
Welcome. I am new too, and joined just today. I am of German heritage and miss my mother's German cooking.
I, too, think your command of the English language is wonderful. Your pictures are also very nice. I need to learn to use a digital camera I was given for Christmas. Then perhaps, I"ll be able to post pictures also.
Again, welcome!

Trega

Cavy Slave
Welsome to the forum. All your pigs are very beautiful. I would love to visit Germany some day. My father lived there for a long time when he was in the army.

Jenah

Cavy Slave
Welcome - they are priceless.

cavywhisperer

Cavy Slave
Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. :) :cheerful: 😊

cavywhisperer

Cavy Slave
Oops! I sent my blog too quickly. Here it comes again:

Thank you all very much for the warm welcome. :cheerful:
I didn't expect so many compliments for my three boys. 😊
They send their hello to you, too *squeak*

Nice, that so many of you have a connection to Germany. At the moment, I would not advice you to come here, as it is cold and grey and not very pleasant in this time of the year. Well, if you like carnival, then you must have a look at either the carnival in Cologne (Carnival Monday is always THE event there) or in Southern Germany. Well, I am happy, I did not have to stand outside in the cold today between lots of drunken people wearing the most silly costumes. If you are inside and have some glasses of wine with nice people in silly costumes, that is more after my fancy. :silly: Or having a nice "Bratwurst" (sausage) and some hot red wine with spices ("Glühwein") after having been out in the cold, all right ... Anyway, I would only go to carnival again, if I could wear a nice cavy costume. :jester:

Whirlwind Othello is sitting on my desk keeping company with me. He is telling me his whole life story right now *mumblesqueakbeeps* and he is scratching at my pullover to tell me he wants his piece of cucumber now, urgently.
As a good cavy slave I have to obey, and leave it at that for the moment.

My best regards to you all,

and I am looking forward to see pictures of your cavy masters ;)

cavywhisperer

Cavy Slave
Welsome to the forum. All your pigs are very beautiful. I would love to visit Germany some day. My father lived there for a long time when he was in the army.

Hallo emoxrobot,

thanks for your welcome. Yes, you should definitely come to Germany one day. It is a lovely country. But come in spring or summer. It is much nicer then.

Something else: I like your avatar picture. It is very cute. How did you manage to get in these blinking hearts?

cavywhisperer

Cavy Slave
I, too, think your command of the English language is wonderful. Your pictures are also very nice. I need to learn to use a digital camera I was given for Christmas. Then perhaps, I"ll be able to post pictures also.
Again, welcome!

Thanks a lot for the compliments. I feel honored (do you say that in English? I am not quite sure.).

Well, you definitely need to learn to use your digital camera as quickly as possible. It is so much fun! And you can take thousands and thousands of pictures of your little cavy darlings (and annoy your family and friends with them :silly: :mischievo ) without stuffing your cupboards with all these little colored papers ... THe best thing is that you can take as many bad pictures as you like and then throw them away quickly without letting anybody see them. Hehe!

Othello is now noshing at my fingers ... sorry, need to log out and get him his cucumber ....

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Wow your pigs are quite insistent when they want their veggies huh? :)

Nothing I love more than German cooking. Bratwursts especially. We have a German Restaurant in town here. And there is one down where my mother lives in Ohio. Everything is so good but the Beer is my favorite.

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Hello, and welcome to the forums! Your guinea pigs are extremely cute and I agree your pictures are great.
I learn German at school but I have only been learning it for about a year and a half so I'm not very good! I am coming to Germany this year on a school trip which is exciting. I'm staying in Moselle from the 16th to the 20th July. What is the weather like then? Do you know what Moselle is like? Well it should be fun!
Welcome again :)

cavywhisperer

Cavy Slave
Hello, and welcome to the forums! Your guinea pigs are extremely cute and I agree your pictures are great.
I learn German at school but I have only been learning it for about a year and a half so I'm not very good! I am coming to Germany this year on a school trip which is exciting. I'm staying in Moselle from the 16th to the 20th July. What is the weather like then? Do you know what Moselle is like? Well it should be fun!
Welcome again :)

Hi. Oh, if you come in July, the weather should be fine. Normally, it is quite warm and nice then, sometimes very hot (well, for me 30 degrees Celsius is already too hot). But you never know: I once experienced a summer with snow and an average temperature of 5 degrees Celsius, which for me is winter. Well, that is exaggerated. Honestly, I think, the weather should be fine in July.

Only, I am sorry to admit, I do not know Moselle as a place. I do know Moselle as a river. Could it be, that you are going to some place on the Moselle? Like Koblenz for example? The river Moselle is very nice in most places. It is a region where they grow grapes and produce wine. A lot of old towns and villages, you can also find old castles and ruins - very romantic. If this is the region you are going to visit you will definitely like it. The only thing is that other people know as well that it is nice there. So you will have a lot of tourists there. Well, if you are on a school trip you may also see some non-touristic places, although 4 days is not a lot.

Hey, very good that you are learning German ... Keep learning it. I know so many Britons (including some of my family who live in Southern England) who refuse to speak any other language. And I do not know why. :confused: I think, it is a pity. Language learning is fun. You can communicate with so many more people then (like me in this forum :cheerful: I could not do it if I had not learned English in school). It really makes making contact so much easier, and German people will definitely like you if you try to speak German.

cavywhisperer

Cavy Slave
Wow your pigs are quite insistent when they want their veggies huh? :)

Oh yes, they are. Especially Othello. Once I held a piece of iceberg lettuce in my hand. He was nibbling at it so fast and greedily, I could not take back my fingers quickly enough, so he was actually nibbling a little piece off my fingernail. :eek:
If I do not feed them quickly enough, they "abuse" the grating of their cages, giving me a headache with the noise. They KNOW how to get what they want. ❤️

Nothing I love more than German cooking. Bratwursts especially. We have a German Restaurant in town here. And there is one down where my mother lives in Ohio. Everything is so good but the Beer is my favorite.

German cooking is allright. But I am not so enthusiastic about it, because it is often so - how do you say? - heavy: lots of meat, lots of fat, heaps of potatoes. Oooof! The only thing you can do after a German meal is going to bed immediately and digest for at least 2 days. :cheerful:
I love my Grandma's cooking. It was an easy and lighter version of traditional German cooking.
But you are right: Bratwurst is very nice (sometimes). And beer, I must admit, I am absolutely prejudiced about German beer. Never ever have I drunk (drunken, dranked, drinked - sh... - what's the right form?) a better beer anywhere else than in Germany. Do you drink a lot of German beer in the US?

Oh, now I became hungry while thinking about my Grandma's dishes. Will get myself something to eat and then watch my cavy TV.

Good night!!!

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Real good German food is VERY heavy that's a perfect word. I don't have it very often but sometimes I get a craving. My father used to soak the brats in beer with onions for several hours before grilling them. That's my favorite.
Depending on where you go you can get good German beer. Only certain stores carry any imports though. Spaten I think is a German beer and one of my favorites. Another favorite beer, is an English beer, Hobglobin. Its a darker beer but I love the flavor. I've found it only one store in Milwaukee.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.