Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Locating quality hay

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I am trying to locate some high quality hay for my rabbit. I have called some local feed stores but they only have timothy, and it is the coarse brown kind. On Saturday I called a local farm that sells hay, and they said that they have orchard grass hay that is really green. I bought two bales (one for my rabbit and one for the shelter). The bales were brownish on the outside but I thought they would be green on the inside(they smelled fresh). I was wrong, they are only slightly green and mostly brown. When I was at the farm they were sold out of first cut orchard grass and so I bought second-cut orchard grass. Would first-cut be a lot greener?

I have tried Oxbow orchard grass, he doesn't like it. I think I might buy small bags of oxbow timothy and Kaytee timothy to try. I am getting very frustrated trying to find bales of soft and GREEN hay. Why do they even sell brown hay? It doesn't seem that any animal would like it. I don't want to order online as shipping is astronomical for a bale, and it would be a lot of money wasted if he didn't like it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well, where do you live?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
first-cut is just the first cut of the season with the seed heads. Second cut is the leafier cut. Try (broken link removed) hay. No pet store, saves gas and time going there, cheaper, and fresher. It's awesome!

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I live in South Eastern Virginia and most of the online hay sources seem to be out west. If anyone knows of a hay company closer to the east coast please let me know, hopefully shipping would be less.

Thankfully Sterling has started eating the hay I got at the farm, although he is showing more interest in making a mess with it :)

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Try (broken link removed) They are located in CT and shipping is probably much better than from the west coast.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yep, NoVeil beat me to it. I've heard that hay is great, too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.