Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

good petco?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
yesterday, i went to a local petco and was surprised at what i saw. The guinea pigs there lived in humongous cages (about 3x5), three pigs to a cage, and were on carefresh bedding. It smelled fine so they were obviously cleaning oftenThey had fesh veggies, and TONS of hay. there was a hidey hole for everyone,a nd a couple of safe toys. No wheels! there were little notice boards posted all around the cage that said stuff like: "guinea pigs need to provided with extra vit. c every day in the form of fresh vegetables" "the best bedding to use is careFRESH" "they need unlimited hay" etc. I was very impressed and happy.

what do you all think?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i forgot to mention, their pellets were oxbow cavy performance as they were all still very young

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
someone? anyone??

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
TinaFabulous
TinaFabulous

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
That's great you found a good Petco. Unfortunatly not all Petco's are that good. I hope I can find one that takes good care of the live animals or doesn't sell animals at all!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
do you think it is ok to support this petco and buy their products?

TinaFabulous

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i dont really know either, because it still IS a petstore that sells live animals, but they take such good care of them...

TinaFabulous

piggielover92

Cavy Slave
I am not sure... They do sell live animals, but they sound like they take excellent care of them. I would go ahead and buy from them.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
If you buy from one Petco, you are supporting them all. The money does not stay within that one store - it funds each and every Petco across the nation.

TinaFabulous

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
very true, metalchica. besides, its not like there arent any other places i can get stuff from

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
I would go ahead and buy. I'm not ALL against petstores. So I can't judge them, and say I hate them, because all the one's I've been to are great.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Thats great that this petco takes good care of their animals! (could ya send me a pm about where it is at?)
I wouldn't buy stuff from them.
1) They are way to expensive, (if you really want to support a large chain pet store support Petsmart they are way cheaper.)
2) There are other petco's in this area (we live in the same area) that aren't good. You would be supporting them.
3) I just don't think you should do it. Find a feed store etc. that isn't a large chain store if you have to buy from a petstore.

CavyCrazyMom

Cavy Slave
Just to point out that a feed store, that I know for a fact one of the rescue groups uses, sells live animals in worse shape than any Pet store I have ever been in. Rabbits on wire floors with no where to rest their feet and chicks bred and sold there...what makes this OK to use and not a pet store?? I was just thinking that a lot of times we get into somehting that makes us mad, but then we don't look at the whole picture. If we were a rabbit or a chicken group we would be mad about that but we wouldn't nessesarily be talking crap about petstores, we'd be talking crap on the feed stores. But we don't because they don't sell pigs. Although I was told she could get me one if I was interested (wich I didn't take her up on btw).
I do think that feed stores are better to buy hay and stuff at because it's definately cheaper! And I buy my bedding at wal mart because it's cheaper too! (well, half of it, they don't carry carefresh...)
Anyway...I just wanted to bring up that point because if one is considered bad, then the other should be too and they should both be brought up. An animal is an animal, no matter what kind it is, and ALL animals deserve the same treatment and help from those of us that are willing to help.
~~Cheri~~

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
cavycrazymom, you bring up a valid point, and i just thought about something. Fish can not be adopted from the humane society or bought off of cavy classifieds, and still people do have to buy them from somewhere. so if everybody buys fish from a store, and all animals are supposed to be equal, then what is wrong with buying other animals from a store.

(I dont 100% percent agree with the above, just wanted to throw it in, get your guys' thoughts and feedback)

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Not all feed stores are bad you know.... Its just a matter of finding a good one. And they are not all connected like large chain petso's are. And sometimes I don't even undertsand the whole "Don't buy from petstores, oh and don't buy from feedstores if they sell live animals either" I mean where in heck Are you supposed to get your stuff from then. And most of those chicks and birds get bought. People raise them to eat, I don't think most people that buy them to eat care what kind of cage they are in when they buy them. And if they don't buy them to eat then they set them free in their yard to roam around. Oh and fish well I just don't what to say every one sells fishies......................................

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.