Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Spot

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, I got a new piggy today. She is a beautiful little one. Pigtures soon! She is getting along so well with the older pigs Montrey and Faith. Little Spot has earned a spot in my heart and family. She is 4 weeks old, her owner didn't want her anymore so they gave her and 11 other babies up to be shelter bait. I took one of 12. Poor little babies! All of them were so cute and most were girls. I saw another I fell for. I may go and adopt her whenever I update my C&C cage to a 2x4 or larger! The space will not be a problem until little Spot is grown up a little. She is so tiny and only weighs 3 oz. From looking at the older pigs they had she will be absolutly adorable! :] Would already have pigtures my my camera is dead out of batteries right now. We're taking the new baby to the vet for her first check up next week. We'll see how all goes. :cheerful:

Terekins

Cavy Slave
That's great that were able to rescue her :) Looking forward to photos.
Tere

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Thank you :]
I am so glad I did.
She would have had to gone to a petstore or a shelter if I wouldn't have.
Shes such a cutie. She has a messy hair doo.
I've been trying to figure out the youngest age they can get pregnant. Shes 4 weeks old and was being homed with boys and girls both. I read up somewhere that its 5 weeks old. If it is I got her out right on time!
We'll find out at the vet next week.
Lets hope for the best *fingers crossed*

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on adopting. I can't wait for pigtures. And yes, you should definitely get her to a vet ASAP. Females can get pregnant at around four weeks, even a bit earlier. There is a chance your new pig may be pregnant already. In addition, you didn't quarantine her before introducing her to the other pigs, so if she has a disease (mites, a URI, etc), chances are the others have it too. The faster you get her to a vet to see if she's pregnant or has a spreadable disease, the better. (Be sure if she is sick, you talk to your vet about treatment for the others as well.)

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Oh my. Well im still fairly new to this guinea pig stuff. I don't really know what quarentine is. I am taking her to the vet asap, maybe even schedule an appointment tomorrow. Shes been checked by an intern vet I was told, so I paid $40.00 adoption fee for her, but I am still going to schedule another appointment to make sure. Just to be on the safe side. Thanks TheQueen :]

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: Little miss Spot loves to jump around. Popping everywhere. Shes likes to popcorn. :] hehe. She is snoozing right now until the bigger girls wake her up for food time. I have her on medication to prevent URI and if she has it treat it, and then a vitamin that keeps her coat shiny and her healthy. Hopefully all goes good. Does vitamins help? that is one thing I need help on. The hole watch for URI thing and then definatly vitamins. My vet can watch out for URI. I need help with picking out right vitamins that will keep all my girls healthy and happy with their drinking water. If its nasty they will have to take tablets from the vet. Im pretty sure that is a choking hazard! well any help is appreciated!

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Quarantine is when you adopt a new pig you keep him/her seperated for three to four weeks to be sure they are healthy. That way, if something is wrong with them, the other pigs will not be infected. It can be a pain, but it's necessary. It sounds like you didn't know better, and it's okay, mistakes happen. Now that one won't happen again since you know better.

Have you taken her to the vet yet? If you haven't, take her off the medication for URI. What medication is it? Antibiotics, if given when not needed, can upset a pigs' stomach, cause other health problems, or even death if the wrong medicine is given. If the vet didn't prescribe it to you, don't give it to her until she sees the vet and you know for sure.

In addition, take the vitamins out of the water. Vitamins that go in the water, like Vitamin C, even, dissolve in the water, you don't know how much the pigs are getting, and some pigs don't like the taste of the water so they will not drink it. Plain, fresh water is all they need. Vitamins in the water do not help at all. In fact, as long as they are getting the correct amount of fresh veggies, with plenty of variety, they don't need vitamins period, even the orally fed ones. The veggies will provide them will all their nutritional needs, including vitamins and minerals.

So, lay off the medication until you see a vet, and ditch the vitamins period, and stick to good ol' veggies. Other than that, sounds like the new pig is a real sweetie. Any pigtures?

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Yes heres some pigtures. I have laid off the vitamins. The vitamins are the stuff that claims to prevent and treat URI. I forget what its called, its from 8-1. I haven't taken her to the vet yet, my vet hasn't been in for days. Makes me pretty mad, ugh. But anyways heres the pigtures.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Aw, what a precious piggy. I love her colours and markings. She looks like a real sweetie.

Have you gotten ahold of your vet yet? If they don't return in the next few days I suggest calling a different one. You can't wait forever and if Spot does having anything, like a URI, it will just get worse. Your vet will just have to deal with the loss of your business if they can't be there to run their office. I hope they come back so you can get her in for a checkup.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
No I still haven't got ahold of anyone. We just had a massive snow storm so no one is out on the roads. I will be taking them all to a vet in cinncinatti. Hes an exotic vet and people are saying they love him. I got him off the referral on the place where they give health tips. Forget the name. hmm. But anyways - Thank you for all the tips. The baby is as sweet as she can be. Shes still a little timid. Previous owners tossed her around, and I know she wasn't eating. Now shes really chubby, popcorns ALL the time. Her hole personality changed. When we went to pick her up she was hiding in the back of her small small cage, packed in with about 8 other litters the people were ready to dump off to a petstore or shelter. I just couldn't stand for that to happen. So I adopted the most timid to make sure she got a good home. All the others bit me when I picked them up, and Spot looked at me like "take me home, and give me food please!" So I took her. I paid $40 to get her out of them conditions. The owners wouldn't let her go without a "fight", well until I gave them money. Ugh! Makes me mad how they could get a cat or a dog and just dump off their first commitments! I know I do a rescue for puppies, and we have 7 - 5 week old puppies, plus their mom and 3 dogs of our own, a cat, 9 goats, 2 birds, then of course our 3 piggies. We are crowded, but we give all pets good loving homes! Commited for life. Right now the youngest pig is laying on my stomach enjoying her day. The bigger girls are tormenting her today. (their all on floor time) So shes sitting it out today to be with me. :) Shes about to nap so i better go and get the fleece out of the wash, take pictures, and feed all the animals lunch!

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: I changed floor time once again. Instead of having it in my bedroom, it will now be held in the bathroom. No limits. We don't have any wires or hazards, so luckily I have a new spot with no worries. The girls are getting along so well. We are getting one - two more piggies tomorrow. Excited? I'm not sure. I would rather be back down to two but five is fine. haha. :] We love our girls. Spot has earned her spot in our hearts already. We've had her a week now. She is 5 weeks old tomorrow. *1 month, 1 week* She is growing so big, and is almost a pound. Can't take pigtures for now because of my camera. Bateries suck. hm. *sighs*.
-snack times are coming along good, and we also decided to switch back from fleece to carefresh, everyone is upset about that change, expecially the little one. (Not the pigs, the baby). well I made a new hidey house today that is big enough for all 5 of them. Plus I added two others and a cozy. well a mini - cozy. I didn't realize how small it was until I got home =/ so now I have to rebuy! ugh. well keep you updated!

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
UPDATE: Spots doing really good. Tomorrow shes 6 weeks old. Shes getting so chubby and big now! I have to take all new pigtures because shes just getting so big. The girls pick on her sometimes now, but I guess that will stop when their cage gets updated two sizes bigger next weekend. Seems like every time I want to go to Target something comes up.

I am also using fleece now. I figured out with patience its alot easier than I thought. I'm not cleaning it everytime I see a poo. I clean it once a day and it takes at the most 20 minutes. I'm so down with the flow that I don't think it even takes me 15 minutes to pick up the poo with a dust pan, switch the fleece, clean the hay basket out and fill it up with fresh timothy, dump the pellets and refill it with fresh pellets, then clean the poo out of the cozy and the hidey basket (Spot sized). Then I put all the things back in, put the pigs back in the cage, clean up the poo from floor time, then wash the fleece. Right now floor times needing a cleaning today. I've been up with a sick little 'Taz' today. Hes being treated for ear mites right now. (no hes not a guinea pig, hes a 4 1/2 - 5 week old border collie puppy, one of 6 fosters)

freddy's mom

Cavy Slave
I don't know about anyone else, but I am loving reading your posts here! Your new little one is adorable - I assume you're upgrading your C&C if you're getting 2 more? 3 more (sorry - in a hurry and not checking back through all posts...)? I am far away from anywhere offering decently priced materials, but am blessed to have friends in the city where my husband works who are going really out of their way to get the stuff for me! Yay, me! My piggy will be so thrilled. I am so excited for you for your babies. Sure hope the vet visit shows a surprisingly well baby!

IMPORTANT!: If you have not yet found this information, I noticed in one of your posts that you asked about food and vitamins? I have found the food charts/ vitamin charts and sample menus to be indispensible! They are found on this site, I believe with at least links to them in the diet and nutrition forum. Since I don't have the right pellets, I haven't been feeding any pellets to my pig at all lately, and he's not missing them! Salads and plenty of timothy (you'll need some alphalpha for your baby) hay have been plenty for him! Good luck with everything! Sounds like fun!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.