Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I'm New (with Pics)

AmyDepp

Cavy Slave
Hey Peeps
I'm new to the site. I have 2 piggies. :love: Theo and Mike they are from a Shelter, I was told they are brothers. I am not sure what kind of Guinea pigs they are. If u have any Idea please post.
I am Amy.

:love: This is Theo

:love: This is Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Fay

Cavy Slave
Welcome and you have very pretty guinea pigs!They look like a smooth hair and some sort of longer haired mix, probably abyssinian/smooth haired.

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forums :)
Your pigs are so cute! They look like abbysinians, but Theo's hair looks longer than my abby's - I guess he just has longer hair.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Theo may be an Aby mix but he has Abyssinian in him. He could be an Aby/Silkie mix or an Abyruvian (Aby + Peruvian).

Mike is an Abyssinian.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Theo may be an Aby mix but he has Abyssinian in him. He could be an Aby/Silkie mix or an Abyruvian (Aby + Peruvian).

Mike is an Abyssinian.

Hmmm... so does that mean they could still be brothers or no?

Fay

Cavy Slave
Not sure if they are Abruvians because they have very smooth and short hair but I could be wrong! I still think they are more likely to be a mix between an abysinnian and a smooth haired pig. Because my Wookie is Abruvian (We are pretty sure). On first glance she looks like an abyssinian but the hair on her bum grows longer then the rest like a peruvian(but we cut it shorter to match the rest) she doesn't have rough edged rosettes and she has very wild hair that grows in all kinds of directions, The hair on her head usually grows over her face like a peruvian (but we cut it short so it stands more upwards then forward) she also prefers to be petted from the back to front (like a peruvian) my Pig leia is a peruvian so it's a good reference however it could just be she has more abyssinian in her then peruvian:

Last edited:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Yes, they can still be brothers. Due to genetics, one litter can throw off a variety of different types of pigs due to what genes the parents carry.

I have an abyruvian too. Attached is a pic of her. She has a lovely rooster butt plume.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Ahhh okay. Makes sense. I never knew anything about how the litters worked.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Ly, you should be a cavy vet.

You know so much about them.

Fay

Cavy Slave
I have an abyruvian too. Attached is a pic of her. She has a lovely rooster butt plume.

Your pig definitely has more peruvian in her then abyssinian. Perhaps she could just be a peruvian of some sort? Can't really tell from that picture. This is my pig Leia, she's a peruvian if you want a reference (We cut her hair so she has this pluck of hair sticking out that can't decide which way to grow) :

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I am probably a bit old to be going to vet school but I have thought about maybe becoming a vet tech. I am disabled but still mobile and not dead yet.

Thanks for the compliment.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Iiiii don't think you're THAT old. Have you seen some of the vets out there? Even doctors in general.
Hah. The dermatologist I went to last was like 85. Seriously. He was getting ready to go at any time. Heh. The called me like a month after my visit and told me he had passed away. So I guess he really was getting ready to go at any time.

A vet tech would be awesome.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Finna isn't a classic peruvian, she's a mix. Finna has the classic Aby build but she has the rooster plume and the hair on her head goes forward towards her eyes but if she was all peruvian, it would grow down over her eyes, but it doesn't.

Fay

Cavy Slave
awww cute picture. Ye I have the same thing with Wookiee, her hair starts growing towards her face but stops at a point whilst Leia's hair keeps growing till she can't see anymore. Wookiee clearly has more abyssinian in her so that's why I was wondering. I still feel Amy's pigs haven't really got peruvian in them from what I can tell. They don't seem to have those characterizes of a peruvian. They look more like a smooth haired pig with a few abyssinian hair plucks sticking out. So they would be like Smoothinians? lol

Spike

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I cant tell but they look like abyssinian short hair to me but i just cant tell.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums Amy. Your piggies look very nice and thanks for sharing.

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Aw, they're great lookin guys :) Thanks for all the info Ly&Pigs and Fay, now I know my Sherman is probably an Abyssinian. He has a mohawk and rosettes. It's amazing the variety in physical characteristics. Even their body structures vary; My other pig Oda is an english short hair (a smoothy?) and I find the shape of his bum is different than Sherman's, and the placement of the ears, shape of the nose...

Fay

Cavy Slave
Ye terekins they all look very different! Which I find very fascinating! Just look at the face structures of each of my pigs, they look so different!:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.