Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Thinking About Getting a Hamster

MsGizziBingly

Cavy Slave
I have been trying to find good information online, but most sites I look at are saying the exact opposite of other sites and vis versa and so on about basically everything from the type of hamster to buy, how many [1 or 2]; food [pellet feed AND fruits/veggies] bedding; cages; everything!

So I thought. "Hey, this site has done wonders for me and my cavies.. why not see what it can do for future hammies too" So those of you that have Hammies, heres your time to shine! Tell me your stories, share your input, help out someone who wants to rescue and enjoy a hamster like many of you. :]

Thank you in advance, :]

MsGizziBingly

Cavy Slave
Or if you happen to know of any GOOD Hamster Websites that don't have false/misguiding information, that would help too.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Well hammies are a lot easier than guinea pigs (in my opinion!). Do you get 'Harry Hamster' food where you are? here in the UK it is deemed the best avaialable. I know Oxbow are developing a hamster range though. You must remember they require meat and vegetables too in their diet.

Shredded plain kitchen roll makes a greatbedding, not this horrible cotton wool stuff you find for sale. A lot of people lie to use carefresh or kiln-dried shavings for the base, I use shavings as it's cheaper!

As for cages, there appears to be a lot of talk lately about plastic tubs as cages but I don't like these as they look awful and the hammies like to climb the bars, well all of mine have. I use a combination of a wire cage with rotastak on top which l find aways goes down well with my hammies. I don't use too many tubes in between rooms either.

I will look up the site that I find very good later for you!

MsGizziBingly

Cavy Slave
Thank you SO much! I'll look into the Harry Hamster Food.. someone told me about Mazuri too.. but I don't know.

I have seen the "Build a Bin" Cages.. and they look amazing, if build properly. However I don't have the tools to build one. So I've asked around about paying someone. But I'm still looking into other cages like 10+ gallon and stuff... if I could find Mesh or the super small hole grids I'd use that! But we will see...

Yes yes any websites would be great. I mean of course I've looked around at some, but all the information is conradictory [sp?] So I thought asking here would be the best bet for the Good sites :)

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
A 10 is to small most people say a 20 gallon mimium but I found it to small for even one little mouse.
However I don't have the tools to build one.
I build mine using only wire cutters,

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I like the Rotastak cage system as it mimics the hamsters natural habitat.

dscf3247.jpg

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Im pretty sure you cant get those in the U.S.
And the round cages stresses them out beacuase they like to sleep/potty/store food in corners.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Well I've attached my rotastak system to a tyical wire cage and all past hamsters + current, have always prefered the rotastak system bit for everything...

MsGizziBingly

Cavy Slave
Well for now I have a 10 gallon tank, then in a week or two when I find all the supplies and the tools, I'm going to make a "Bin cage" they are amazing. .they are like the CC cages for hamster.. haha in a way.... better than store bought cages.. and easy to make/maintain.

Also I am getting Mallomar [thats his name, isnt it CUTE!] Saturday, I have to drive 1.5 hours to get him, but I'm excited!!!

<3<3<3

MsGizziBingly

Cavy Slave
Im pretty sure you cant get those in the U.S.
And the round cages stresses them out beacuase they like to sleep/potty/store food in corners.

thank you, I just learned that about a month ago. Thats why I always try to get all the info I can before getting the animal.. I dont want to start off on the wrong feet.. or paw..

MsGizziBingly

Cavy Slave
Mallomar is now in my care! YAY! I'm so excited! I love him. He is my new baby!

Pictures soon!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If he's a syrian hamster, you will want him by himself. Dwarf hammies can be kept in pairs or more.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.