Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Goodbye little Mama!!

• Thread starter PiggieMamaKelly
  • Start date

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I feel like writing a tribute to my sweet girl who passed away last Thursday. I don’t mind if not a soul reads this; I just want to put my love out into space in case she’s able to feel it, and maybe for a little closure. I will miss her more than she would ever be able to know. She was my first guinea pig and the most irreplaceable thing I’ve ever lost.

I took her from my little brother who begged me to take her from him because he was sick of taking care of her. She was fat and lazy and I only took her because I felt sorry for her. My brother could not remember the last time he had held her, and she lived in the smallest petstore cage I’ve seen. I found Cavy Cages almost immediately and built a C&C, tried to bond her to a friend, started feeding her well, etc. She went from fat and boring, to curious, lively and became quite beautiful as a thinner pig. It is a testament to her spirit that I got four more pigs after her, and have fallen in love with guinea pigs as pets. I used to want a dog so badly, but my husband is allergic. I would get depressed to think of living my whole life without a dog in my home, and thought I couldn’t survive. Now, because of Mama, I don’t EVER want a dog!! I love pigs too much to share my time!

Mama was 4 years old when I brought her home, and she began to show signs of aging at around 5. She took on more of a waddle than a walk, and soon we had to take away her second story because she had too much trouble getting up and down. She even got gray hairs. Eventually she began a gradual weight loss, which rapidly increased four or five months ago. This winter her body just gave out on her, and she withered down to fur and bones until her time just ran out. She was a few months shy of 7 years old when she died, and what I wouldn’t give for 7 more years with her!

I will never forget her love of people (and hatred of pigs!). My friends would marvel at how calm she was, always wanted to hold her and compared her to a little dog. When all other pigs scrambled to escape the dust buster, Mama would stay put and I would have to pick her up to vacuum under her. Her favorite pastimes were waddling through her 12-pack coke box again and again, and pulling the other pigs’ hair through the grids. My fondest recent memory of her was early December when we had warm weather. I took her out back with me and let her munch on grass a few times. When she got full she waddled over to me and crawled under my blanket, cuddling up to me and falling asleep.

I will miss you old girl!!

DSCN0836.jpg

mkkayla

Cavy Slave
What a loving tribute. I'm glad she got to enjoy her final years as the companion to someone who loved her as much as you. God speed little one.

Tulip

Cavy Slave
Oh, what a sweetheart she sounds like! I'm so sorry for this loss ~ You obviously had a great love for her! Sending your way thoughts, prayers, and hugs ~

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Oh I am so very sorry, may she rest in peace. She was a real beauty.

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
What a wonderful memorial for Mama! I'm really sorry for your loss. Mama was very loved.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Sorry for your loss, Mama was such a beautiful pig! Very nice tribute, I'm sure Mama knows how much you loved her. Godspeed, Mama!

Terekins

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad she got to live with you for as long as she did. It's obvious you were a great mom and a great friend to her. Your tribute to her made my eyes water! That's so funny you had to pick her up to vacuum and that she like to pull other pigs' hair through the grids.
Take care,
Tere

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the warm words everyone!

I too loved that she pulled on the other pigs' hair through the grids. She was a sassy one!

Pamela Barr

Cavy Slave
Rest in peace Mama. I have a piggie named Mama also but she doesn't like to be around people, she's very scared of everything.

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
Your tribute brough tears to my eyes.

I hope you can take comfort in knowing that she had all the best and you gave her all the love in the world, and you shared so much together.

it's always so hard to lose a pet we love so much

Pauli

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. Mama was such a beautiful pig and it's good to know she was in your hands. Rest in Peace Mama.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys. It's so sad because there isn't just an empty space in the cage, there's one less cage! She was a loner pig so her entire 2X3 is just gone. I had a hard time taking it apart.

hlover100

Cavy Slave
I've been reading these and they're so sad. (I can't see my screen my eyes are so filled with tears.) I do wish you the best of luck in recovering your broken heart. Losses of those you love are so painful, but time will heal, even if it's not a 100%, some light will shine back to you.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
I am truely sorry to hear of your loss. I know you loved Mama. I am sure she is in guinea pig heaven now. Grazing grass and popcorning, telling you she is doing okay. Letting you know shes really looking forward for the day you re-unite.
R.I.P mama

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.