Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Free time

Sierra

Cavy Slave
My parents are afraid of a guinea pig pooping and peeing all over the carpet in my bedroom or in the living room or where ever I would have the guinea pig loose. I told them I would put newspaper down in my bedroom where I have blue carpet, linoleum underneath (my mom has some left over from when we did the bathroom and bedroom) and then a pet playpen divider across one side of the room or something. They say that I shouldn't let them out, but if I get one I will anyways, and show them that I can control it. What do you guys say I should do to make them feel better and show them that won't happen, rarely if it does.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
you could have floor time in the bathroom, if it has a non-carpeted floor. thats what we are doing.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
Okay, I might try that. But I thinks sectioning off my bedroom or the living room would be easier, I don't know, I'll just have to wait and see. There's an area of the kitchen I could use too.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
for me, the bathroom was super easy, all i did was pen the door off with three connected grids, and it was really easy. i dont have to worry about dirty carpet either!

Sierra

Cavy Slave
That's probably what I'll end up doing.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You can use a shower curtain underneath the play area. When you're done, take it outside, shake it out, wipe it down, and that's it!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
You can use a shower curtain underneath the play area. When you're done, take it outside, shake it out, wipe it down, and that's it!
oh, yes. forgot to mention this. i've heard it works really great

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Flannel backed vinyl tablecloths work well for playtime too. One standard size tablecloth ($2.50) is large enough for a nice play area. We put a handful of bedding down for them to pee in (or wait for a pee spot and put bedding on it.) When they are done, you can fold it up, take it out and shake it clean. Very neat and easy to use.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
NoVeil said:
Flannel backed vinyl tablecloths work well for playtime too. One standard size tablecloth ($2.50) is large enough for a nice play area. We put a handful of bedding down for them to pee in (or wait for a pee spot and put bedding on it.) When they are done, you can fold it up, take it out and shake it clean. Very neat and easy to use.
thats another good idea! where did you get your tablecloth

Denise

Cavy Slave
I got my flannel-backed vinyl tablecloths at a dollar-store type place for .97 each. The work really well and can even be washed in the washing machine on gentle cycle if needed.

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Wouldn't the pee just roll everywhere when you tried to take it outside to clean it?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
You'd have to wipe it down before taking it outside. I lay down some newspapers, and then put the play pen on top of them. Put some hay down and the pigs are happy as pie :)

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
wipe it down, roll it up, hose it off. thats what id do for shower curtains and tablecloths

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I put a handful of bedding on any pee spots before I roll it up or I use a paper towel. Usually, if there is a pee spot and I put bedding there, they tend to go over there for the rest of floor time.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
The shower curtain idea sounds awesome, I'll see what my mom says about it! I'm sure we can find a cheap shower curtain in some store around here, he he.

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
I don't have a pig yet, he he. I will be getting one and my sister will be getting one, so we have two together to keep each other company. :D My mom said I could do the shower curtain thing, so thanks for your ideas! :D

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
today i went to joanns and they were selling vinyl w/ fleece back material for really cheap (it looks ecactly like tablecloth) we bought lots and then we got home and i cut big pieces that would fit evenly in different rooms of the house. so wherever i am in the house, i have to roll out the cut vinyl, line it with my pen made out of grid and cable ties, and they have a new spot to play. I made one for my room that goes right nest to my desk, so I'll have them near me when i am studying or doing homework.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
We got a large white shower curtain, I hope it works!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.