Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about Floor time.

applelady

Cavy Slave
I was looking into buying a couple of playpens to connect to make a large area for floor time, but got to thinking, if I put them in a play pen, then I am kindof defeating the purpose of floor time aren't I? But if I don't put my current pig in something he goes straight for under the couch and will stay there until I bait him out, and put him back in his cage. So what do you all do for floor time? Do you use a pen of some sort?

JarBax

Cavy Slave
My 4 piggies cage is quite big to begin with (5 x 3 with 1 x 7 loft including 2 x 3 kitchen) - so floortime is only once a week - to allow me to clean out the cage.

The floortime pen is 8 x 5, and I think this is where one of the real reasons for floortime lies. The floortime space should be bigger than the cage space - therefore giving the pigs more freedom, and excercise, and room to explore a different environment. If I were to let my girls loose in the sitting room - where their cage is, they would do exactly as your pig is doing, and find the most awkward space to hide in/under - there are loads of them available!

I either make a pen of cable-tied grids, and line with groundsheet, papers, sheet and fleece, using different hideys etc - or let them roam in the bathroom, with towels laid on the floor.

Another essential of floortime, is that is must be easy and quick to set up and dismantle - so that it is done regularly (daily for pigs in small cages). If your floor pens extend your pigs' usual cage space, and you create an interesting and stimulating environment, then that is far more important than if you allow them free range of your sitting room (where they will just hide under the furniture).

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Floor time is really just a name. What you're looking for is a large area that is a change of scenery for your pig to run around in. I can't do open floor time either. The door to my animal room doesn't close completely, and I have 2 cats and a dog that would be very interested in a small running critter, so my pigs have an extra box of grids that I cable tied together as a pen. They run around, play with a big grass ball, play follow the leader through a piece of PVC pipe, and eat veggies and hay till they about bust.

ljm0104

Cavy Slave
I had extra grids left over from when I made my cage and connected those with cable ties. To make a big playpen, it is about three by six when out.

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Floor time is really just a name. What you're looking for is a large area that is a change of scenery for your pig to run around in. I can't do open floor time either. The door to my animal room doesn't close completely, and I have 2 cats and a dog that would be very interested in a small running critter, so my pigs have an extra box of grids that I cable tied together as a pen. They run around, play with a big grass ball, play follow the leader through a piece of PVC pipe, and eat veggies and hay till they about bust.

I'm just curious, do you somehow cover the floortime "cage" so that your dog and cat aren't a danger? I have a cat who would hop right in there with the pigs if I didn't have it covered.

Also, for those who use the bathroom, do you do anything special for safety reason? Is there anything I should look out for?
Thank you :)

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I don't have other pets (just a giant land snail - who poses no threat whatsoever to the pigs) so floortimes don't have that danger-issue. Though if I did have a cat or dog - I would make sure the door to the floortime area was securely closed (infact, I think I would put a lock on it - to make sure) - and I wouldn't leave them un-supervised.

As for in the bathroom - obviously don't leave anything lying around (eg. bottle of toilet cleaner/toilet rolls/sharp razors) for the piggies to reach. I'm trying to think of possible dangers here!

Cover the floor in towels and/or fleece - this will prevent the pigs from slipping if you have vinyl type flooring. I cut a slit in a couple of toilet roll tubes, and wrap them around the radiator pipes, just to keep the pigs' noses away from any direct heat. The best thing I think, is to crawl around on the floor, pretending to be a guinea pig - that way you'll find any possible dangers - before they do! :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.