Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I guess I should introduce myself....

Jenah

Cavy Slave
I'm Jenah and I'm the proud owner of Pilot. She is a female black and rust colored Abyssinian. I'm guessing she's about 2.5 years old. I've had her since September 2004 and I think she was a few months old at that point.

Yes I bought her at a pet store - Petco to be exact. And from all of the research I've done, it would seem as if she and I both got lucky. She wasn't ill or damaged in any way. Ironically I had done a lot of research before buying Pilot - but that was more in the way of researching the animal itself and deciding if it would be the right pet for my young son [now 9.5 years old] and me. It wasn't until after I purchased Pilot, that I started to really dig down deep in research mode and learned that I had committed a huge faux pas in purchasing her at a store.

Although I do have to say that all guineas need good homes! Am I right or what? lol

Anyway I recently also created a very large living space for Pilot [after doing so much digging around this forum] which is 43" x 58". I don't use the coroplast since Pilot goes pee in the litter box I made for her. But she loves larger space. I had a large cage for her [yes bought at a pet store - hush!] and we gave her regular floor time and lap time - but I learned that she needed more room on a regular basis. So - voila!

AND we're going to be introducing Pilot to a few guineas in a local rescue today in the hopes that she will hit it off with one that we can adopt and take home. As much as we shower her with attention - I know she'll be even happier having a furry friend.

Not sure what else to say. I'm a single mom. I love animals. And I take my responsbilities as a pet-parent very seriously. And I'm raising my son that way.

So - hello!

p.s. I need to figure out how to upload some photos.....

Jenah

Cavy Slave
I thought I would be able to edit my post - but I cannot find the button that would allow me to do so. Anyway I did upload three photos into the galleries.

Here is a photo of Pilot taken in her old cage that was large but still not large enough obviously eating her favorite Romaine. And then there are 2 photos of the larger habitat we built for her.

p.s. I see that I can edit this post but not my first one. Interesting.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Very nice cage. Are you planning on adopting a friend for Pilot?

And you can only edit your posts for 10 minutes after posting. You probably don't see an edit button on either of your posts now.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
She's a real cutie. Nice cage too looks very neat and nice. Welcome to the forums.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
She is cute and it sounds like she has a great mom :). That is a really large cage! By the way though, you might want to invest in some coroplast before adopting a second pig, they might not be as well trained as Pilot and we wouldn't want you to get your floor ruined.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
First of all Welcome to GPC.

Although I do have to say that all guineas need good homes! Am I right or what?
This is not directed at you personally but the pigs that should be homed first are the shelter/rescue pigs. There are hundreds of thousands of homeless pigs. What most people don't realize is that when they buy a pig from a pet store they aren't rescuing it, they are making a purchase. By making that purchase they are either knowingly or unknowingly condoning pig mills, breeders and the stores selling animals.

I am not jumping on your or bashing you but making a statement that I've made probably a hundred times already. I have a pig that came from a pet store, many of us on the forum were uneducated and bought pigs. But we've since learned why it's bad to buy any type of animals from pet stores.

Jenah

Cavy Slave
I agree that Pigs in rescues need primary attention. But like I had said, when I purchased Pilot I was not as aware as I am now.

I actually adopted a companion for Pilot today from a local rescue after a several hours-long meet/greet session between Pilots and their other guineas. And I would adopt in the future.

That being said, I still feel that all of them deserve loving homes.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Congrats on adopting! When do we get to see pictures of the new girl?

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
Love the cage, that is a two pig haven! Now you need a couple more, to fill it hehehe :crazy:

I agree with you 100% that all guinea's need and deserve good homes. Unfortunately though, when we purchase them from pet stores, we only doom more pigs. The empty spot in the pet store creates a demand, the pet mill breeds another sow and supplies the demand, so the number of pigs needy of homes grows, and shelter pigs sit waiting.
Trust me, I am not barking at you, I purchased TWO pigs before I dug further and found out about pet stores and mills etc. This is simply an explanation of why we do more harm than good by loving the ones behind the glass at the petstore. :)

THANK YOU, for finding the information, absorbing it, and adopting your 2nd pig. ❤️

Jenah

Cavy Slave
Congrats on adopting! When do we get to see pictures of the new girl?

Thanks - actually I have 3 photos in the Open Multi Level Cages gallery - and you can see Emma in one of them. She is snow-white.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.