Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi I'm new.

texanpyromaniac

Cavy Slave
Hi my name is Nichole. I'm new to this website and guinea pigs. My dad just said I could have one. I was wondering if anyone had any sugestions for cavy books that would be good to read before I get a guinea pig. Also, I want to adopt a guinea pig, but I'm having a hard time finding any shelters around my town. Does anyone know of some in Texas?

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Hey and welcome to the site! Well as far as cavy books...I'm not sure of any but if you research around the site and GL I'm sure you will get a lot of even more info. then some of those Cavy books. I think I have heard of a really big rescue somewhere in Texas but you can look on petfinder.com and on your local newspaper even. Also when you adopt try getting a buddy for one, guineapigs are social animals and love having some of there own kind around.

Last edited:

texanpyromaniac

Cavy Slave
I am considering getting two. I would really like to have two. I think that big rescue here is the Texas Rustlers Rescue, but it's around Dallas and my parents think that's to far of a drive. I have been searching this site and there is some great information. Thanks!

texanpyromaniac

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Texas Rustlers is great.. I will probably adopt from there sometime in the future..

Where in Texas is jasper? A rescue in Houston that sometimes has pigs is CAP- Citizens For Animal Protection pet adoption shelter

You can also search on petfinder and craigslist a lot of times people on craigslist are needing to find homes for their pigs.

EDIT:

Also Ly is quite right, many of the books made for guinea pig care are terrible. Before finding this site I bought one, and looking back, the information is very wrong and can be dangerous if followed.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Right now CAP has 3 pigs for adoption.. 2 females (a mother and daughter) and one male.. although there is no friend available for the male..

texanpyromaniac

Cavy Slave
Yeah, Jasper's about three hours from Houston.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.