Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hmmm????!!!

SMORESBOSS

Cavy Slave
Hey yesterday I was taking my pig out of her cage and i saw white flakes on the fleece then I picked her up and I was searching in her fur and found white flakes on that too.What should I do is there something wrong with her. I think it might be dandraugh (sorry if i spelled it wrong). Any suggjestions (sorry if I spelled that wrong too).

pignewton

Cavy Slave
It could be a number of things - a fungal infection, mites or lice. Go to guinealynx.com for advice!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Whatever it may be, take your guinea pig to your vet for confirmation and treatment. If you have more than one piggy - take them all - if it is mites, they will all need treatment at the same time. It could also be caused by a parasitic or fungal infection - the vet will be able to help you best.

Here are links to a couple of possibilities:

Guinea Lynx :: Fur Mites

Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites

Early diagnosis and treatment are recommended for reducing stress to your guinea (and therefore you!). I hope this helps. Best wishes.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Agree with the others here.

Also, be careful not to confuse Lice with Mites. They are not related and have different symptoms and treatments but sometimes I see people get them confused.

Just wanted to add that I've been that guinea pigs don't just get dandruff.

If the skin is flaking, then there is something wrong that needs attention. If left untreated mites can slowly kill an animal. Here is a good example of what happens when they are not treated: Guinea Lynx :: Topic - Mites---Before & After w/ treatment of Ivermectin

The only other thing I know of that can cause flaking of the skin is if you bathe them to frequently or with the wrong kind of shampoo, say once a week or more. There is also a slim chance they have been exposed to something that will cause an allergic reaction such as cedar shavings etc. However, shavings are also famous for harboring mites, so you can't even go by that without a visit to a CAVY SAVVY vet.

Do not go to a regular vet. They have to be certified to care specifically for Cavies. Do not assume that because they are an "Exotics" vet that they know anything about them. Just like regular doctors, most vets have areas of expertise-- so you need to know what those are. Are they more into birds, or reptiles or small mammals? To find out if they are CURRENT and up to date on their guinea pig experience you can ask a few key questions. Use this handy guide to find a good vet in your area. Remember, it's YOUR job to take care of your
Guinea Lynx :: Finding a Veterinarian

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.