Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Troubles

ELLEN WEBER

Cavy Slave
My family just recently bought 2 new cavies. This is our first experience with them. My daughter has one in her classroom that we have brought home a few times and we fell in love with him. (TJ Sqeakers) So last month we decided to adopt a couple. Snickers & Recess. I bought a cage from the pet store. It is a "MY First Home" for the guinea pig. I bought the larger model because we were getting 2 cavies. The cage measures 30" long and 17"wide. Unfortunatley I didn't pay much attention to the door on it. It has a door on the side but not one on top. It didn't take long to realize that getting the pets out is not so easy with the side door. I have another cage I bought (alot smaller) that has the top door but it is too small for both pets. My question is: Is there anywhere I can buy a top with a door in it for this cage? The cage is made of wire and comes in several pieces. I have looked on the internet without much luck. Or is there anyway to modify this one and make it work. I do plan to buy a bigger cage in the future but really can't afford to now. After the cost of the cavies, cages, playpen and all the other accessories I bought I just can't see spending alot more money right now. Any suggestions? Thanks alot!
Ellen

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Personally...I would take both cages back and build a C&C cage. Even if youput those two cages together they will not be big enough for two pigs.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
I agree with DaCourt. You can build a great cage with the instructions from this site and it will cost you lots less than the small store cages do.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I am guessing you probably paid in the neighborhood of 60.00 for the my first home. You can build a CC Cage that is twice the width and 3x the length for 40.00 or less. I would clean the store bought cage, and return it. ;)

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
You can certainly modify your cage easily with a little creativity and a few dollars for some grids and coroplast. Grids cost 15 bucks for a box and coroplast is usually around 10 bucks a sheet. Many people simply zip tie the grids to the sides of the petstore cage use the petstore cage as a "kitchen" to keep the hay in.

There are many examples of how to make doors and lids in the gallery as well. Most folks don't need doors because they just lift up the top to get the piggers.

Take a look at the "photo galleries" link at the top of this pagefor ideas on how you could do it.. If you go to "closed cages" you'll see over 100 images of ideas that people have posted. Overall there are over 1600 pictures posted by members who built their own cages from the information provided off our homepage. Nearly everyone here at GPC has built our own cage. Some of us have more money than others, and most cages evolve over time. They are very fun family projects and my hubby and I had a lot of fun designing our own cavy habitat.

Here is one that I thought looked simple and definitely dog/cat proof.

100_0580.jpg

avcavies

Cavy Slave
I love my C&C cage! It was fun to build, easy on my purselol, it has plenty of room for my pigs to roam unlike store bought cages, and most importantly my pigs absolutely love it! Good luck!

Trickey280

Cavy Slave
I paid $65 about, for my c&c cage. I bought a large box of grids though, I built a 2x4 cage and there are enough grids left over to build another one. I also bought 5 yards of fleece. If I only bought the stuff to make the cage it would have been about $35 but they got fleece and a new tube. My husband doesn't get to attached to animals but he loves his little wheek wheeks, he was very adament about building them the best cage. My pigs are now more social with each other and with us they run to the side of the cage to be petted. So I suggest doing the c&c cage. If you don't want to build one I have seen them on ebay but you will pay more for a premade one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.