Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay+Feed+Bedding Suggestions

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
TinaFabulous

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well... To be honest I don't think your choices are that great. The hay from pet store isn't always the best. Have you tried your local feed store or farm? You can buy hay by the bale. I've got a bale that 2foot by 3 foot and it cost me £4. Also you can try oxbow cavy cuisine. I've heard its quite good.

My whole garage is full of guinea pig supplies, buts its so worth it. I won't need to get any stuff for them (I mean bedding, pellets and hay) for another two months.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
TinaFabulous said:
Hi!
I don't know that much about what feed hay or bedding I should be using. I usually buy normal guinea pig food at walmart, I get my hay from the pestore, and buy bulk pine bedding (don't worry its kiln-dried). Are these good choices, I don't really feel like im getting my money's worth for the hay and the food dosnt seem that great either. I can't afford to buy pricy food, bedding or hay. Honestly if its more costly than what I use now, my parents wont probably think its a good idea. I looked at some of the other topics suggestions for hay and feed, but the shipping prices look terrible. Does anybody know any REASONABLY priced feed bedding, or hay I should consider using?
Depends on how much the kiln dried pine is, um which food is it at Walmart? For hay I would definantly buy a big bale and store it. Kleemas hay is reccomended, but if you can find a good bale at a local feed store go for it. Are you buying pine in bulk it is a lot cheaper if you do, like I just got 10 cu. FT of pine for 6.95 great deal! Cavy Cuisine is a little steep, even if you buy online (the shipping is too high) but its worth it my piggs love it! Um for about five lbs. not shipped in a store I think it would be any where from $7 to $10. I pay 7.50 for 5 lbs and 11.99 for 10 lbs, I found a place where I can get a better price before I was paying 8.99 for 5 lbs.

TinaFabulous

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
TinaFabulous said:
My bedding is bought in bulk it was a really good buy. Umm... Acutally its sort of whatever food is there. I think I used Festa once but thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Ive looked at the cavy cousine and shipping was over $10, and Id really like to not deal with shipping. What is the best-quality food i can buy at a petstore? Food from the petstore is way more realistic for me. About the hay, I think thats a bit overkill even with my bulk buying habits. Is there anything that I can get thats better quality than a petstore's but not so big as to get a whole bale of it?

I buy mini bales sometimes they are excellent quality hay the company is Natures Cafe (mini bale 3.99), um look here to see if a store near you carries oxbow products (broken link removed)

Um I have been asking that question too, I want to know what food is ok other than Cavy Cuisine.
I don't blame ya I hate shipping I refuse buy online unless shipping is less than $10 .

Denise

Cavy Slave
Tina, If you want Cavy Cuisine, e-Bay has it for about $13.50 for 10# and shipping is only $1.95! Shipping is free at the Ferret Store with orders of $35.00 or more. I got my food there along with some hay and a chube. It only took two days to get here. I won't have to buy Cavy Cuisine again for quite a while!

TinaFabulous

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Denise said:
Tina, If you want Cavy Cuisine, e-Bay has it for about $13.50 for 10# and shipping is only $1.95! Shipping is free at the Ferret Store with orders of $35.00 or more. I got my food there along with some hay and a chube. It only took two days to get here. I won't have to buy Cavy Cuisine again for quite a while!

Mncavylover what do you feed your pigs? Cavy cuisine? Do you know of any other food that is ok to feed to piggies?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I feed my pigs Cavy Performance. I haven't found out the info on Wagner's, and I'm looking around, but that's it for now. For hay, (broken link removed). Best hay on the planet. No pet store, no gas loss, no wasted time, bulk buys, fresher, just better hay! Bedding--aspen. What bedding do you use? If it's Kaytee, I'm not sure that it really is kiln-dried. It says so, but then goes on to say that it has aromatic oils. Indeed, interesting. Oh well! Any more questions?

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
I feed my pigs Cavy Performance. I haven't found out the info on Wagner's, and I'm looking around, but that's it for now. For hay, (broken link removed). Best hay on the planet. No pet store, no gas loss, no wasted time, bulk buys, fresher, just better hay! Bedding--aspen. What bedding do you use? If it's Kaytee, I'm not sure that it really is kiln-dried. It says so, but then goes on to say that it has aromatic oils. Indeed, interesting. Oh well! Any more questions?

I haven't heard anything either, but my vet gave me a little bit of info on it. And stuff whether she thought it was ok or not. I posted it in a different thread.

TinaFabulous

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, great! (psst--I still recommend km's hay!) Thanks for the info, cinn&sprinn--I must have missed that.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
  • I buy kiln dried pine from a feed store - 10 cu ft for $8
  • Orchard Hay from same feed store - $20/bale
  • Cavy Cuisine from my vet for $10/5lbs (ferretstore.com charges about $9 for the same thing but you need to order over $35 to get free shipping so what the hey, I pay an extra dollar)
  • Sometimes romaine lettuce from Costco - about 6 heads for $3-4
  • Other veggies from farmers market - about $2 per week
And yes, I know all you who pay $6 per bale of hay are shocked at my hay price but I live in Orange County and that's what it costs around here. It's still a far better price than any place else I can get hay including Kleenmama's. That $20 of hay will last me 6mo-1yr.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
LiciaMommycott said:
And yes, I know all you who pay $6 per bale of hay are shocked at my hay price
lol. i guess me a cinn are really spoiled with the prices around here, right cinn&sprin?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.