Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK UK Resources

thalestral

Cavy Slave
One of the things I found quite difficult during my research on piggies both before I got them and since was finding out where to get certain things in the UK as opposed to in the US. After 5 months I have amassed some links of places that I buy from that I thought might be handy to other Brits, and I was wondering if anyone here had any links to add to help expand it a little?

Some of this might be repeats of what is already on this forum, but I'd still appreciate feedback ^_^

There are no links to pet shops that sell animals in any of their stores.

Any suggestions of more reliable online stores or offline shops that do not sell animals are welcome :) I've shared this with various lj communities in my hunt for links.

Pellets & Hay
Oxbow Cavy Cuisine: (broken link removed), (broken link removed)
Oxbow Timothy Hay: (broken link removed), (broken link removed), (broken link removed)
Oxbow Oxbow Orchard Grass: (broken link removed), (broken link removed), (broken link removed)
Other Oxbow Hays: (broken link removed), (broken link removed)
Readigrass: (broken link removed), (broken link removed), (broken link removed)

Notes: Thistle Cavies is a guinea pig rescue, buying from their donation shop helps even more piggies :) If you must feed a different kind of pellet I recommend Burgess Supa Guinea Excel as the next best thing, that stuff is available everywhere. Mixes are not recommended especially not the Gerty or own brand supermarket types.

C&C Supplies
Cubes: (broken link removed) (Order by phone, page 54, £22 for 17 panels)
Correx: Ebay, in particular CPS Supplies

Notes: Coroplast is called Correx in the UK. Very cheap on ebay, simply duct tape panels together. Local sign stores may have correx they can cut to size for you. Cubes are available seasonally from (broken link removed) and B&Q amongst others. Mesh cubes can be purchased on other places too.

Bedding
Vetbed: (broken link removed)
Megazorb: (broken link removed)
Carefresh: (broken link removed), (broken link removed)
Fleece: loads of places! (broken link removed), (broken link removed), (broken link removed), Matalan, Primark to name but a few. Local fabric shops are often cheapest.

Notes: Megazorb is said to be better than Carefresh, it's also usually cheaper. I recommend Vetbed Gold, although more expensive it inhibits dust mites - better for piggies and owners with allergies.

Wood shavings or sawdust are not recommended.

Medicinal Supplies
Critical Care: (broken link removed), (broken link removed)
Science Recovery: (broken link removed)
Vectin (ivermectin): Hadrian Equine, (broken link removed)

Notes: A guide to and thread on how to dose Vectin for guinea pigs from Guinea Lynx.

General Care
Shampoo: (broken link removed)

Notes: Gorgeous Guineas do the most amazing shampoos - I had no idea piggies could be this soft! They also have wonderful lotions for treating fungal infections.

Constructive advice only please, recommendations are based on the advice of Guinea Lynx :)

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
I have used (broken link removed)(broken link removed) with no problems at all for oxbow etc.

thalestral

Cavy Slave
If you read the About Us on both Bunnymail and Bunny Bazaar it appears they are one and the same, or owned by the very same person... that's really quite odd, heh. I shall add it to the lists though, thanks!

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
post and packaging on all is terrible! £4.25 on Bunny Bazaar now and on The Hay Experts! Disgusting!!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Ha, try living in Northern Ireland. As if some standard rates aren't enough, they usually add at least another £1 or more to send over a few miles of water.

I agree with all the above though. I've bought from Bunnymail, SPH Supplies, Thistle Cavies and Gorgeous Guineas and all have had good service and good products.

With The Hay Experts, the money from some of their hays - all labelled "Field Fresh" - goes to (broken link removed)

thalestral

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the extra links and info, I've added them to my list elsewhere as I can't edit the one here and hope to make it readily available to UK piggie owners where ever possible :)

I was especially chuffed to see that Sph Pet Supplies sells Cavy Performance, I've been looking for that for ages!

Terekins

Cavy Slave
Good idea, Thalestral
I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada, so here is where I got my stuff:

Storage Cubes-Walmart
Coroplast- Loomis and Toles (an art supply store)
Timothy Hay-Zellers
Fleece and fleece-backed vinyl-Fabricville

Tere

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Good idea, Thalestral
I'm in Nova Scotia, Canada, so here is where I got my stuff:

Storage Cubes-Walmart
Coroplast- Loomis and Toles (an art supply store)
Timothy Hay-Zellers
Fleece and fleece-backed vinyl-Fabricville

Tere

Perhaps might be an idea to post this in the Canadian section rather than the UK one!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
It might be worth checking this link of Megazorb suppliers to see if you can buy it locally - cheaper than bunnymail - and saves on delivery charge too:

(broken link removed)

muffin

Cavy Slave
SPH is fantastic. Their service is amazing and very fast. I bulk buy timmy hay for about £50 for a 22kg box. It's huge! It sounds expensive, but works out very very cheap compared to buying smaller packs.

Also, IKEA for fleece blankets. (broken link removed)

They are baby blue but very cheap, £1.89. The pale colour is good for spotting blood in urine if it occurs. I wash mine at 60C with no adverse effects. It lasts and lasts. I have yet to replace any after a year of use. Label side down is most absorbent.

Thistle Cavies also sell fleece blankets and I agree Gorgeous Guineas shampoos are best. They have a whole range, and also shampoos and oils soaks for dealing with fungal infections, lice etc. The woman who runs it makes the shampoos herself, she's a qualified aromatherapist. A number of rescues use them. They are excellent, all natural, and very safe...and they work. Don't buy shampoo anywhere else!:)

spice_the_aby

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
pets at home have pet towels for 1 pound

JulianSteve

Cavy Slave
Just ordered Oxbow Cavy cuisine from SPH - fantastic service and free delivery on orders over £50. Useful if you want a bulk order or to share with a friend.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
bunnybasics ((broken link removed)) has a large variety of hays and other dried herbal products (I'm not sure whether all the herbs are suitable for piggies or not).

At the moment they have a special offer of a pallet of timothy hay (42 bales - 800kg) for £650 including delivery to anywhere in UK zone 1 (sorry cavycoolcrazy!), which is apparently a saving of £1400. If anyone could afford it, has room to keep it and will use that much!

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Pack of 24 grids and 28 connectors in B&Q sale

B&Q price: £9.99 (Sale price) RRP: £19.99
Name: 6-Cube Mesh Storage Unit by SLEMCKA
Bar code number: 5015772193169

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
pets at home have pet towels for 1 pound

I wouldn't even give that store 20p if they were selling them off. They really are the worst of the worst.

You can get towels extremely cheaply in Ikea or Primark.

karensutton

Cavy Slave
bunnybasics ((broken link removed)) has a large variety of hays and other dried herbal products (I'm not sure whether all the herbs are suitable for piggies or not).

I also use Bunny Basics for hay and pellets. Our pigs like the Science Seclective Guinea Pig. I got a 14kg bale of timothy Hay from them last week (£36.30). It comes in a cardboard box instead of a plastic bag, so is much better for storing.The Piggies just love it. i'd previously been buying it in 2kg bags for £9.99.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I have made a thread for 'Hammocky Hammocks' online small animal custom handmade hammok (and other similar fleecey item) makers - but thought them well worth a mention on this thread - excellent quality, fast service and very fairly priced (with all profits going to help small animals in need), as well as excellent choice of design, size, colour combination and pattern.

(broken link removed)

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Just posted these on another thread, but again think it's handy to have everything in one place!

Link to some contacts for UK and other hay growers and pellet manufacturers etc (quite a few rabbity contacts though):

(broken link removed)

Recommended site for ivermectin (and other piggy things - hay, cavy cuisine etc):

(broken link removed)

BeckyBoo

Cavy Slave
I really like the look of the nibbly toys on these sites:

The Willow Warren - (broken link removed)
Pampered Piggies - (broken link removed)
Bunny Bazaar - (broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.