Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Papier Mache?

kiss_liss

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if papier mache is safe to use in a piggy cage? I was planning on turning a ramp into a "log" by using it on the outside (amazon/jungle theme lol). If I use newspaper and the flour and water paste should it be ok if they decide to munch on it a little? Also is "non-toxic" poster paint and glue safe for pigs?

Fay

Cavy Slave
The non toxic paper is alright as long as they don't eat it in large amounts. However I don't think the water-flour paste is good for them. Why don't you use wood, grids or coroplast to make your jungle theme?

muffin

Cavy Slave
I would steer clear of paint and glue, even if they are non-toxic. They're safe enough for a human to eat some and not die, but I don't think anything like that would be safe for pigs. The flour paste probably won't do them good I agree, and if they're like mine they'll wait til you're out and eat tons of it!

What would be really cool would be to do the theme on the outside of the cage. You could make up a background for the wall behind the cage, so that when you look at the cage it looks like they are in the amazon! Just make sure they can't reach any parts of the decorations and pull them into the cage...pigs are extremely good at doing that!

Let us know how you get on, it sounds like it will look really cool. You could use jungle or leaf patterned fleece in the cage as tents or accessories!

kiss_liss

Cavy Slave
Hey thanks Fay and muffin for the feedback, I was a little worried about the paint and flour paste, I think I'll steer clear of it all. Someone also gave me the idea of using fleece or felt to make leaves and things to put inside - they'll probably play with them too, but at least they can't eat it too much. I have one piggie that is a big muncher and will chew anything!

muffin

Cavy Slave
Glad to help. Please do let us know how you get on:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.