Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

towels for bedding

oreo33

Cavy Slave
just out of couriosity is it ok if you use towels for bedding. has anyone ever did this.im just wondering

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
oreo33 said:
just out of couriosity is it ok if you use towels for bedding. has anyone ever did this.im just wondering
many people have done this. some really love it, others just hate it. You'll ned to do lots of laundry so it helps if you have a washer/dryer in your home. another cheap bedding alternative is fleece. It is laid out like towels, but it apparently dries a lot faster. some even like to use baby crib pads underneath their fleece

oreo33

Cavy Slave
do you know any other cheap bedding ideas because carefresh (what im using) is way to darn expensive

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Thick layer of aspen on the bottom, small coating of carefresh on top. Works great for me!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Oreo, I use towels and to my surprise they work great. I have layer of newspapers, then a thin blanket and then my towel folded in half. I change it every other day. Its also really easy to clean the hay and poops off. I just use a small brush and sweep it all up.

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
You could just shred up newspaper in a shredder. You would have to change it alot. It dosent absorb that great, but it worked fine for me. But now I am using Pine. It's really cheap, where I get it!! Good Luck!

_Cell_

Cavy Slave
i tried towels a few times and i hate it, they don't absorb to well and since my piggies pee where they sleep they just maranate in it, the worst part is my PEW Onion now has a yellow underside because of it

Sierra

Cavy Slave
Pine alone really isn't the best, Emily. You should try switching to Aspen. Where I live Aspen is even cheaper than Pine.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
_Cell_ said:
i tried towels a few times and i hate it, they don't absorb to well and since my piggies pee where they sleep they just maranate in it, the worst part is my PEW Onion now has a yellow underside because of it
have you tried fleece? baby crib pads? by the way, do you have long-haired or short-haired pigs?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
DaCourt said:
We just went to fleece and love it. Here is our cage:

https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15324

We change it every few days. I put a dryer sheet under it and the room smells great.
i love hearing fleece sucess stories since that is what I will be using. By the way da court, isnt your cage really hard to clean/ how do you do it?

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Actually, it is very easy to clean. Top floor has 1 door. The middle floor has 2doors on either end. They open up towards the middle. I Take out the fleece and either sweep up the droppings or use the vac (vacuum is used only for the cage and the kind w/the container, not a bag). The bottom floor has 2 accordian doors that lift completely up. I take out the patio & hay tray, shake off droppings and hay, then either sweep or vac everything up. Fleece gets changed every 3 days or so. Droppings get vacummed up ever day...takes about 5 minutes. Whenever I change the fleece, I do a spray down of 50/50 water and vinegar.

*LovesGinny*

Cavy Slave
ok, i'll be getting 2 guinea pigs soon and i was looking into this idea. I do a lot of laundry, would i be able to throw the fleece in the washer every couple days and clean off the poops during floortime everyday?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's a question that you have to answer for yourself, I think. :)

smileyface cavy

Cavy Slave
I've read that towels are fine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.