Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Rspca News Petshop Closed Down-pets Left Over Christmas Week

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
HI Guys,

we had this posted on our aussie forum but I feel it's a post that should be shared on here...I couldn't believe when I heard the story...One of our volunteers gave me a phonecall and apparently a petstore in Brisbane was closed down after leaving all the animals in the petshop for THE ENTIRE CHRISTMAS WEEK! With no food or water. Apparently some were found dead/had to be euthanased and some of the animals still alive included guinea pigs....all the alive animals are now in the RSPCA's care. I found some articles on the story and I'll pop them below....Absolutely appauling this was to read but not surprising....brisbane and qld seem to have a nice collection of petshops that mistreat their animals!

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)
Jess

smartorl

Cavy Slave
Absolutely disgusting! The sad thing is, I would be willing to bet that the owner will claim to have paid "someone" to care for the animals in his absence and will have no charges brought against him. Even if you pay someone to take care of animals in your absence, you are still responsible to make sure that they do it, you have someone else check up on them daily at the very least. I had a pet sitter once (a "friend") that was supposed to come by and let the dogs out and feed them that left them unattended for two days, guess what, when I was unable to reach him one the morning of the second day to confirm the fact that he was taking care of them, we returned home immediately, I couldn't bear the thought of the animals suffering. My home was full of feces and urine and the dogs were humiliated. Again, when you take in an animal and confine it so that it has no means to provide for itself, you are ultimately responsible. You are responsible to make sure that they are cared for correctly both in your presence and in your absence.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.