Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Card Board Boxes As Hidey Houses?

KaceyH

Cavy Slave
My dad works for UPS and I had him bring me home some boxes, I have about 12 large boxes, Would this be good for guinea pig hidey houses?:?:

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Yes, but cut the bottoms out so the pigs rest on the bedding not the box.

KaceyH

Cavy Slave
Oh.
They are open boxes, the bottom is already cut.
;)
Thanks.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
That would work, they pee and poop on the bottoms and the boxes dont last long if you dont cut them off. Mine love cardboard boxes more than any other hidey.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
They will definitely work. Through a towel, blanket, a few handfuls of hay, or other stuff in the box for them to lay on or play in. Just make sure you replace the box regularly because the cardboard will get saturated with urine and get soggy and poo-laden quite quickly. They may also chew on them, so just be sure to change out the boxes often.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
They will definitely work. Through a towel, blanket, a few handfuls of hay, or other stuff in the box for them to lay on or play in. Just make sure you replace the box regularly because the cardboard will get saturated with urine and get soggy and poo-laden quite quickly. They may also chew on them, so just be sure to change out the boxes often.

Actually we just cut the bottom of the box out or flip it over and put the open top on the floor and cut doors so that they don't poop/pee all over themselves. My hidy boxes last quiet awhile sometimes. Chewing on cardboard is a popular cavy hobby.

See the coke and pepsi boxes in the pic?
May_June_2006_003.jpg

Seralinne

Cavy Slave
Cardboard hidey houses are a hit with my boys. My family drinks Spring water and the containers it comes in are like Wine Boxes. I cut the bottoms out, doors at the front and the side. The doors on the sides lead to bricks holding down my fleece, which the boys love. They run circles through their hidey's now.
Porkchop has decided that he likes his lying down though. Every time I put it in standing up, he knocks it over, so I am going to design him a smaller one on it's side.
Here is a picture:

smartorl

Cavy Slave
One word of warning about cardboard boxes and please, I use them myself I am just very thorough. I have a trucking company and we often get containers imported from overseas that are infected with bugs. We are paid to fumigate the containers and hold them on our yard for a few days before delivery. Take a moment to look over any boxes you use for any signs of past wetness or spots that would indicate possible fumigation. The chemicals are pretty stinky so your nose will be your best friend. This Christmas I noticed a few things that I ordered online (Sports Authority was the most noticable) had the fumigation smell to it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.