PDA

View Full Version : Building A Cage

hiph0p_mami
01-08-07, 05:21 pm
Tonight I'm going to buy the supplies to build a cage. I think for my first one I'm going basic and trying to build this one.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

I am just concerned because my piggy already trys to bite at her cage.

I want to add a top to this so she doesn't try to get out or maybe i should just build it a little higher.

Does anyone have any suggestion's before I try and build it. I'm not so much a crafty person.

standuprookie
01-08-07, 05:37 pm
I am just concerned because my piggy already trys to bite at her cage.
Thats probably because its to small and/or she is lonely.

Does anyone have any suggestion's before I try and build it.
Zip ties! Always zip tie every grid, top and bottom with the connectors. I made the mistake of using only connectors on my first cage, and basically it was a piecer, it was falling apart, connectors were flying off, and it was leaning alot.

hiph0p_mami
02-07-07, 10:40 am
OKAY...

A month or so later, but I ended up buying one instead
here it is. This is right after putting it together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hiph0p_statuz/cookiescage.jpg

pocoyo
02-07-07, 10:56 am
How come you didn't build a c&c cage?

Pocoyo.

FoolOnTheHill
02-07-07, 11:00 am
Yes...it would have been cheaper to build a C&C, and your pig would really enjoy the extra space! If you only just got it, maybe you can return it?

VoodooJoint
02-07-07, 11:01 am
Is this a joke? Are you seriously going to boast about that cage after all you have learned here about proper housing?

Ly&Pigs
02-07-07, 03:14 pm
That isn't even a C&C cage. If this is a joke, it's not very darn funny.

My rats live in a larger cage than that.

DaCourt
02-07-07, 07:13 pm
Hmm...And that cage is good...HOW? Way too small.

OSUCavies
02-07-07, 07:19 pm
I hope for the pig's sake that it isn't the real cage.

But I think it probably is. And that makes me sad.

Ugh, just the site of that thing makes me cringe.

crazywiggy
02-08-07, 02:29 am
That is really sad. :weepy:

You said your piggy bites the cage. Some animals just do this for no really apparent reason, but it can be a symptom of chronic stress (e.g. from being bored, isolated, unable to carry out natural behaviours etc).
If she was in a smaller cage than the one in the picture it was almost certainly due to stress and boredom. If your piggy is showing these signs she is already in a bad way. (Chronic stress can cause health problems).

The cage you bought is still far too small. She won't be able to run around and play in it and it's too small to give her many toys to keep her occupied.

I would take it back if you could. If not, keep it as a travel cage, or a quarantine cage for if you get her a companion.

If you really can't find cubes and coroplast there are loads of alternatives.

I built an indoor rabbit pen a few years ago with wooden poles and wire mesh I got the local DIY shop. Cheap and easy.

Or there are different types of storage cubes, shelving etc. For the base you could use corroplast, or lino or just tarpaulin. Kiddie pools, converted furniture (e.g. a large bookcase laid flat). So many options.

Please, please try to get your piggy into a much bigger cage asap - she's clearly not happy already. I hope you don't take offence from what people are trying to tell you - we just want you to do what's best for your cavy.

Jenah
02-10-07, 11:39 am
You said your piggy bites the cage. Some animals just do this for no really apparent reason, but it can be a symptom of chronic stress (e.g. from being bored, isolated, unable to carry out natural behaviours etc).
If she was in a smaller cage than the one in the picture it was almost certainly due to stress and boredom.HOLY COW. THAT explains why my original girl, Pilot, bit her cage so much before putting her in the 3x4 pen I made. Seriously I had no idea why she would bit the cage [yep petstore cage for over 2 years.....I didn't know!]. THAT explains a lot!

She has bitten the grids a couple of times since living in the larger and spacious pen - but that has only been when I've been apparently moving too slow with the breakfast/dinner veggies! Our other girl doesn't bite the grids at all!