PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Sow in MN or WI

TinaFabulous
09-10-04, 01:12 pm
Hi! I've been posting around the adoption part of the forum a bit and thought I might start a thread. I'm looking to pair up my sow at home. I'm planing on building a C&C cage or something similar. I live near rochester minnesota. We absoultly love and adore or little girl and want to get her a friend. It's a very pig-friendly home with no indoor cats or dogs. I'm actually a virtual-schooled student so i have plenty of time to give the little babies the time they deserve. If you have a Sow that needs a home I would really like if you'd reply or email me the details ([email protected]). Thanks so much!
tina

Allysse
09-10-04, 04:27 pm
I have given some of the JPGPR adoptables on my thread. Here are some in the shelters:

Adopt-A-Pet-Inc
Buffalo MN
Whistler

Hmm. Very interesting. This is the only female up for adoption in MN! Ha! None at Tri-county, Animal Humane Societies (Coon Rapids or Golden Valley), Paula's Pigdom, or any on Petfinder (besides Whistler).

mncavylover
09-10-04, 07:20 pm
Check www.cavyrescue.com (http://www.cavyrescue.com) classifieds and rescue listings, www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com) search and adoptables under classifieds, and do a google search for a humane society (there is one in St. Paul and Woodbury if you want to come here!) or a shelter. Good luck!

TinaFabulous
09-10-04, 08:29 pm
Ya I saw whistler on petfinder last night, quite a selection to choose from huh? :) Well I'm going to keep looking and not give up, there must one somewhere around here... I hope *grins*

Allysse
09-11-04, 06:36 am
Paula's Pigdom had 4 surrenders last night. I do not know the ages, sexes, colors, or breeds.

TinaFabulous
09-11-04, 01:01 pm
Ok, well let me know if you find out anything. Does Paula's Pigdom have a website?

Allysse
09-11-04, 05:22 pm
Paula's Pigdom does not have a website...but they do have a petfinder page: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MN152.html

The surrenders were:
1 male (neutered) and 1 female
1 male (neutered) and 1 female

The females are abys, one of the males is short hair, and the other male is a silkie. These pairs will probably stay together so you'd have to do a trio if you wanted to go that route.

TinaFabulous
09-12-04, 03:25 pm
Hmm... i really only want two... But it seems all the adoptible guinea pigs are bonded, should I still bother to wait for one, or are the only single ones going to be the ones who arnt very social? In which case I might need to look elsewhere for a new pig. Heres my plan as of now.

Collect materials and build cage, and in the meantime post wanted adds and keep up with the pet listings as well as shelters and adopting places. If I don't find anything, which seems like a real possiblility right now. My last option will be the petstore. I hate to see them there, I know it promotes breeding and all, It's just I cant seem to believe that they can be kept the way they are to go home with kids who will put them in an expensive tiny storebought cage somewhere and once the excitment of a new pet wears off stop cleaning him or paying any attention to him. I hate to see them as merchandise. But if I can't find anything adoptible at least I can make Furby and one of those pigs lives alot happier.

Anyway I wont be ready for a new pig for atleast another month now, but I will be anxious to get one once I can because Furby's getting more bored and loneler every day.

Please, dont get me wrong I dont really like the idea of buying a petstore pig, and I really want to find something that I can addopt locally. But if it comes to that, then I guess it does

TinaFabulous
09-12-04, 03:28 pm
Sorry for my crummy attitude there, its just annoying that every possible pig avalible around here is bonded before addoption. And the ones that arnt bonded arn't social, or arnt females.

TinaFabulous
09-12-04, 04:03 pm
Its really frusterating, theres nothing out there right now, some of the cavy listings are for people who want them in my area with names like "I want a guinea pig", this is all just too much. I think whats the most frusterating is that the reason I can get a single female is because rescues are promoting owning two pigs, which is actually whats been preventing me from getting two. Its so messed up, I'm going to look hard though, because I really want to addopt but man o man, it looks like even if a single female becomes avalible theres plenty of people in the area who would want it just as much. But there seems to be plenty of males avalible who are not neutered, isnt that great?

Hey ashlee do you rember melvin and merlin i think they were, I actually looked into adopting those two because I wanted to rescue but my mom wanted me to try one first, so i ended up with a petstore pig. And if people think im acting impatient, they should see my bored little girl, she really needs someeone her owns size soon... At least first I can get her into a bigger cage.

If anyone has a female or knows someone in minnesota who does, please let me know, I dont have any room for three pigs right now.

cinn&sprinslave
09-12-04, 06:24 pm
Hi! I've been posting around the adoption part of the forum a bit and thought I might start a thread. I'm looking to pair up my sow at home. I'm planing on building a C&C cage or something similar. I live near rochester minnesota. We absoultly love and adore or little girl and want to get her a friend. It's a very pig-friendly home with no indoor cats or dogs. I'm actually a virtual-schooled student so i have plenty of time to give the little babies the time they deserve. If you have a Sow that needs a home I would really like if you'd reply or email me the details ([email protected]). Thanks so much!
tina
Just a question what is a virtual schooled student? It sounds awesome!

TinaFabulous
09-12-04, 07:02 pm
Its like being homeschooled except I techanically belong to a public middle school. I meet up with my teacher every other month and I go online everyday to see what I should do that day then do it. I love it, its so great, I get to be home all day as I do school then when im done Im free to do whatever. The virtual's base school is not in my area of the state so I had to open enroll then i was in. If you want to read anymore about it check out www.k12.com (http://www.k12.com) and click on virtual acadimy or sommin like that. I wake up take care of my chores go to school practice my flute and usually not any longer than 5 hours, let me know if you have any questions... I'm an 8th grader this year and this is my first year out of a normal public system and this is so much better! I was wondering, are most of you guys still in school?

cinn&sprinslave
09-12-04, 07:22 pm
Its like being homeschooled except I techanically belong to a public middle school. I meet up with my teacher every other month and I go online everyday to see what I should do that day then do it. I love it, its so great, I get to be home all day as I do school then when im done Im free to do whatever. The virtual's base school is not in my area of the state so I had to open enroll then i was in. If you want to read anymore about it check out www.k12.com (http://www.k12.com/) and click on virtual acadimy or sommin like that. I wake up take care of my chores go to school practice my flute and usually not any longer than 5 hours, let me know if you have any questions... I'm an 8th grader this year and this is my first year out of a normal public system and this is so much better! I was wondering, are most of you guys still in school?

Ok I will read that site, I sent you a pm (read it lol). That is so awesome! I like the sound of virtual schooling totally awesome!!

TinaFabulous
09-12-04, 07:48 pm
ya I got to go to sleep so i can wake up on my own tomorrow (another perk of va)

nite,
Tina

cinn&sprinslave
09-12-04, 08:27 pm
ya I got to go to sleep so i can wake up on my own tomorrow (another perk of va)

nite,
Tina
Thanks for the info, I sent ya another pm.

TinaFabulous
09-13-04, 07:11 am
No problemo, I get noticfications when i get a pm lol.

Allysse
09-13-04, 07:00 pm
The lack of females is a rare occurance. In the time frame you're looking at there are bound to be females available at the shelters. Do you want to be put on a rescue list of MN owner surrenders? Or do you want to wait for the shelters? There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that in less than a week there will be at least one sow in the shelter

Allysse
09-13-04, 07:02 pm
Don't feel bad for the petstore pigs. Both scenarios are harsh, but you'll find that you'll be happier to provide a home to a pig that really needs it. Pet store pigs have good exposure and will be purchased. Not all petstore purchases end in disaster. You are walking proof of this. If you're going to feel bad for a pig, it's the ones in the shelters you need to feel bad for.

TinaFabulous
09-13-04, 07:37 pm
O, wow there are that many surrenders? I had no idea... I spose your right petstore pigs find homes easy.

I think id like to be put on that list, what whould that involve? Is it like a waiting list for pigs?

Allysse
09-14-04, 09:33 am
When an owner wants to surrender, but the rescue doesn't have room to take it, the JPGPR will send out an email giving a description of the pigs and such. Then you contact either JPGPR or the owner depending on what contact information was given. It would be up to you to coordinate getting the pigs if you were interested.

Yes, please do wait for a shelter pig. There are far more reasons to adopt than to buy.

Allysse
09-14-04, 09:35 am
If you would like to be put on this list email me ([email protected]) and I will put you on it. One thing though is that sometimes the list will be about other animals (mostly chickens or cats) but it is in place to find guinea pigs homes.

Allysse
09-14-04, 07:21 pm
See, I found one already.

I will PM you one that I found on Petfinder (the classifieds section).

TinaFabulous
09-15-04, 08:27 am
Look like there is a senior named squeaky looking for a home, are long haired pigs difficult to care for, shes so precious!-

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=3373559&adTarget=468petsgeneral&SessionID=41485066556c1785-app2&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Do you guys think Squeaky and a 2 year old will be able to get along?

Allysse
09-15-04, 11:27 am
That's a good chance. Better go get her today or tomorrow because she's not going to be there for long.

Allysse
09-15-04, 11:28 am
Long haired pigs are not much more diffficult, you just have to brush and cut their hair.

Allysse
09-15-04, 03:21 pm
She's already gone. As are the rest of the pigs at MVHS.

cinn&sprinslave
09-15-04, 05:41 pm
Gosh piggs in Minesota sure do get adopted fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I sure hope that when I start a rescue that people will adopt piggies that fast too, I had no idea so many people adopted piggies.

mncavylover
09-15-04, 07:11 pm
I agree with Allysse, the right pig will come along soon. Make sure to wait the short time it takes, and good luck! Hope you find one soon! Oh, and Squeaky is still there right now. Where does it say she has been adopted?

Allysse
09-15-04, 07:24 pm
MNCavylover- I am an adoption counselor for MVHS so I know pretty fast when pigs are adopted. Plus I'm training in to do the photography and site updates. I have connections there.

All the cavies went home today except the "senior" sow is still there!. Tina, if you want this cavy you can not wait. I expect she will be gone by tomorrow night. But please take your time and don't rush if now isn't a good time to be adopting. Another pig will come up.

mncavylover
09-15-04, 07:28 pm
Ok, I thought that was what may be happening. I hope everything is going well at JPGPR and, now, at MVHS! Thanks for all the help, sorry I didn't understand before.

Allysse
09-15-04, 07:49 pm
I know it's confusing. I'm affiliated with so many people that I'm not sure who I belong to! And I tend to do projects on my own and give other people credit (like JPGPR).

mncavylover
09-15-04, 08:04 pm
Yes, I can definitely see how it would be confusing! It's so awesome that you do all that you do, Allysse. I hope I can be like you someday!

kylie knutson
01-02-08, 11:30 am
Hi Tina I have tried to reply but haven't been able to send you a message I have been getting error messages each time I try to get you something, I recently had a litter of three on Dec. 12th all abyssinian and one being a little female I also have a short-haired female not sure of her age that I got at an auction that I would be willing to part with please let me know either way

Susan9608
01-02-08, 12:11 pm
This thread is 3 years old, and the original poster has been banned.