Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Shredding paper

JBarton

Cavy Slave
I received a really cool shredder for Christmas and am wondering if I can use it to make bedding. The instructions forbid shredding newspaper so that is out. Can I use the shredded bills, statements, etc as bedding?

Fay

Cavy Slave
Well, You shouldn't use paper thats very sharp or has toxic ink on it. Paper also smells very quickly, and doesn't always keep your pig dry. I wouldn't recommend it but I do believe you can use it as bedding.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I have used shredded paper on and off in my litter trays, with some success. It really must be changed out daily - as it does get wet and stay wet. However, I am keen on recycling, and using bags of shredded paper from my work was free! Might be worth a try in a litter tray to see what you think.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I used it and didn't like it at all. Since I've had a lot of pigs with bad reactions to shavings I thought I would try it as, like you Jane, I was able to get it free from work. It got soggy, dirty and messy looking within hours and, even with changing daily, I found that pigs ended up with poops stuck to their feet a lot of the time. I also know how bad it is for humans to inhale toner used in printing, so I would hate to hesitate to find out what it does if ingested in any quantity.

Mine are also chewers so they spent a lot of time trying to eat it!

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Something else you need to be careful about, if you shred bills, and envelopes, are the little plastic "windows" in a lot of envies these days. Your pigs wouldn't need to be eating plastic.

I have tried using shredded paper, and I even tried mixing it with shavings to see if I liked it and it would stretch the shavings further, but I hated it. Like already mentioned it turns soggy, stinky, and yucky looking practically instantly.

Aside from fleece, my all time favorite bedding is Aspen. I just love the stuff, and my pigs actually prefer it over fleece! If I put aspen in my hay box, they will sleep there instead of on the fleece.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.