PDA

View Full Version : New C&C Cage!

OSUCavies
01-03-07, 11:44 pm
Hey everyone. I did it! The boyfriend and I put together a cage tonight for my Layla and for the new pig that will be joining us in 14 days after she has recovered from her eye/nose infection.

We built a 2x4 grid cage with an upper level. We haven't added the ramp yet. It took us 5 hours to do this! But it was our first time.

I still have more things to add in it, but because it is so late this is what we put together for the night.

I've already added her veggie bowl, and a new hayrack that I concocted.

If anyone has any good advice on the ramp, let me know. We're thinking about just using 2 panels that are curved and using some leftover coroplast with some black cloth.

Keep in mind, the upper level is not quite finished, but here it is.

:)
This is our first C&C Cage ever so thanks everyone who gave advice.

this_lil_piggy
01-04-07, 12:05 am
It looks awesome! You and boyfriend did a fine job indeed!

I have to tell you how proud I am of you. Just 5 short days ago you made your first post here:

Question about cages... - 12-30-06, 08:15 pm
This is my first time to the website!

I have seen all of these AMAZING cages that so many people have built for their bigs.

I was just wondering what things I would need to do the same. Where do the little fences come from that are all around the sides? And what should be used for the bottom of the cage (for the bedding, etc)

I've had my guinea pig, Layla, for over a year now. I use an aquarium for her now, but plan to get another...........

You jumped immediately into action, taking everything we offered in stride, and putting the advice to use. You have completely changed your girls life, and just a few days. You're a model for newcomers.
Congrats for all your hard work!

Now I have to ask... How did Layla react to her new digs? :cheerful:

OSUCavies
01-04-07, 12:08 am
It looks awesome! You and boyfriend did a fine job indeed!

I have to tell you how proud I am of you. Just 5 short days ago you made your first post here:

You jumped immediately into action, taking everything we offered in stride, and putting the advice to use. You have completely changed your girls life, and just a few days. You're a model for newcomers.
Congrats for all your hard work!

Now I have to ask... How did Layla react to her new digs? :cheerful:

Lil piggy, you are one of the many that helped out so much!

So, I expected her to "popcorn" as everyone calls it all over the place and just roam around sniffing.

But no. She went STRAIGHT to her hay rack and her veggie bowl.

Then she roamed around for about...10 seconds...then went straight back to her cilantro.

But she realizes that it's her home. And I can't wait to add the ramp so they can use the upper level!

this_lil_piggy
01-04-07, 12:30 am
AWWW. It is just all new to her. I am sure she doesn't quite know what to do with all the space yet. She will figure it out though. Especially when she has a buddy in there keeping her on her toes, and to romp with, you will be cussing all the vacuuming of shavings from the carpet after their partying hehe
My boys just run and play and make a huge mess of the cage any time of the day, all day. My girls though, seem to be more active at night when the tv is off, kids are in bed, and the house is dim lit and quiet. I thought for months that Chloe was a lazy pig, and entertained the idea that maybe I should have her checked for heart problems. I never saw her run, play, popcorn, or any of those things. Then one night I got up in the middle of the night and flipped the light on, and she was busted! There she was cutting a rug all over the place like I had never seen her do. Little sneak!

OSUCavies
01-04-07, 12:35 am
AWWW. It is just all new to her. I am sure she doesn't quite know what to do with all the space yet. She will figure it out though. Especially when she has a buddy in there keeping her on her toes, and to romp with, you will be cussing all the vacuuming of shavings from the carpet after their partying hehe
My boys just run and play and make a huge mess of the cage any time of the day, all day. My girls though, seem to be more active at night when the tv is off, kids are in bed, and the house is dim lit and quiet. I thought for months that Chloe was a lazy pig, and entertained the idea that maybe I should have her checked for heart problems. I never saw her run, play, popcorn, or any of those things. Then one night I got up in the middle of the night and flipped the light on, and she was busted! There she was cutting a rug all over the place like I had never seen her do. Little sneak!

Hahahaha! That is hilarious! "cutting a rug" is such a great term. LOVE it.

Layla is actually very much the same. During the day she doesn't wanna do much but just lounge around. And at night, when the lights go off (She was in my room, now her new cage is in the living/dining area) she just starts running around chewing on everything. So I'm sure Chloe and her would have a SUPER time together!

I can't wait to have Shelby back. We actually went to Petco tonight and saw her. I was VERY pleased, actually. They had her in the back (thank god) separated from all other animals in her own cage. And to my surprise, it was a pretty decent size cage. She had fresh water and hay. Also, her vet notes were on top of her cage where the employees had been checking off her medication schedule. I read through her notes and saw they gave her some eye drops and some B name pill...Baxtil? Something of the sort. I think that was orally. They said we could pick her up around the 16th and she also has a follow up visit with the vet. So I couldn't be more pleased. I guess not ALL Petco's are that terrible! I can't wait for her and Layla to become pals.

this_lil_piggy
01-04-07, 12:41 am
It pays off to be persistent with them ;) I am so glad to hear she is getting treatment.
The drug was probably either Baytril, and Bactrim. Both are antibiotics safe for pigs, that are commonly used to treat upper respiratory infections.

OSUCavies
01-04-07, 12:45 am
It pays off to be persistent with them ;) I am so glad to hear she is getting treatment.
The drug was probably either Baytril, and Bactrim. Both are antibiotics safe for pigs, that are commonly used to treat upper respiratory infections.

Yeah, I'm about positive it was Baytril.

I think they gave her one more thing orally, plus the drops.

Petco wouldn't call it a "URI" but they just kept saying "eye and nose infection". But I knew right away what it was.

I'm just hoping Layla is good and healthy. She has a vet appointment on Friday! So if she did catch anything, I hope it surfaces by then so it can be treated. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she didn't.

standuprookie
01-04-07, 12:49 am
I love your cage, very well put together. Don't worry about the pop corning I have had my pigs for a few months and only seen them popcorn 5 times between the two. Also the older the pig gets the less they do it.

I guess not ALL Petco's are that terrible!
It's not the care their pigs receive its the fact they sell pigs. (But most don't have good care either)

this_lil_piggy
01-04-07, 12:55 am
I took one more glance at your cage before I closed the post, and I thought of something to tell you. On the top level, the side that isn't against the wall--you might want to attach one more grid there, before you put the loft to use. A curious piggy might try to lean over the coro and take a tumble out of the cage.
You may have already thought of that, since you said it isn't finished, but I wanted to make mention of it just in case :)

OSUCavies
01-04-07, 12:58 am
You mean the left part of it?

Yes, I'm gonna put another grid there. The right side is the opening. I already thought of it. I just had ENOUGH for the night. I couldn't deal with it anymore! But as soon as we figure out a ramp, we're gonna finish it completely. The loft is gonna be the hayloft...so I've got some adjustments to make.

But thanks:)

OSUCavies
01-04-07, 01:01 am
I love your cage, very well put together. Don't worry about the pop corning I have had my pigs for a few months and only seen them popcorn 5 times between the two. Also the older the pig gets the less they do it.

It's not the care their pigs receive its the fact they sell pigs. (But most don't have good care either)

Yeah, I hope people don't think I'm a Petco LOVER now after saying that remark. But after hearing all these horror stories, I was refreshed to know that they actually did what they told me they were going to do. So I'm just hopeful that everything works out fine with Shelbs. After this, I'm never purchasing a piggie from a petstore.

Do you guys think that cage (with the upper level) is enough for 3 piggies? Or should I stick to 2.

this_lil_piggy
01-04-07, 01:05 am
It is probably ideal to keep only two pigs in a 2x4, by the time you add their hideys and such. You might can get away with 3 sows in it, but only time will tell. If Layla and Shelby get along really well, you might can add a 3rd.

OSUCavies
01-04-07, 01:09 am
Well it wouldn't be any time real soon. We've still gotta get Shelbs back.

And get her used to her new home.

But in a couple of months I'd really like to adopt.

But I really can't imagine redoing a cage. Oh my gosh that thing DRAINED me. The boyfriend got stuck doing all the coroplast measuring, cutting, etc. So he's zonked out right now.

Those damn cube boxes were giving me a hard time. Everytime I'd adjust a new one, another one would come undone.
Thank god for those cable ties I bought.

standuprookie
01-04-07, 01:39 am
It really depends on the pigs, I have two boars in a 2 by 5 with a 2 by 1 upper level and have been considering adding another pig, but tonight decided it wasn't such a good idea, after there was a small quarrel, but both my boys are very dominant.
If you deiced to add another pig and didn't want to completely redo the cage, maybe you could just take off the end of one of the sides and add some more grids and coroplast (You could join the coroplast with clear packaging tape) to make it a 2 by 5.
If you didn't add on to your cage you might be able to make it work if you got a very submissive pig, but you would have to clean the cage alot more often.

rabbitsncavyluv
01-04-07, 01:55 am
I would personally still quarantine her when you get her back, rather than putting her directly with your existing pig right away and watch her to make sure she is healthy.

rabbitsncavyluv
01-04-07, 02:04 am
You said that she was only a few weeks old in your other thread? Baby gps shouldn't get baytril. I would ask for a copy of her vet records when you get her back and still quarantine her. They may have taken her to a vet, but not all vets are exotic ones.

OSUCavies
01-04-07, 04:25 am
You said that she was only a few weeks old in your other thread? Baby gps shouldn't get baytril. I would ask for a copy of her vet records when you get her back and still quarantine her. They may have taken her to a vet, but not all vets are exotic ones.

I will look into this. I'm not sure which B name the medication was, but Baytril did seem to ring a bell.

Next time we go in to the store I will check the records again.

As far as quarantining, I will definitely not put her in the new cage right away. I still have an adequate size cage that Layla used to be in, and since Shelby is a smaller pig, I think it will do until I know for sure she is free of mites, infections, etc.

Also, I have spoken to the boyfriend (since Shelby is technically his) about taking her to a vet after she gets back to make sure she is doing as fine as Petco says she is.

I do know that seeing her tonight, her eye looked much better. When we took her back, her other eye was looking grungy as well and we figured it had spread to the other eye. Tonight when seeing her, her one eye (the one that was starting to look infected) was extremely healthy looking. I could tell her other eye was still bothering her, but I'm hoping the meds are working to our benefit.

I am not completely sure of her age, I am assuming she is around a month old, but she is pretty small, so I'm sure she can only be a few weeks old.

Thanks for the input, though! I had no idea of what meds were unsafe for different ages, etc.

I just hope she gets better and is receiving the proper treatment that she needs.

OSUCavies
01-04-07, 04:27 am
Also, I have done extensive research as well as asking other exotic pet owners in my area about a vet that is specialized exclusively in exotic pets, but have yet to find one. I was told there were none in the Columbus area that were.

However, I did find a vet that is specialized in rabbits, so I thought maybe they would be able to help. The place I am taking Layla to on Friday was recommended by a few people. I'm hoping they are specialized enough to give me the information I need.

Hansel
01-04-07, 08:22 am
Congrats on your new cage! I am glad that Shelby is recovering as well. You are going to have two happy pigs!

OSUCavies
01-05-07, 05:30 am
Thanks a lot Hansel! You've been helpful, as well!

Just wondering what to do about the ramp.

I noticed a lot of people have bent the panels into ramps and then used something to cover. But how do you get the panels to bend?? When we tried (with pliers) all the panel really did was bend into a V and the wires snapped on one side.
Any suggestions?

yarag009
01-05-07, 07:41 am
I saw a ramp made of carpet remnants - you could do something like that in the meantime until you can get a nicer one...

BTW - that cage looks really good - great job!

mkkayla
01-05-07, 07:55 am
Here is a vet in Columbus

OHIO
Columbus

Animal Care Unlimited.
http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/ (http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/)
2665 Billingsley Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43235
Phone: (614)766-2317
Fax: (614)766-4508
Hours: Monday -Thursday 7AM - 8PM
Fridays 7AM - 6PM
Saturdays 7AM - 2PM

These folks treat pets of all types. I've seen pet skunks, geese and turtles in their waiting room.

Check out their guinea pig page:
http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/guinea_pigs.htm (http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/guinea_pigs.htm)

They also have 24hr emergency care for established clients.
Dr Burton came out at 2:30 am and saved my pet rat Mac from choking to death.

They also run the non-profit Ohio Wildlife Center
http://www.ohiowildlifecenter.org/ (http://www.ohiowildlifecenter.org/)
For orphaned and injured wildlife in Central Ohio.
Be sure to give a donation if you take in an animal.

TX_2_Pigs
01-05-07, 08:17 am
Just wondering what to do about the ramp.

Any suggestions?

I just used scrap pieces of coroplast covered with felt. I took 2 pieces
a little longer than the space for the ramp, crossed them over to form and "L" and scored each on one side, fastened them together to make a landing. I fastened the landing to the edge of the cage and the top of the ramp to the coroplast on the top level. They worked great. The piggies didn't have any trouble using it. Eventually they did nibble the edges and kinda tore up the felt but you should have extra pieces of coroplast to change them out when they get unusable. I am in the process of redoing my cage at the moment as well and I plan to use the same concept for my new ramps except covered in fleece. All I have left is to cut the coroplast and fit into the cage but I have been sick this week and have barely managed to get out of bed so there has been no eneregy to work on the cage.

I'll try to post pictures of my ramp built along with my cage when I get it finished. Hopefully this weekend. Good luck on whatever choice you make.

JarBax
01-05-07, 08:53 am
Great cage! Congratulations on all your hard work!

My ramp is made from two bent grids, with carpet covering (which overlaps the sides by a good 3". To bend the grids, I either stand in the middle, gradually bending the gridup - or put a brick in the middle, and stand on that, and then bend. That way, you get a U shape, rather than a V!

To stop the snapping (I have many snapped grids!) warm the grids in hot water first, then bend slowly - a bit at a time. If the grid wires are on the inside, the grid is less likely to break. To attach top the cage, cable ties are best - that way you can raise the ramp for easier cleaning. I also attach the side of th ramp to the side of the cage using a large partially unbent paperclip for stability. You can use the paperclip to hold the ramp in the up position whilst cleaning too.

I make sure there is a large 'lip' of carpet at the top of the ramp, and tuck this under the coroplast at the top of the ramp, thus covering the join. If you are going to use corroplast, you could do the same. I agree that an extra grid on the loft will stop an accident.

Look forward to hearing how the ramp goes - and seeing another pic (or two)! And best wishes for Shelby's speedy recovery! May I suggest that you do re-introductions on neutral territory (ie. not in the cage), when the time comes. Best of luck!

Link to ramp pictures in the gallery for inspiration!:

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/509

dextersmycutegp
01-05-07, 10:28 am
When I need to bend my grids I just stick half of the grid under my foot and bend the other half up. It never bends exactly straight, but the pigs don't care. :)

OSUCavies
01-05-07, 12:24 pm
Here is a vet in Columbus

OHIO
Columbus

Animal Care Unlimited.
http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/ (http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/)
2665 Billingsley Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43235
Phone: (614)766-2317
Fax: (614)766-4508
Hours: Monday -Thursday 7AM - 8PM
Fridays 7AM - 6PM
Saturdays 7AM - 2PM

These folks treat pets of all types. I've seen pet skunks, geese and turtles in their waiting room.

Check out their guinea pig page:
http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/guinea_pigs.htm (http://www.animalcareunlimited.com/guinea_pigs.htm)

They also have 24hr emergency care for established clients.
Dr Burton came out at 2:30 am and saved my pet rat Mac from choking to death.

They also run the non-profit Ohio Wildlife Center
http://www.ohiowildlifecenter.org/ (http://www.ohiowildlifecenter.org/)
For orphaned and injured wildlife in Central Ohio.
Be sure to give a donation if you take in an animal.

Haha, funny you should post this. This is where her vet visit is in about 45 minutes:)

OSUCavies
01-05-07, 12:26 pm
Thanks Jarbax! I can't wait to have the ramp built and show it off, too!

I just hope the girls get along well enough to put them in it together.

I will try the grid bending again. Thanks again!

TNpigowner
01-05-07, 12:40 pm
Great job on the cage! They are alot of work, arent they? ;) But well worth it for sure.

I didn't know if you'd done the ramp yet, but we just used 2 of the 'cubes' and bent them and then put carpet on them. We used zip ties to hold the ramp to the top and sides.

http://www.soundslikeme.com/gpigs/ramp2.JPG

Hope the vet visit goes well.

OSUCavies
01-05-07, 02:19 pm
thanks TN! That's what I wanted to do, except with coroplast instead of carpet.

The vet visit update is on my "Itchy" thread.

:) Thanks again.

amfeider
01-05-07, 04:50 pm
What worked for me was standing on one side of the grid and bending it over your feet.

werm82
01-06-07, 12:08 am
It's finally finished! For the most part, anyway. I still need to add another grid to the top of the 2nd level and figure out some way to extend the "guard rails" on the side of the ramp. Any suggestions on how I would go about doing this? I took two pieces of 4mm coroplast, cut them to size (one 4 inches wider than the other), scored, bent, and covered the top piece of coroplast in fabric. To add extra support, I cut down some of the grid to size and sandwiched it between the two slabs of coro. To top it off, I riveted them together, set it in, threw down some zip ties, and am ramp less no more! There are some pictures of the finished produce below.

A little side note: If you do cut down the grid, be extremely careful! I cut my finger pretty good on one of the snipped wires. I would even recommend wearing work gloves.

OSUCavies
01-06-07, 01:01 am
It's finally finished! For the most part, anyway. I still need to add another grid to the top of the 2nd level and figure out some way to extend the "guard rails" on the side of the ramp. Any suggestions on how I would go about doing this? I took two pieces of 4mm coroplast, cut them to size (one 4 inches wider than the other), scored, bent, and covered the top piece of coroplast in fabric. To add extra support, I cut down some of the grid to size and sandwiched it between the two slabs of coro. To top it off, I riveted them together, set it in, threw down some zip ties, and am ramp less no more! There are some pictures of the finished produce below.

A little side note: If you do cut down the grid, be extremely careful! I cut my finger pretty good on one of the snipped wires. I would even recommend wearing work gloves.

Good job, boyfriend! Look at that last pigture. Isn't my guinea so adorable.
She had a long, dreadful day at the vet. She hasn't acted much like her self today. I think it slightly traumatized her. The vet cleaned her ears out and she squeaaaaled so loud. I almost started crying out of guilt.

Anyway, glad we got the ramp in! She's used it a couple of times already.

this_lil_piggy
01-06-07, 01:57 am
Awesome! You two did a great job!
The ramp looks to me like it is functioning just fine the way it is, and apparently gets Layla's stamp of approval ;)
Some people have ramps with sides, some don't. It isn't necessary unless you just want them on there.
If you are afraid Layla might take up pig sky diving off the ramp, you can try taping or riveting some cardboard or coroplast pieces along the side of the ramp from the top to about half way down the ramp. Once it gets more towards the bottom, it wouldn't hurt her if she jumped off. My bunch of nuts jump on and off their hidey houses constantly with out harming themselves.

Love the worn out pouty pigture. I am sure it was all a shock to her, but she will forget and get over it soon. Was the vet pretty reasonable?

OSUCavies
01-06-07, 03:27 am
Awesome! You two did a great job!
The ramp looks to me like it is functioning just fine the way it is, and apparently gets Layla's stamp of approval ;)
Some people have ramps with sides, some don't. It isn't necessary unless you just want them on there.
If you are afraid Layla might take up pig sky diving off the ramp, you can try taping or riveting some cardboard or coroplast pieces along the side of the ramp from the top to about half way down the ramp. Once it gets more towards the bottom, it wouldn't hurt her if she jumped off. My bunch of nuts jump on and off their hidey houses constantly with out harming themselves.

Love the worn out pouty pigture. I am sure it was all a shock to her, but she will forget and get over it soon. Was the vet pretty reasonable?

Thanks, lil;)
I actually just caught her going up it again. I put all of her hay up there and a trail down the ramp so that she'd realize it's up there. Apparently she did!

The first time she tried it, she did a little piggy jump near the bottom and I was worried she'd keep doing it. For some reason, she isn't afraid to jump. She'll jump out of my hands sometimes when I'm putting her on the floor or the cage. She's a daredevil! Haha. For now, I think it's okay. She seems to love it!

The vet visit was okay. I didn't mention this on the other thread, but the vet gave her a skin scraping (cost me 17 bucks) and didn't tell me 'til afterwards. She cleaned her ears and did the scraping in another room so I had no idea she did the scraping. Had I known, I definitely would've told her not to. I didn't need to know if she had them, I wanted her treated either way since everyone told me to do so. So I was rather unhappy about that. Could've saved about 20 bucks, not to mention Layla wouldn't have had to go through it. :ashamed:

JarBax
01-06-07, 03:30 am
You did a magnificent job! That looks so smart!

I would want to make the sides of the ramp higher, even just the cage side. Whilst it is unlikely, if your pig were to leap or fall, that is a drop of a whole grid, which could do damage. You could taper the side down towards the bottom, for aesthetics, and it wouldn't be such a problem from about 4 spaces from the bottom of grid height.

One way would be attatching a third, longer layer of coroplast under the ramp, scored, bent and attached to the existing side. You did such a grand job, though I'm certain you'll work something out!

this_lil_piggy
01-06-07, 03:35 am
AH! Youch! I just replied on the other thread about it was good that she didn't want to do a scrape :sorry: I would be angry too. I don't let any one treat my animals without me present, I guess it is a good thing.
Like I said, you pay her, not the other way around. I would express my distaste with her not answering questions, and the skin scrape etc. She can conform, or lose business. ;)

OSUCavies
01-06-07, 03:39 am
AH! Youch! I just replied on the other thread about it was good that she didn't want to do a scrape :sorry: I would be angry too. I don't let any one treat my animals without me present, I guess it is a good thing.
Like I said, you pay her, not the other way around. I would express my distaste with her not answering questions, and the skin scrape etc. She can conform, or lose business. ;)

Haha, we have two threads going about the same topic! Yeah I thought you might be confused about the scraping.

I was rather displeased. When I told my mom, she was like "You should've refused to pay!" But like I said in the other thread, it's hard for me to do stuff like that for some reason.

If I decided to call and say something, I don't know who I should talk to...

TNpigowner
01-06-07, 11:25 am
Well done you guys! What a happy, poopered out piggenz!

Ask for the vet manager or someone similar. We ran into the same type of thing with Pheonix. He was in for his yearly and the dr. took him to trim his nails (cuz it's free at the yearly exam) and he mentioned he'd do a poo analysis (sp?) and acted like it was all part of the exam. So i was like, "ok, sure!" and then as i looked at the bill in the car there it was, $25!!!!! To examine a pig poo!! Gosh. We were mad, but paid it and will just always ask if things they "recommend" are extra.

Lesson learned.

OSUCavies
01-06-07, 03:23 pm
Well done you guys! What a happy, poopered out piggenz!

Ask for the vet manager or someone similar. We ran into the same type of thing with Pheonix. He was in for his yearly and the dr. took him to trim his nails (cuz it's free at the yearly exam) and he mentioned he'd do a poo analysis (sp?) and acted like it was all part of the exam. So i was like, "ok, sure!" and then as i looked at the bill in the car there it was, $25!!!!! To examine a pig poo!! Gosh. We were mad, but paid it and will just always ask if things they "recommend" are extra.

Lesson learned.

Whoa! Because you clearly can't examine the poo yourself! That's ridiculous. That's why I hate businesses of almost any sort. They'll do almost anything for a buck. I'm sooo tempted not to return to this same vet. But at the same time, since she is the one that did the mite/lice treatment, I almost feel like I should. Argh. I dunno. :guilty:

TNpigowner
01-06-07, 06:26 pm
I think it was some internal parasite check or something.
I just think they should either ask, or just say up front.

OSUCavies
01-06-07, 07:25 pm
I think it was some internal parasite check or something.
I just think they should either ask, or just say up front.

Exactly. I mean, what if I didn't have that extra 17 dollars to pay? And they charged me without asking.

I hate that.