Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Suggestion to members regarding replies

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
When replying to a message, it is often very helpful just to quote the relevant part you are responding to. Especially if the original message is very long. When you click "reply" it will automatically copy everything but it makes for easier forum reading if you delete parts that are extraneous.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree completely. Some posts are very long and really need to be broken up. Sometimes it's frustrating to have to scroll down past the message that was copied just to hear a sentence or two. This is great advice!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
LiciaMommycott said:
When replying to a message, it is often very helpful just to quote the relevant part you are responding to. Especially if the original message is very long. When you click "reply" it will automatically copy everything but it makes for easier forum reading if you delete parts that are extraneous.

I know I always do that, I am too lazy to break it up. I will try next time though.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
It's ok if you are just quoting a small message, maybe 10 or 15 lines tops. If it's an 100-line essay though, or it takes up a lot of space, that's when it gets a bit much. Thanks for trying! :)

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I've made a few changes to the forum settings to try to reduce the problem with too much automatic quoting.

Treen

Cavy Slave
I can't make a post that is longer than 600 characters now - it asks me to trim it down before I can post it. Is this intentional or a side effect of reducing quoting capacity?

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Okay, I fixed that. I thought I was limiting the quoted part. It's back to the way it was. I'm tempted to just remove the reply button on the individual posts so you have to use the one at the bottom which does NOT do the automatic quoting.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Thanks for at least trying, CavySpirit! I love the new quick reply buttons, by the way. =)

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Ya, the quick reply button is good. Thanks CavySpirit, good job.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i kind of liked the 600 maximum character posting restriction. it made the posts all concise and to the point - everything was easier to read.

Treen

Cavy Slave
But sometimes to answer someone's questions properly, you need to write more than that. And if people needed to, they just got round it by replying more than once in the same thread. So although it cut down on excessive quoting, it didn't necessarily make written replies more concise.

I don't think removing the 'reply with quote' button would be a problem - you can still use the quote function if clearly addressing who you're replying to isn't enough. I doubt people would paste an entire post in to the quote.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I don't get it... What's the quick reply function? You can tell I'm a tad slow

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's ok Piglet. Next to the regular reply function, there is now a new button. Also, there is an area at the bottom of the posts that is the quick reply.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Adding more on Treen's anwser if they did need to write more then 600 charecters they would reply more then once in a row which would take up more space because of the title, screen name, and avater.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.