Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Building a rat cage

dhardawa

Cavy Slave
I want to build my girls a new cage and I looked through the cage pictures and saw some made with cubes with little bitty holes in them. In response to almost every photo there was at least one person asking where the cubes came from and never a reply. So, my question is, where do I buy cubes with the small holes for a rat cage?

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I believe they arent being made anymore. At least I haven't found any, I was also trying to buy some to make a hamster cage.

I would actually suggest buying hardware cloth, and metal rods, and making your own cage. Thats what I was going to do before I bought my hamster (secret) her cage.

If you are in the USA you can find hardware cloth with all size holes at homedepot.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If you can find the pet playpens they make ok ratty cages for a pair of rats if you put at least two or more of them together. You have to take them apart and put them back together in a cage configuration though.

I believe the grids with the tiny holes have been discontinued. You can also try the mesh grids that are sold at Linens N' Things.

ginger_fish

Cavy Slave
I bought mine a bed bath and beyond. There are also some at target. Call around different places and ask.

jadedragen

Cavy Slave
well what i did was to buy a set of cubes at target for $17 then i went out and bought hardware meshing and cut it to the size of the cubes and wired it on.....it looks something like this....
misc_038.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.