Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea pig and turtles need help asap

Amber23

Cavy Slave
I am cross posting this from another forum. I believe the person wanting to rehome these animals lives in Newfoundland. Hopefully someone here can help maybe.

(broken link removed)

I just can't believe what those poor animals are living in!

sweetjay6891

Cavy Slave
Thats sick. I would take all of them if I lived anywhere near there. Unfortunatly i don't.

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
Haha. "It's not pine, it's cedar". The ignorance.

I really hope those animals can find a very good home soon. Before his/her dad gets them "exterminated".

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Oh my gawd.
The guinea pig is in a cage that is only twice as big as it is. The cedar bedding is disgusting and filthy. The water is molded pond water. No hay in sight.
It's no wonder the pigloo is chewed, it probably had to, to prize itself out of it in that itty bitty cage. *sigh*
And the poor turtles. I imagine they just spend all day bumping into each other in that tiny tank and murky water. The "shelf" isn't even high enough for them to perch and take in air on.

If my dad were about to kill the animals I love so much, I wouldn't be trying to sell them...I would be trying to give them away to the best home I could as soon as possible. I have a feeling they just want to get out from under these, so they can use the money to by some new animal species they want now. But then again, I wouldn't let my animals that I love sit in filth like that so what do I know.
URGH some people!

I hope someone is able to save these babies from this idiot.

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
That is horrid, that amounts to abuse in both cases, that of the guinea pig and the turtles. Not sure how you can be *allergic* to something like a turtle unless you have physical contact with it and if her dad has an allergy to them why would he? Well I thought I had seen some bad housing for guinea pigs but nothing compares to this. Where are they located, does anyone know?

kittieb

Cavy Slave
Ugh! Thats so gross! >.<
My baby male piggies have a bigger cage then that!
That water also looks very gross! I'd be so embarrassed to show those pictures to ANYONE. :( Poor piggies. I wish I could adopt them, and take them far far away from all that. :(

smartorl

Cavy Slave
I didn't even notice the dirty water in the bottle. The poor things, the turtle can't even turn around properly. Sadly, those turtles are no where near full grown and at 6 years old should be much, much larger than they are. I am surprised that they are alive! Judging by their water, I bet dad is allergic to their smell!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Heh, albino brown guinea pig.....

Himino

Cavy Slave
I'm discusted... She is so ignorant and has no clue how to properly care for those animals. I am speechless...

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
That is just horrible! The cage is horribly small and dirty and the water! My word it's truely unbelievable of people can neglect pets. Just plain cruel.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Where are they located, does anyone know?
St Johns, Newfoundland, Canada

Amber23

Cavy Slave
Anyone near that location? I have posted on GL too.

It just breaks my heart when I look at those pictures. I am in Indiana, so I cannot help them. I hope that someone can.

Amber23

Cavy Slave
Good news. The piggie will be going to a new home.

The turtles are still looking.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
That is good to hear for the pig. Maybe the owner could check at zoos or reptile parks, that would probably be the poor guys best best. Most people in the private sector will be unable to provide them with what they need which is alot of space. For turtles of that size a pond is ideal, indoor tanks really aren't. A full grown turtle can easily span well over a foot across. I feel really badly for them in that cramped tank, it is a wonder they have survived.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I hope she doesn't get the stupid idea of releasing the turtles. Red Eared Sliders are not native to Canada and they can cause great destruction and spread disease to the natural habitat if she does.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
I didn't think of that, that is such a bad ending for all the animals involved native and non-native. Voodoo Joint, are there any stats on how many of the little green babies actually see maturity? I was at the flea market right before Christmas watching this huge tank of babies being sold like they were lottery tickets with those little bowls.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Voodoo Joint, are there any stats on how many of the little green babies actually see maturity? I was at the flea market right before Christmas watching this huge tank of babies being sold like they were lottery tickets with those little bowls.
I have no stats and I doubt any exist as these animals aren't properly regulated and most people do not take the turtles to the vet. I would be surprised if 1 out 50 turtles survived a year and 1 out of 100 survived to maturity (at least a 4 inch wide shell and capable of reproduction).

If ever ANYONE in the United States sees baby turtles being sold call the FDA and animal control. Even if they have one of those not so clever signs on the tank that says "for educational purposes only". Even though I homeschool I cannot legally buy one of those turtles because I do not have the appropriate paperwork, not even a registared teacher qualifies. It is illegal to sell any turtleor tortoise with a carapace (shell) of 4" or smaller. All of these stands and shops are breaking the law and must be reported to the FDA. If you live outside the United States you probably have a similar law. Check and find out.

Here is a link containing the FDA statute on turtle sales.
https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scrip....cfm?FR=1240.62

smartorl

Cavy Slave
That is good to know. It is sad to see how many are sold because I know that very few will survive. I have always wondered about the "educational purposes" signs and how that can be legal because I have never seen anyone asked anything remotely related to their qualifications. Every shop that I frequent has alot of baby turtles as well as several booths at the flea market solely for selling turtles of differnt varieties out of huge rubbermaid containers. I have to laugh and step in when you hear them being touted as the perfect pet because they are clean and don't smell. I am going to read over the link. Are we flooded because of being in Florida or are they everywhere like this?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
They are everywhere. Many malls and flea markets around the county have tanks or kiosks selling baby turtles. The FDA really has to get off their butts and do something about this.

smartorl

Cavy Slave
No doubt, they are everywhere here! I read and reread the statute and it seems very black and white, there was no gray area in my opinion. Why then are they for sale everywhere?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.