Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescue???

• Thread starter cinn&sprinslave
  • Start date

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
I am thinking of starting a guinea pig rescue, a friend of mine said she would help out too. (Well actually I never thought of actually starting one I just thought it would be awesome if I could, but then my friend convinced me that we could do it together.) We have decided that the rescue will only care for 5 piggies to start off with. Do you have to be licensed to have a rescue? What do we need to do? If any one could help it would be great. We have been talking about this for a long time now but we need to know how to get started etc.
Thanks in advance
Cinn&sprinslave

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
We don't want to be a huge rescue just a small rescue for 5 guinea pigs or less.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
I dont know anything about starting a rescue, but if you start one, I'll get my piggy from you!

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I would start by calling Animal Control or a shelter in your area and ask about any laws regarding animal rescues. When you do start, make sure to get the word out everywhere. Post flyers anywhere that has a bullitin (sp?) board (churches, grocery stores, pet stores, vet offices, other stores, etc...) Make sure you post everywhere on the internet too, especially petfinder. Good Luck!

Katie

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed) has a butt load of information on starting a rescue, start there.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yep, go to the link above. You'll get bombarded with tons and TONS of info!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the link! I haven't had time to read it all. But so far I have come up with-

$10.00 surrender fee
$10.00 adoption fee (If the adoptie would like piggy nuetered $65, I think that is resonable considering even the Oregon Humaine Society doesn't nueter their piggies, but if you really want it done you can pay the price for the pig to be fixed and the adoption fee, I already asked the humaine society about this)
We are thinking about only taking pigs from 2 areas, unless the surrender is willing to drive to where we live.
We are hoping to only have 4 piggies at a time, (do to the fact we would prefer to adopt out in pairs if possible) but we will take 5 but 6 is our limit.
We are still deciding some other things right now but will keep you updated.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
$10 is fine for a surrender fee, but you may want to up it to $20 or $25 for adoption. Remember, you are taking care of the pigs, and it'll be expensive. You'll also want to maybe have a site, list at petfinder and cavyrescue, make flyers/posters, etc.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
that is a really great link! But starting a rescue sounds like a lot of work - cinn&sprinslave, where are you going to get all the money from?
In case the rescue thing doesn't work out, may i suggest taking Humane society piggies for foster care? this way, you would still be helping abandoned animals, but you wont have to worry about any money (which if you're in a situation at all similar to mine, moolah is hard to get)

just a thought...

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
that is a really great link! But starting a rescue sounds like a lot of work - cinn&sprinslave, where are you going to get all the money from?
In case the rescue thing doesn't work out, may i suggest taking Humane society piggies for foster care? this way, you would still be helping abandoned animals, but you wont have to worry about any money (which if you're in a situation at all similar to mine, moolah is hard to get)

just a thought...

Oh i wont be opening until atleast after Christams or Valentines day. I am going to make stuff and sell it at a bazaar (aka a craft fair type of thing). I am going to raise enough money (before i start) to take three pigs to the vet so $200, I already have supplies, I just have to build the cage. I am going to get 4 or 5 people involved so that maybe moola won't be that much of a problem.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
Oh i wont be opening until atleast after Christams or Valentines day. I am going to make stuff and sell it at a bazaar (aka a craft fair type of thing). I am going to raise enough money (before i start) to take three pigs to the vet so $200, I already have supplies, I just have to build the cage. I am going to get 4 or 5 people involved so that maybe moola won't be that much of a problem.
oh, ok. well, sounds like you have it all covered!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
oh, ok. well, sounds like you have it all covered!

Well first $200 for vet bills, then another $300 for what ever comes along. I definantly won't start actually rescuing for a while. I want to have $500 first.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
$10 is fine for a surrender fee, but you may want to up it to $20 or $25 for adoption. Remember, you are taking care of the pigs, and it'll be expensive. You'll also want to maybe have a site, list at petfinder and cavyrescue, make flyers/posters, etc.
Ok thats what I thought for an adoption fee at first but then changed it. \
$25 a pig (not fixed)
$50 for a bonded pair (not fixed same sex)
$70 for a nuetered male
$90 for a nutered male and female pair
$10 surrender fee per pig

I will only nueter a male if the adopties have a female and would like a fixed male.

I am not sure about legalizing the name of the rescue and stuff like that. Since it is going to be small and only local surrenders etc, I don't think I will mess with legalizing. Not sure yet I will have to talk it over with my friend.

Last edited:

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
I am not going to accept money donations, due to the fact of taxing etc, I will except supplies, used cages, toys, food, veggies, etc. Just not money. I know that many people wouldn't donate anyways. If I decide to get bigger and expand then I will legalize and except donation. But I want to see how it goes with just taking in 5/6 pigs.

But before I do any rescue stuff I mainly want enough money raised to get started and be well off before I take in pigs. It may take a while but I am willing to wait. I want to have 5 friends involved and others that are willing to help. I am going to plan before I actually do anything. (I love planning!!!)

Last edited:

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Today I got free tomatoes and cucumbers for the piggies. From someones garden!! Yay!!! Sorry I just had to tell all of you!!!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
What size of cage should I have? I have seven pet store cages, I will use those for quarentining (sp?) and if they have mites, or are sick. But what size of C&C cage should I have? (I will probably split the cage in half because the boys will be on one side and the girls on the other.)

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I would charge less for a pair of piggies to encourage people to adopt a pair, maybe charge only $35 or $40 a pair.

cornhill

Cavy Slave
rescue

bunnyluv17 said:
I would start by calling Animal Control or a shelter in your area and ask about any laws regarding animal rescues. When you do start, make sure to get the word out everywhere. Post flyers anywhere that has a bullitin (sp?) board (churches, grocery stores, pet stores, vet offices, other stores, etc...) Make sure you post everywhere on the internet too, especially petfinder. Good Luck!
I would also try to find a sign company that would donate magnetic signs for your vehicle if you have one. I did that for "Chesapeake Guinea Pig Rescue" here in Virginia, plus other supplies. I also have a sign on the back of my van advertizing for the rescue. Just thought I would suggest that.
Good Luck!!!!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
bunnyluv17 said:
I would charge less for a pair of piggies to encourage people to adopt a pair, maybe charge only $35 or $40 a pair.

Ok I think I will go with $40 a pair.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
What size of cage should I have? I have seven pet store cages, I will use those for quarentining (sp?) and if they have mites, or are sick. But what size of C&C cage should I have? (I will probably split the cage in half because the boys will be on one side and the girls on the other.)
I am going to make a 3x3 (or 3x2 not sure yet) C&C cage, and a 1x5 (in the shape of an L) c&c cage. I measured and this is what I have room for. The rescues will be in a separte room, but the room will have one of my pigs in it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.