Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Anyone use carpet on their ramps?

savage

Cavy Slave
I used carpet on my ramp for my piggie. And she has discovered how much fun it is to chew it. Is this safe or should I replace the carpet? Curious if it might be dangerous to her inside if swallowed? She is also on baytril for pneumonia. But is doing great and is gaining weight and eating food like normal. So with the sickness I am extra concerned about the carpet being swallowed as well.

Tulip

Cavy Slave
Yes, there are several people on here who use carpeting over their ramps. Not sure if they have a problem with their piggies eating it, but I guess that just depends on their individual pigs. I wouldn't think it would be good for the piggers to eat it, though. Carpeting has a lot of chemicals and unnatural products in it. You may want to rethink your ramp covering.

You could also look up past posts on ramps or cages and pictures to see who has the carpeting, and then send them a pm and ask about it.
Good Luck!

Tulip

Cavy Slave
I forgot to ask if your piggy always has plentiful hay to munch on. Also, do you just have one pig? If so she may be lonely and bored! Make sure she has a companion of the same sex and things in her cage to keep her busy.

savage

Cavy Slave
I know that she needs a pal. not an issue...we plan to adopt in a month or so once she is better. Yes she has plenty of timothy hay and things to chew on (tubes ect.) I think the glue must have a good odor to it. Possible. Any suggestions on what works well with covering. Probably have to use the linoleum and cover with the fleece. (Is this commonly done?) Will look at other ramps as well...

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
I haven't used actual carpet, but I did have my ramps covered in woven rugs that I got for 1.00 each. It worked great for a short time, but it got really dingy and yuck after a few weeks not only from them running up and down them, but they loved he rugs so I started catching them actually sleeping on the ramps (and where they sleep they are going to pee!) Then I started noticing the pigs chewing on them as well. I don't know how much if any they were able to actually ingest--I never found any "bites" out of it, but they were fascinated with the little loops in the weave and would tug and tug at them.
I wound up ditching the rugs.

My ramps now are made up of grids bent in half, and then a piece of coroplast running the length of the floor of the ramp. I used a rubbery type shelf liner and tape to make a snug fitting cover for the coroplast so that they can grip to walk up and down. It has worked out well so far. I can easily clean off the "rubber", and there is nothing loose for the pigs to try and tug at.

TNpigowner

Cavy Slave
We have regular carpet on our guy's ramp. They usually only try to get any stray strings (which are rare) otherwise they don't pay it any attention.

Does your piggie go for the raw edges or pulls the carpet up and nibbles?

We are actually debating carpeting their whole C and C cage.

savage

Cavy Slave
She only chews at the bottom of the ramp in one corner. She seems to pull the fiber up from the ramp at the edge so that you can see the carpet mesh i had to cut that part off, but she continued on her buffet and still chewed at it. I am going to replace it tonight at cage cleaning time, just to be on the safe side. We have 2 cats, a dog, and 4 kids, and I think she is the most spoilt family member in our home. lol

wolfie

Cavy Slave
I use a cut strip of rubber-backed bathroom carpet for the ramp. Our boys haven't tried to chew it yet- though the little one starting chewing the coroplast underneath it. (I had to cover it with a piece of fleece.) Unfortunately the strip of carpet did not do so well in the washing machine. I am careful to trim any loose threads or fibers on it, but I'd love some new ideas also.

TNpigowner

Cavy Slave
My hubby works at a home improvement store and suggested a kit that lets you "finish" the rough edges of carpeting. Not sure what its called.

savage

Cavy Slave
Just thought i should post a pict of what the ramp edge looks like... but again completely taking carpet out tonight. :)
DSCF0004.JPG
[/IMG]

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
My hubby works at a home improvement store and suggested a kit that lets you "finish" the rough edges of carpeting. Not sure what its called.
Probably a binding kit. I know when you have the edges of a remnant finished off, it's called having it bound.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I use a piece of the cheap outdoor/frontdoor mats. No chewing problems here.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
I use bent grids, coroplast, layer of towel and top layer of fleece. The coro and other stuff is attached to the grids with binder clips. So easy to remove from the grids and replace with clean. No chewing.

TNpigowner

Cavy Slave
Binding kit! Thats it! Thanks.

Cassidy forever

Cavy Slave
At first for my carpet-covered ramp I put their little pillow over it so Cassidy wouldn't chew on it( she is the only chewer). Afterr a while I took the pillow off and nobody chewed on it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.