Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning after Mites

Denise

Cavy Slave
I have searched this site and G/L and can't find out what kind of things do I need to do to clean my girls cage after their mite treatment is over. What do I need to do?

piggylover101

Cavy Slave
Denise said:
I have searched this site and G/L and can't find out what kind of things do I need to do to clean my girls cage after their mite treatment is over. What do I need to do?[/QUOT

You have to clean it more frequently then you do now, like every two/three days (thats what I did when mine got mites), wash all there huts, toys, food dishes, and water bottles or anything else in the cage quite frequently. I would take out the huts and toys so you wouldn't have to disinfect them so offten. Hope your piggs get better.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
What I did is:

1. Took out and washed all my piggies' plastic toys, and I just took out the wooden ones (the mites won't survive on a nonliving host)
2. Disinfected the whole cage with a 10% bleach solution, rinsing very thoroughly. I did this to be sure it was all clean, but I usually use a 50% vinegar solution.
3. Cleaned twice or three times a week, and gave the pigs a bath once a week.

Hope everything goes well!

Denise

Cavy Slave
Did you wash the cage and toys once treatment was complete or some time after? Did you bathe, using what, once a week when, during treatment or after? Thanks=)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Denise said:
Did you wash the cage and toys once treatment was complete or some time after? Did you bathe, using what, once a week when, during treatment or after? Thanks=)
I took out and washed all their toys right away, and didn't put them back until their mites were gone. They really didn't miss the houses or toys too much, and it was just for a couple weeks.

I washed the cage with the bleach solution every time I cleaned it, about twice a week, during their treatments and for the first cleaning afterward (just to be sure).

I bathed the pigs in the bathtub with the door shut so no drafts would come in and it would stay nice and warm. I used warm water, and filled the deep end with about two inches of it, so that they still had a dry part in the shallow end. I used baby shampoo, which I found out wasn't the best option. I have heard that bunny bath shampoo sold online works great for their baths. I bathed them once a week during treatment, usually on the same days I was cleaning and they had their treatments. I also bathed them for the last time after the treatments were done, the same time I used the bleach solution. After that, I was done. I have had no mite problems since!

Good luck to you and your pigs! For more about mites, you can always visit guinealynx and look around the medical info or the forums there. =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.