Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stupid question, perhaps, but...

CBrewton5

Cavy Slave
Tonight we had play practice at church. When we got home I caught Peanut in the act of chewing on the side of their ramp, made of coroplast. Sure enough when she moved there was a bite size chunk out of the other side of the ramp too. Surely you guys would not suggest putting something in the cage that would be bad for them if they chewed on it, so as I said this might be a stupid question but I figured it was worth asking. The two baby girls are not big 'chewers' so I'd not encountered this before. They have plenty of hay, pellets and veggies in the cage at all times so its not as if they are hungry, the only thing I can think of is possible boredom but I haven't figured out anything for them to really do besides lap/floor time other than getting some PVC pipe for tunnels but then that wouldn't give them alot of activity since I've heard alot of pigs just sleep in theirs LOL

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Unless she is eating huge amounts it shouldn't hurt her. When my boys chew on something they shouldn't I normally put a big pile of hay right in front of them. Even if their hay rack is full it normally stops them.

For toys have you tried mirrors or those balls with bells in them?

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
If she has just chewed it a little, it is ok. She doesn't need to ingest a lot of it though
If she continues to do it, you may need to cover the coroplast edges with something like those slide on binding bars that you slide a book report down into... you should be able to find them at walmart or freds pretty cheap. See attached pic.
You could also cover the edges with fleece or something like that.

Last edited:

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
You still need to give them places to hide, even if they appear to just be sleeping in them. When they feel the urge to burn some energy, believe me, they will do it even in a cage that is too small, YouTube is proof of that, :sad:

The best way to keep their brain occupied is to have plenty of boxes, and bent grids (forget PVC pipes, too expensive and they have to be cleaned) and oatmeal canisters etc in the cage. Then every single night, rearrange them.

If you sit and watch them afterwards, they will have a ton of fun exploring the new layout.
May_June_2006_003.jpg

Lay them so that they can go from one to the other and then around back and forth. Here is my extreme version that I do for "playtime" on the weekends. The boys get sooo excited when I'm doing it that they can't wait for me to finish and start going through them when I'm doing it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.