Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Carefresh

CavyCatastrophe

Cavy Slave
I was using carefresh and it stank horrible after about 12 hours. I have never had a problem with any other bedding smelling like that. Is that just care fresh or what cause if theres something i can do i would like to change back to carefresh.

manda81

Cavy Slave
CavyCatastrophe said:
I was using carefresh and it stank horrible after about 12 hours. I have never had a problem with any other bedding smelling like that. Is that just care fresh or what cause if theres something i can do i would like to change back to carefresh.
i've had that problem with it too. but mine was after 2 days. i change my cages every third day and just keep the wet litter and excess yucks out. my roommates have 9 rats, a hedgehog, and there are two rabbits. right now we're looking for the cheapest bedding cuz of the number of animals, that gives us the best results. we're trying to line the cages and put corn cob bedding on it. the lady i got my piggy from recommended it so we thought we would give it a shot. so far it's wonderful. we're trying a shred-a-bed things to. they all seem to like that. the rip it apart and then sleep on it and it's absorbant. i'll have to tell everyone about it.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
Do what most of us do... put down a layer of Carefresh and then top it off with a layer of aspen/kiln-dried pine. Smells nice, stays fresh, absorbs lots.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You can also do the reverse, like I do: put down a thick layer of aspen bedding, then top it off with a thin coating of CareFresh (sounds like I'm cooking here!). That way, they have a soft surface to run on, and the smell isn't an issue (though I don't have a problem with the carefresh). Good luck on that!

blink1177

Cavy Slave
yeah, I have aspen on the bottom and carefresh on the top. works well for me.

Denise

Cavy Slave
Aspen topped with Carefresh works great for me, too!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.