PDA

View Full Version : Under The Wire?

KaceyH
12-13-06, 05:52 am
I was thinking of ways to make my cage without coroplast (Hard to find around here!) and well, I was thinking. If I was to have newspaper and fleece on the inside of the 'gate' will the piggy be able to dig under the 'gate' and escape? Sorry I am bad at explaining things.
XO
Kayla

JarBax
12-13-06, 12:47 pm
By 'gate' - do you mean 'grids'? For my floortime, I sometimes put down a groundsheet, then a sheet, then newspapers, then fleece, with the grids on top. The pigs have never tried to dig under - but they are only in there for a day or so. Whilst I imagine it would be unlikely - there are some amazing burrowing piggies out there - and I wouldn't want to risk them getting stuck if they tried to go under!

The corroplast not only contains the piggies - so they can't try to dig under anything, but contains bedding, poops and pee too - You would have to use a huge amount of newspaper to ensure the pee didn't penetrate whatever was underneath. Coroplast is also a good insulator (the sheets I bought were being sold on e-bay as insulation for buildings).

Where do you live? Maybe other members could help you source some locally. Have you tried the 'found mine at' section on the home page? If you can't find any at all, you can use linoleum as an alternative.

KaceyH
12-13-06, 02:46 pm
I live on Long Island, New York.
If I can get some help it would be great.
:confused:

fourbwabbys
12-13-06, 08:36 pm
I looked on www.yellowpages.com (http://www.yellowpages.com) for sign shops.

this_lil_piggy
12-14-06, 01:17 am
Coroplast can be bought at sign shops, that print signs for businesses.
You can also get out of date campaign signs off the side of the road, or go to some local gas stations, beer stores, tobacco stores, and grocery stores and ask them if they have any plastic advertisement signs or will they save you some when some of their promotions end. Most places like this are happy for you to come take this stuff off their hands rather than them having to dispose of it. They can easily be taped together to use as a cage liner.

If all else fails, you can use a shower liner pulled under the grids and clipped to the outside high enough to contain the liter. I wouldnt put just newspaper and fleece on the floor, it is likely to get your floor pretty gross underneath and smell. You could also use a protective matress pad for a bed under the newspaper and fleece, but those are pretty expensive in comparison to a shower liner and harder to clean than a piece of coroplast.

Slave to the Wheek
12-14-06, 04:02 am
Umm. Trust Me. There is a reason everyone prefers coroplast. If you are going to the work of buildilng a cage, you might as well do it right. It will make your life so much easier in the long run, and be safer for your piggies.

It's worth it to just make the effort to find it. In Long Island it's going to be readily available, you just have to make an effort. Using other things like shower curtains or liners can't even be compared. One of the things about corrugated plastic, is that it adds strength to the cage design in addition to making it easier to clean and is much safer on pigs feet when they do their laps. It's cheap, and it's easily manipulated by the average gal.

Linoleum or "Vinyl Flooring" is okay, but not as easily used and more expensive as a rule. If all else fails, go to Home Depot, and at the end of an aisle somewhere you will find a box of really cheapo linoleum that is 6x9 remnant for 19.99 a roll. It's really cheapo, but works just fine for cages. It's so cheap that you can cut it to size with box cutters. It's flimsy but far more secure than a shower curtain.

SIGNS, POSTERS, ADVERTISING DISPLAYS IN LONG ISLAND, NY (http://www.citidexli.com/850.htm)
Start at that link and just start calling everyone and asking where they get they get it. Instead of saying coroplast, just ask if they have corugated plastic for sale. That you are building a guinea pig cage, and just ask them where you might find it.

I guarantee in a city like that you will not only find coroplast, you will find someone to sell it to you cheap.

Edited to add:
I just checked the locator and there are 38 people who have found it who posted it on the locator in New York. It might help you to take a look:
http://www.guineapigcages.com/where.htm