Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

is it ok floor time on outdoor brick patio?

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
we have a brick patio in our yard, so i was wondering if on nice days, for a bit of variety, we could take the pigs out there for *strictly monitored* floor time? would they like it at all? I would just take them out to the lawn, but we use fertilizer on the grass, and i don't ant them to eat anything toxic, but i thought it would be nice to take them somewhere outside. So would the patio work?

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
I think that would be fine, might even help with trimming nails. Just be sure to provide shade on warm days. Maybe you could make a playground for them on the patio?

Denise

Cavy Slave
Just make sure the patio stone isn't too hot for their little feet. We put our playpen on the patio with a cloth diaper in one side for them to rest their feet. They love it outside.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Thats sounds like a good idea. I've heard of somebody putting bricks in the cage so that the pigs can cool down, so the patio could help them cool down on a hot day.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
ok, thanks for all the replies. I'll keep it all in mind!

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
loves2travel said:
we have a brick patio in our yard, so i was wondering if on nice days, for a bit of variety, we could take the pigs out there for *strictly monitored* floor time? would they like it at all? I would just take them out to the lawn, but we use fertilizer on the grass, and i don't ant them to eat anything toxic, but i thought it would be nice to take them somewhere outside. So would the patio work?

Yep that should work fine, if you think it is too hot for their feet you can pour water on the cement. That usually cools it down. I take my pigs on the cement all the time. I also take them in the grass but sometimes I worry about them catching fleas..

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
yes, the water pouring would work since i have a hose just a couple feet away from the patio

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
A beach towel could also work. Just an idea!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
a towel would work, but the point of having floor time outside was to minimize the set up and clean up involved so i'll ditch the towels, and save the patio for moderate weather days.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, sounds great!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
i just found another great place to ahve floor time outside! Theres this big wooden box, drilled into the ground, raised on a platform, with walls about 18" high. Its pretty big, id say the size of a 3x12. It was there when we bought the house, filled up with dirt. It used to be a vegetable garden. I was thinking that i could plant grass seeds instead, and grow it without fertilizer(unlike our lawn) and they could have monitered floor time there, in the grass!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
oh yes, i wanted to ask - is there any type of grass to avoid (other than chemically treated grass) and is there any particular type of grass the guinea pigs seem to like a lot?

Louis
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.