Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My sweet Louise...

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
I lost my sweet little girl last week. It hurt much more than I thought it would, since I knew she didn't have much longer and thought I was prepared.

I bought Louise 7 years ago as a pet for my then 13 year old daughter, who fell in love with her at the pet store, knowing basically nothing about guinea pigs. She started out in my daughter's bedroom, but as her life became busier with school and social events, I took pity on Louise and brought her down to the family room, where I proceeded to fall in love with her myself, and took over her care. In 2002, I began discovering guinea pig websites, and by 2003 had gotten her out of her pet store cage and into a C&C cage, with better food, hay and veggies.

Then in Feb. of 2004, she had a cancerous tumor removed from her neck. We didn't know how long she would survive after that, but she amazed us all by living another 2 years symptom free. Then, a few months ago, we found the cancer had returned to her lungs. The only real treatment option was oral steroids and comfort care. She seemed to remain comfortable, but last week her appetite dropped suddenly, and she appeard uncomfortable. I held her for an hour in my lap the night before she passed, and I knew she was in trouble. The next morning, while she hadn't eaten hardly anything, she did accept her medicine and treat very willingly, even doing her usual purring when she took it.

When I came home from work that afternoon, she was gone. She was hiding under her ramp, and looked like she had gone fairly peacefully. I hope so...she deserved to. She was a real lady, and loved by our entire family. We will all miss her very much.

I won't be getting another pig any time soon...we plan to retire in the next few years, and want to do some traveling. But I will still be doing foster care, so I will stop by the board on occasion as I get new critters to care for.

Rest in Peace, my sweet angel.

twinkies

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry.:hug: IT is so hard when we loose a pet, as our pets are part of our family. I know that is how most people are, having pets as part of their families. Again, soooooo sorry. RIP Louise.:angel:

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Ohh - I am so sorry to hear about Louise. It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you - and was a wee sweet heart. RIP little one.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
My thoughts are with you. They are so good and they never truly live long enough. You gave her the gift of a wonderful loving home. May they welcome her on the rainbow bridge.

CashewTheQueen
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.