Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece water resistant?

Tommy

Cavy Slave
Hello,

A half year ago I used for the first time fleece. I didn't like it because the pie didn't go straight thrue the fleece but stay on for a few minutes. Also the poop smelled more because it didn't dry so fast. Well on a dutch forum, I read that the pie will go straight thrue te fleece, and that the poop dry soon because the fleece let the pie straight true. I really want to try fleece again so I have just buy new fleece. The label says:

Anti-pilling
Fleece equipped with anti pilling. For active sport and leisure.
- soft and flexible
- heat insulating
- breathable
- moisture regulating
- feather light

Well because is says moisture regulating I thougt that it would let water true. I have just put some water on it but it stays for a while on the fleece :mad: I have just put in the washmachine...

Have somebody a idee how I can get the water faster thrue my fleece??? Wash it maybe on a special way...???

hope someone has an idea?!

greats Tommy

Rachel's Cavy Cove

Cavy Slave
The fleece should be polyester. You might need to wash if a few times to get the water proofing out of it. Don't throw it in the dryer or use fabric softener at all or the water will sit on top. That is all I can think of. Hope that helps. Good luck!

fairysari

Cavy Slave
I agree with Rachel, put in in the washing machine a few times, and it should stop being waterproof. Often the cheapest fleece is the kind that works the best.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I don't think the dryer effects it. At least it didn't with mine. Fabric softener is definitely a bad idea though as it will coat the fabric and semi-waterproof it again.

Rachel's Cavy Cove

Cavy Slave
It's not the dryer so much as it is the fabric softener. It puts back in what you washed out so that the liquid will sit on top again. If you throw it in the dryer chances are that you will throw a softener sheet in there or everything will have static cling. I just hang mine to dry and it works great.

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
Dryer doesn't bother mine, but no dryer sheets or softeners of any kind. Also, wash in HOT water, it helps cut the repellent, also ad small amount of bleach, say about 1/2 cup every time you wash it.

It takes at least 3 washes in hot water, to cut any sprayed on repellent. Then, be sure to use a good absorbant layer under the fleece. Fleece alone, no matter how absorbant doesn't work.

You have to remove the poops at least 2 times a day for fleece to work as well. I use a small 2 gallon wet-dry shop vac that is dedicated to sucking up poops that I keep under the cage.

If you can, try to sew (by hand if you have to) some small string sized pieces of fleece along the sides of the fleece, then you can just tie it down (like a chair paid, but you have to poke holes in your coroplast at the base) it is an awesome way to hold down the fleece so you can sweep or suck poops quickly.

Once you've washed it several times, then go ahead and try to use it. You'll know in a few days if it's going to work. I've found that some fleeces that aren't all that absorbant for water, seem to absorb urine still.

Rachel's Cavy Cove

Cavy Slave
Like I said it's not the dryer that is the problem it's the fact that most people automatically throw in a dryer sheet with it. I am usually washing my fleece with my towels and I want them fluffy and not static-ey. So I just take the fleece out and hang it to dry and throw the rest in the dryer. It's really more avoiding a mistake due to habit. I mean the dryer sheet is added so automatically that you don't even think about it and before you know it you have to wash the fleece all over again because you made it waterproof. At least I know that is what would happen with me. I am that absent minded. Better to avoid it all together in my case!

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
...I mean the dryer sheet is added so automatically that you don't even think about it and before you know it you have to wash the fleece all over again because you made it waterproof. At least I know that is what would happen with me. I am that absent minded. Better to avoid it all together in my case!

Hehe.. I totally get that! By the way, I think I read that vinegar in the rinse water also cuts static too...but haven't tried it yet.

I do notice they dry really fast and don't really need to go in the dryer. I like to use the dryer just because I let it run for a super long time so that gets more of the hair off.

_Anja_

Cavy Slave
Dryer doesn't bother mine, but no dryer sheets or softeners of any kind. Also, wash in HOT water, it helps cut the repellent, also ad small amount of bleach, say about 1/2 cup every time you wash it.

And the definition of HOT water is...? :rolleyes:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Set your washing machine to HOT. I usually did mine with hot wash, warm double rinse.

_Anja_

Cavy Slave
With the machine I'm using I have to manually choose the temperature (celsius)...

Tommy

Cavy Slave
Washing powder, does that also make the fleece water resistant, of only softener?

Slave to the Wheek

Cavy Slave
It depends on the product your using. If it says it has fabric softener added, then don't use it.

I recommend using a laundry detergent/washing powder or whatever it's called in the Nederlands that is made for allergy prone people. The best thing to use is something that is fragrance free.

Also, if at all possible, and extra rinse makes it really fluffy, and helps remove detergent build-up.

Imagine having your face 3 inches from something that is all perfumed up. It seems like it would be really bad for you long term. Plus bare little piggers feet, sinus', and testicles might get irritated over time, with the perfumes and dies that the regular laundry detergent deposits or coats onto the fabric in each wash.

If you can't find anything that is dye/fragrance free, then it's even more important to try to do an extra rinse.

Also, using vinegar in the rinse cylce on occasion is a good way to cut that build-up as well.

Tommy

Cavy Slave
It depends on the product your using. If it says it has fabric softener added, then don't use it.

I recommend using a laundry detergent/washing powder or whatever it's called in the Nederlands that is made for allergy prone people. The best thing to use is something that is fragrance free.

Also, if at all possible, and extra rinse makes it really fluffy, and helps remove detergent build-up.

Imagine having your face 3 inches from something that is all perfumed up. It seems like it would be really bad for you long term. Plus bare little piggers feet, sinus', and testicles might get irritated over time, with the perfumes and dies that the regular laundry detergent deposits or coats onto the fabric in each wash.

If you can't find anything that is dye/fragrance free, then it's even more important to try to do an extra rinse.

Also, using vinegar in the rinse cylce on occasion is a good way to cut that build-up as well.

Thanks for your answer, I will look for a good washpowder!!

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
With the machine I'm using I have to manually choose the temperature (celsius)...
Hot tap (and washing machine) water in the US is generally between 120-130 F, which would be about 50-55 C.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.