Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties New rattie owner with a bunch of questions

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
I recently got 2 male rats, who are about 8 weeks old and still getting used to me (i've had them less than a week).
They are in a wire cage with a 5" deep plastic bottom, I'm estimating the cage to be about 20" long, 14"wide, and 24" deep with the wire bars about 1/2" apart. I have them in Carefresh bedding, and their main food is LM Animal Farms classic mouse and rat food. (it looks like nuggets or frosted mini-wheats but w/o the frosting) I also have some treats for them like Kaytee Veggie puffs, some peanuts still in shell, and Oxbow Carrot bites (not sure on the name- little pellets). They have several hidey houses- one is a square wooden box with a corner cut out and 2 holes, 1 on the side and 1 on top. There's a small half log wooden tunnel, and I picked up a jigsaw puzzle type build-it-yourself thing - that has multiple pieces, different colors and shapes and you just make a multi layered house for them. I also have a small exercise wheel (which they don't seem to like to much) but it's the solid kind, made out of plastic. I definitely didn't want any tiny feet getting caught and stuck.
I've heard you can use variations on their staple diet and wanted to know what's OK to use and what isn't. Here's the list I've found online so far: dog food, cheerios, dry uncooked pasta, uncooked brown or long grain rice, Kashi cereal, dried fruit like cranberries, yogurt or yogurt bites...That's all I can think of for now. What foods are necessary every day and what are good treats? I've tried them on a small handful of Oxbow orchard grass hay- they completely ignored that.
I also have some questions on the behavior I've seen so far. I try to take both of them out (1 at a time) for 15 minutes of lap time at least once a day. Already being a dog, cat and cavy owner (no, neither dog or cat have access to my pocket pets) I wash my hands before I take each of them out to try and reduce stress, and make sure they don't think my fingers are food. Each of them will make small, huffy-sneezing noises immediately followed by face washings. This will happen several times throughout lap time. I'm starting to worry they have a respiratory infection or something.
And any help you can give me on body language (so I know what to look for) is much appreciated.
I read on one site that if you wear an old t-shirt all day and then leave it in their cage that will help them get more used to you and your smell. I'm still waiting to see how that turns out, as I've only put my t-shirt in last night.
Thank you all very much for your help.

valerie k

Cavy Slave
Beware, they will eat your t-shirt in the cage. Your cage seems big enough, the bigger the better tho. A rat needs space to grow. I feed my rats whats known as the suebee diet. Its from another rat site that is totally rat. (broken link removed)

Basically, anything I eat, my rats want to eat.

When it comes to getting used to you, that does take a bit of time. I suggest sitting on the couch, and letting them run around on it. They will come back to you and scamper away, Its good to give them a niblet of treat when they come to you. Soon, they will adore getting out of the cage for human time. I have rats that ride on my shoulder while I walk around. I take them out when I sit at the computer and let them roam the desk. They are extremely social animals.

As for the sneezing, if its persistent, if they do this alot in thier cage, a vet visit is probably in order. If they have a raspy sound, or wheezing it best to get them in. You will want to call around and find a great rat savy vet.

Enjoy your new family members, they are so much fun.

kat_0521

Cavy Slave
Thank you for replying!
I know my t-shirt will get eaten, (i'm expecting that to happen) the thing is about 7 years old already and I'm surprised it hasn't fallen apart by now. My light grey, Andy, adores the t-shirt and will spend most of his time cuddled under there. Jack, who is almost black in color, will spend most of his time in the square hidey-house. Since having it in there, I think it (the t-shirt)has made a big impact on getting them used to me and my smell. Well worth the t-shirt "sacrifice" in my opinion.
The sneezing only happens when I have them out for lap time, or if I've just put my hand in the cage for a scratch or to give a treat. I've had a member on another forum suggest a "wet dusting" around the area of the cage and the room that the cage is in. That's making an improvement. However, being the worried mum that I am, I'll call different vets, get a price quote and get them in for a quick check-up. Better safe than sorry.
Thank you again. I really appreciate the help.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I too fed my rats the suebees rat diet. They also love anything fresh. I fed veggies and fruits. Whatever I gave my GP's I give the rats and my rabbits. Once in a while as a treat I gave nuts, fortune cookies, cheese or cheetos. Rats love junk food so you have to give it sparinly.
Rats love to climb. If they have ramps and different levels, they like that. Mine would never use a wheel. They also love hammocks and cubes or tents to sleep in. I had 4 rats and all would pile into the cube and sleep on top of each other.
There is a virus that starts with an M I think (I can't remember right now) that all rats can carry. Its an upper resperiotory infection. Most petstore rats come with it. It is contagious. If a rat has an active case of it they need to be on antibiotics. An exotic vet can take care of rats.
Rats are wonderful pets. Enjoy yours. Ratsrule is a wonderful site and will give you alot of info.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.