Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Surprise Baby

elvis'mom

Cavy Slave
Hi, I am Elvis'mom in Alberta. I just wanted to share the shock and awe with everyone. I got home from work late tonight and there was a new baby in my guinea pig pen. I actually think that she is getting ready to have another one. Lisa Marie, the baby's new name, seems to be fine, but I have never had a guinea pig have babies before. Elvis has only been with us for about 2 months. And to be honest with everyone I actually thought that she was just getting fat. But now I am a grandmother. I just needed some support from everyone because I think I suffered a minor heart attack tonight. Anyways, I'll post some pics when I get the chance. If anyone has any advice for having a new baby, it's more than welcome. Thanks.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. Congradulations on your babies and that Momma is ok. I have never had babies, but there is alot of members who can help with babies. I know also there is past threads that deal with raising babies.
Good luck.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Congratulations! Guinea pig babies are so much fun, I just love them. :) What kind of pellets are you feeding them? They need to be eating a high qulaity alfalfa-based pellet, like Kleenmamas, Oxbow or Mazuri.
If the baby is a boy (you can figure it out by looking here: https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm) he needs to be seperated from mom at 3 weeks old.
I almost wish I had just come upon Holly's babies when she had hers. Instead I found out a week before she gave birth, and that was pretty much the most stressful week of my life. lol

edit: Some advice I would give you is try to pick Lisa Marie up as much as possible to get her comfortable with the idea that you're not going to eat her. It'll most likely help her be a much calmer guinea pig in the long run.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.