Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Free Coroplast!

Mij and Fippy

Cavy Slave
Just got a cavy, love him so much already, and I really wanna get a C&C cage for him... or actually, to make my own, heh. Well, I was trying to figure out where to get the Coroplast, and happened to mention it to my manager and assistant manager at the Circle K I work at. The asst. manager, Bonnie, actually was the one who convinced me to get a cavy in the first place. Turns out, we get the stuff all the time as part of our promo signs and stuffs... however we can't actually put most of it up because either we don't have the room or it's for cigarettes/alcohol, and since we're like two blocks from an elementary school, that's kinda prohibited.

So they just gave me, completely free, a decent sized sign made from the Coroplast stuff. It's got printing on one side, but is just blank safe white on the other,which is good. =) Granted it's only about 3X5, but still, that'll be a major upgrade from the cage from the pet shop. (sorry, I know I should have gotten a rescued cavy, but I didn't learn that until after he was home! :sad: )

Anyway, if nothing else, I'm pretty sure a bit of ingenuity could be used to piece a few pieces of this Coroplast stuff into a pretty good almost cost free cage! =) Just check out your local Circle K! (I guess almost any grocery or convenience store would work, but I feel obligated to advertise, hehe) We're *constantly* throwing out old signs, and they just get tossed into the dumpster, so if you're nice, I'm sure you could get set up pretty good! :)

Anyway, that's what I wanted to say, heh. Hopefully it helps, and if this has been mentioned already, sorry for the repeat!

-Mij (and Fippy! :) )

Piggy92

Cavy Slave
Thats good. Great Job. Lucky You.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Recycling is always a good thing. Being that I used to work in a store, I know there is a ton of waste. It's also common practice that retailers get charged by the pound to cart that waste away. If you see a coroplast sign in a store and ask the manager, they are almost always likely to let you come the day that promotion is over and take the sign away. Unless there is some super secret information on it, they should be more than happy to lower the cost of their trash pickup by not having to compact signage.

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
You can also use tape to join 2 pieces of coro together. I used the tape that is made to make a waterproof seal when taping plastic moisture barrier together. It's a red colored tape and found in the laminate flooring section of the local home improvement warehouse here.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Gotta love free coroplast! ;)
I waited until the day after November elections, then took my 8 yr old and we went campaign sign snatchin haha! I went down the roads around where I live, and down the one that the voting poll was on this year, and wound up with enough pieces to build a 4 level cage and have some left over.
I noticed yesterday though, that the next county over had a run off election last week, and one of the judges has some signs out that are full 4'X8' sheets! I am thinking very seriously about borrowing the inlaws truck and going to snatch those babies this weekend before they are gone!

Just a little FYI, but what I have found works really well is to lay the coroplast pieces out flat and duct tape them together on one side, then flip them over and run a bead of wood glue down the seams and lay duct tape over that, on the other side.
You have to let it dry a few hours before you can use it, but it makes the pieced together seams a little more sturdy. :)

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Oh my grandpa is a trustee for a township which means tons of coroplast! Everytime I visit his garage I always look for new items to expand my cage, so far we haven't found grids in our area. We live in Ohio and its hard to find them! You have to travel hours to get them usually. So thats why I bought my C&C cage off here. Your idea is great though. I am going to use his signs. I never thought of that! hehe

MilwCavyMom

Cavy Slave
Woohoo! Congrats. Its always nice when people help you out like that.

cavyowner2007

Cavy Slave
Yeah its great when people help you out like that, with ideas on how to make pig life better :]

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.