Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hamster Cages *Pictures* Come and Share Yours Too!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Links to pictures above..

I bought this cage from Petsmart ($37), it is actually a one level bird cage that I turned into a hamster mansion.. The Dimentions are 25in Long, 13in Wide, and 22in tall.. The perfect size..

The blue cage flows very nicely with our under the water/ pirate theme that is going on in our spare/animal room..

*NOTE* I did not add the waterbottle, food, bedding, or hamster until after the picture was taken, although I will be taking more pictures tonight, when my mom goes to work..

If anyone is interested how I made the second level, I would be happy to explain!

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
I would love to know how you made the 2nd level. Is that cardboard? And do hamsters really climb little ladders? Its so cute!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
The second level is actually the wire bottom that came with the cage, attached with cable ties, and covered with vinal tiles (one on top of the other.. sticky part to sticky part..) She doesnt mess with the tiles, and doesnt try and chew them..

The ladders work great, she really loves climbing on them, and even does monkey bars on the pink one!

Shaffy

Cavy Slave
Cute! I would watch out for cage bar chewing though, not only is it annoying but it is also very bad for their teeth. If that starts put some lemon juce or vingar on that cage bars. Also read this.-->(broken link removed)

It's looks great though! i love it if my hamster was still alive i would get one too!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Actually, I have never had a hamster that has chewed bars, probably because they get a lot of different kinds of chews stick/treats that keep them entertained.. Thanks for the link though :D

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Ok, I have a new picture..

Although, Notice everytime I add bedding she moves it all from one side into the corner to make a "sleeping area" She doesnt like walking on the carefresh, only sleeping in it.. weird

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
She can't get the door up? All of my hamsters were escape artisits.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
yes, she would be able to, but I binder clip it down.. so she cant..

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
Here is the new bin cage I made for Bella! I wanted something more elaborate but kind of tight with money right now, so I thought this would be good for a little while :)

She gets to have the upstairs in my furry baby community :), My pigs get to have the downstairs

tishmcc

Cavy Slave
What kind of lid do you have on the bin? I'am trying my best to see it. I really like the cage above really nice, it looks big too.

nismosmama

Cavy Slave
I made the lid out of the bars that came with the old store bought cage :)

tishmcc

Cavy Slave
That's a smart Idea Thank you. I'am going to try that out for my nieces hammy.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
I will be adopting my hamster on Saturday, so I fixed up her cage today.

HPIM1586.jpg

HPIM1587.jpg

HPIM1586.jpg

tishmcc

Cavy Slave
Very nice, but dont forget about a solid wheel.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
Forget to mention the lady I am adopting from is giving me a wheel. I am also ordering some more toys and chin sand off the web.

tishmcc

Cavy Slave
That's really nice of her. :)

Macayle
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

standuprookie

Cavy Slave
I made a lid yesterday so here are the pics. For the lid I used hardware cloth and a wire cutter, it only took about 5 min. to make. This design of lid is great for those without tools or those with tools but want a quick, easy and secure lid.

It may not look secure but it is. This cage cost $16 dollars to make.(9 for the bin and 7 for a roll of hardware cloth) The Wodent Wheel I am ordering cost about the same.lol

wheeker

Cavy Slave
These are all great cages. I just wanted to say that my hamsters died from Carefresh. They ate some and it swelled up inside of then because it's so absorbant. Both of my hamsters died from it. I just wanted to let everyone know this.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Oh, im sorry wheeker.

I recommend carefresh all the time, I have had a bunch hamsters, and none of them ever swallowed the carefresh.

Did they maybe swallow something else? Was there anything else in the cage? Maybe some of the "fuff" bedding? There has been a lot of hamsters that have died (that I know of) from swallowing that..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.