Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Cat-proof bird cage?

kara4

Cavy Slave
So here's my problem: Other than my piggies, I've got a cockatiel, 2 parakeets, and 4 finches (plus a hedgehog and 4 dogs). My mom's cat is going to start living with me in a couple weeks, so I'm building a new cat-proof cage for the piggies, but I have no idea of what to do about the birds. Is there such thing as a cat-proof bird cage? Or is there some other way to keep Meika (the cat) from eating my little winged babies?

I'm very uncertain about the whole thing, because I'm already worried about how my pomeranian is going to react to a cat in the house. Gah! I live in a complete zoo, but I've never had an indoor cat. I've just got to find a way for the birds and Meika to co-exist.

Uh, also, I know this probably sounds really silly, but how do you keep a cat from just...running out the front door when you open it. I mean, my dogs are slower (and therefore easier to catch) than a cat and if the door's open I just tell them "no" and they sit, but wouldn't a cat just take off or something? My indoor cat knowledge is sadly lacking.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I will try to answer all your questions. If I forget something, please let me know. I have a multi-pet home with cats, a dog, birds, guinea pigs, and chinchillas so I will share what has worked for me.

First off, do your birds live in a room that you can close off when you're not home? Like a bedroom or office? If so you can close the door. If not, then I'd pull the cages away from furniture the cat will be on like chairs, the couch, end tables, etc. at least 2-3 feet away. They're less likely to climb up an actual cage but they love to watch birds at eye level. This makes the birds more vunerable. Make sure all your birds are up off the floor on stands and isolated from kitty perching places. If she should ever become fixated on your birds or attempt to climb a cage, chase her off immediately or spray her with a water bottle. She needs to learn right away the birds are off-limits. She may learn right away or it may take months of reinforcement depending on her instinctual drive.

Next, is Meika the cat used to dogs at all? This will determine how fast you can introduce her into the "pack." If she is totally freaked out (which she probably will be) then you might keep her shut in your bedroom for a week or so, with her own food, water, and litterbox. This will allow her to hear, smell, and interact with your pom and other dogs without direct contact. It will serve as her safe place. You must teach your dogs that Meika is not to be messed with from the very start. They must respect the cats' space at all times and must not chase or bark at her. This kind of behavior makes the cat feel insecure and threatened. At the most basic level, your cat must become "dominant" over your pack of dogs for peaceable coexistence. My cats are dominant over my dog, who is a 90 lb. Golden Retriever, they are the boss of him - not the other way around.

Finally once you set up initial respect and boundaries, your cat will start exploring more. This leads me to your third question. To keep your cat from dashing outdoors, never leave the front door open even when you're unloading groceries or moving furniture, or whatever. When you go to leave, if Meika is hovering around the opening, use your leg to push her back and then proceed out the door. Make sure it closes firmly behind you. Cats are slick but you can keep them inside easily enough. They're not THAT bright. LOL :love: Hope this helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.