Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Meet baby girls Guinness and Corona!

Guinness&Corona

Cavy Slave
I found these sweeties in the hallway of my apartment building this morning. They were just sitting there in their (store bought) cage, and their "owner" ( also a senior in college like myself) said she was "hoping someone will take them because they're just not as much fun as I thought they would be." I couldn't just leave them to an unknown, miserable fate like that, so now they live with me. I've only had them a few hours but I love them already! The cage that they're in is way too small, but I've got a 2x5 in progress that will be finished Monday. They aren't eating much, but they nibbled some lettuce and peed twice each in my lap, so I know they're taking in water! She was only feeding them pellets and hay, so they've never had vegetables before. I was thrilled to see them eat the lettuce. We're going to the vet on Monday morning for a check-up. Guinness is the tortishell and Corona is the white/brown. The girls are a bit camera shy, so the pigtures aren't great, but I will post more as we get adjusted to our new lives together.

Much love to the membership, both human and cavy,

Kathleen, Corona and Guinness
Memphis, Tennessee

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/KathleenCoffee/100_0564.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/KathleenCoffee/100_0562.jpg

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
They are adorable! Congrats! That's fabulous you took them in and they will have a great home now. You sound like you've really done your research, you're doing everything right so far.

mkkayla

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm in Memphis, too! Which college are you at? Please let me know if you need help with anything. Thanks for rescuing them, they are darling!

Tulip

Cavy Slave
Awww!!! They're so cute! I'm glad you found them before someone else did!

Guinness&Corona

Cavy Slave
Good evening all,

Thank you for the kind words of welcome! I've always wanted a guinea as a pet, but my parents would never agree because the only ones we knew of were in pet stores, and my parents don't support buying "designer pets" or animals from stores. Until yesterday afternoon, we never knew that there was a guinea pig rescue in Memphis. After growing up in a pro-rescue family, I couldn't bear the thought of buying from a store, so I was very pleased to find these girls available for adoption.

We had a menagerie (cats, dogs, fish, ferrets & sugar gliders) throughout my childhood, and nearly all of them were previously neglected rescues, so I'm pretty used to doing "emergency research" and making fast arrangements to set up for new furbabies. I am a senior at the University of Tennessee, but I'm paying my own way through and have to take some time off to work and earn tuition money.

Guinness and Corona are adapting nicely to their new home! They seem to have spent the day kicking all the litter out on to the floor. Maybe it's their "subtle" way of asking for more space? I'll be really glad to get the coroplast in the C&C cage (Monday, if I can borrow my uncle's car to transport it), to save myself vacuuming every day. Guinness likes to hide and play in the pigloo, and Corona is loving the fleecy-cup thing.

Guinness ate half a cherry tomato this morning. All the hay I put in last night is gone, and one of the water bottles was empty this morning, so I know they're eating pretty well. The pellets looked untouched, except for a lot of litter and some droppings. I don't know if they were kicked in with the litter, or if the girls are trying to tell me that they don't like their food. :) I will elevate the bowl tonight to keep the pellets cleaner.

The temporary cage is floor level, and I think the vibrations from my walking around really scare them. Every time I go in to check on them, they run and hide. I was reaching in to clean it, but I stopped because it was scaring them so badly. They were shaking so hard they looked epileptic. My hand must look like a predator bird to them. They seem to like having people close by, and once they get over the sudden movement of being picked up, they like it OK, especially if my mother is holding them. She has a great way with animals, especially strays.

Have a great night everyone!

Kathleen, Guinness & Corona

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
It sounds like they are adjusting well. It's great of you to take them in, they are quite lucky.

little_russian

Cavy Slave
That is so wonderful that you were able to take them in - it sounds like that got themselves an awesome owner too - you seem to have great knowledge of pet care - that's great. Your piggies are very lucky!
P.S. Good luck with school - I know how that goes, I'm a senior too, only on the other coast UW.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome! You are going to fit RIGHT in around here :).

It's really unbelievable how awful some people are with their pets. I'm sure you are going to bring those pigs around and see just how much fun they will be.

mkkayla

Cavy Slave
Ok I am confused. Did you FIND them in the hallway or did you ADOPT them from a rescue? Your first post said you found them, your second post said you adopted them. There is a gp rescue in Memphis on Petfinder, but she's really not taking in any more animals; although she sometimes courtesy lists for others.

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
She found them in the hallway, talked to the owner AND adopted them.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Welcome Guinness&Corrona!

How sad for someone to 'throw out' two gorgeous guineas - but how fortunate that it was you who found them!

Look forward to hearing all about them, and seeing more pigtures!

Guinness&Corona

Cavy Slave
I don't mean to be confusing. Whenever my parents take in unwanted animals, they always call them "adoptions" even if the animals don't come from shelters/rescues.

I found the girls in the hallway of my apartment building. I paid their last owner a courtesy stipend to cover what she paid for them and their basic supplies. I would call this a private adoption, but I could be using the wrong word. Is there another word for it?

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't worry about the wording G&C - I think 'kindness' covers it!

Guinness&Corona

Cavy Slave
more pigtures:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/KathleenCoffee/100_0576.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/KathleenCoffee/100_0577.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/KathleenCoffee/100_0578.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/KathleenCoffee/100_0579.jpg

I didn't budget for Guinea pig toys this week, so I'm recycling Coke boxes for use as hidey-holes until I get paid again. I bought one igloo, but with 2+ to hide in, the girls can play chase and hide and seek! They're quick, so it's hard to get good pictures, but these aren't bad.

Last edited:

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Aww, they're both so cute!

mkkayla

Cavy Slave
You definately adopted/rescued them. I was just confused when you talked about the guinea pig rescue in Memphis like perhaps you had adopted them from her. They look very happy. Thanks for helping them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.