Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My Future Cage

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
*happy dance*

So today my mother and I picked up all the grids, (80 of them) and I quickly set about building an example cage, and testing out different designs (gee, do you think I'm at all excited about this?)

So after 3 hours, and many many expletives this is what I came up with this

cage004.jpg

it's a 2x5 grid cage, on a base, in total it uses 40 grids. You can see how I've covered either end with grids as well, one end (1x2 grid) will be a kitchen area, and the other end will have pigloos, and whilst it's unlikely I don't want to give them any chance of escaping. At the bottom (the corners) is where their fleece and towels will be stored, whilst the more open area will be where spare shavings and hay will be stored. In my first version the stand was like this
_
|
|_

But it just didn't have the neccesary support, especially in the centre, so change it to this
_
|_
|

and found that it could support a lot more weight, in fact I put a sack of potatoes (5kgs) in the centre and it barely moved.

I do have one question however, this cage is 2x5 grids but is 180cm or 6 foot in length. Each grid is 35cm. On the front page it says a 2x5 grid cage is 76cmX157. 5 (grids) x 35cm = 175cm. Taking into account the connector spaces, means that it is 180cm long. Why is this so? (Australian's might get that joke...)

Some more photos
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/VanDiemins/cage/cage001.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/VanDiemins/cage/cage002.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/VanDiemins/cage/cage003.jpg

Even though its a year until my babies can live in here, I'm really excited about it, I'm commisioning my grandmother to make cozies for me for Christmas and my Birthday, and I'm going to be asking for nothing but money from the rest of my relatives for those as well, so that I can buy the fleece and corflute.

Anyway, just wanted to share my happiness, and now I'm off to dismantle the cage *sobs*.

Last edited:

Ragous

Cavy Slave
Wow that cage looks great.....I can feel your pain with having to take it all down! When I first got my cubes I did the same thing set up a cage and then sit back to look and dream and then I would think of something different and then change it all over again! By the end of the night my hands were sore from connecting all the pieces over and over again.

Your future piggies are gonna love it!!

SMORESBOSS

Cavy Slave
Hey just wondering what kind of piggies are you getting and how many??
Hey not to be mean or anything but the middle looks a little wobbley:important check it before you put the pigs in it......:)

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
The cage is pretty stable actually, but I did a practice of my boys 2x4 cage, and put grids on the ground along the centre, and that made it more stable. I took photos of it, but I've misplaced my camera.

I actually already have guinea pigs, 5 of them, they live in two hutches just outside our meals area under a rain proof pergola. Only time they hutch got wet was when dad broke a sprinkler head when he mowed over it.

I would dearly love for my babies to come inside now, but I've had many a talk (which often escalated into full blown fight) with my dad, and he refuses to allow them inside in this house.

We are moving in a years time, and they will be living in the bedroom next to mine, my mum designed this house, and put that extra room in specially for my pigs, it's going to have lino on the floor, so that dad can't complain about hay and poop getting into the carpet, and since it's at the back of the house, he will neither smell them or hear them.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v715/VanDiemins/cage/house001.jpg

That's the house plan, with my room and my pigs room marked on it. We actually bought the land yesterday, so I've been bouncing off the walls with joy knowing that my babies will soon have the life they deserve.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Wow - that looks like an amzing house - and your pigs are going to have their own room? Is there going to be a door leading from your room through, or is it open plan?

I don't know how you will contain your self between now and the move!!!

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
The door to "Pig Room" will not be closed at any time, except for when we have visitors with little kids, which will not be very often, since we don't know anyone with little kids.

I've already bought a bean bag for the "Pig Room", and since we will have wireless internet, I can sit in there with them.

We were going to put them in Bedroom 2 (next to the kitchen) but Dad complained about it being too close to the living areas (and being that it has taken 5 months of badgering to get Dad to let them live inside, we took what we can get), we moved it to the room next to mine, which is closer to the laundry and to my room, which means that I don't have to drag hay and bedding through the house to take it outside. It also means I can sneak in there at night and spend time with them without anyone knowing.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.