PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit of a different color

VoodooJoint
11-20-06, 02:11 pm
Tchoupitoulas is changing color. I have never had a Himi or California (or whatever he is) before so I don't know if this is normal.

The weather here has finally started to turn cold and he is shedding and I guess growing in his winter coat. As his new hair comes in it is much darker then he was. He used to have tan points. Now he has charcoal gray/black points. While his ears and nose have changed his tail is just now starting to show a spot of darker color. I assume it will change too once his shedding pattern gets to his tail.

I guess my question is whether or not this is a normal color change or not?

My other rabbit came to me in pretty awful shape and I thought he was a brown dutch until he got healthy, went through a shed and his new coat came in jet black. I'm wondering if perhaps Tchoup's improved diet is resulting in his color changing as well or if it's just a thing with himis/calis.

Solebomber
11-20-06, 03:39 pm
The Himayalan is a tempature sensitive color , prolonged cooler temps result in darker markings and can make the nose marking bigger too. Heat has the opposite effect. So yes that's Normal.

smartorl
11-20-06, 06:34 pm
Pointed rabbits often experience subtle color changes in the seasons. A portion of it could also be related to the improved conditions. I have fostered rabbits that I thought were white only to have points start to show once they shed their yucky coats. They can really fool you sometimes.

bunnydude
11-22-06, 08:31 pm
I've certainly heard of it happening, though my two rabbits have never actually changed colors. However, I think some of Devon's black spots have gotten bigger and changed shape since he was a baby (we took him home from the shelter when he was just three months old; he's now a year and seven months old).