PDA

View Full Version : Cage in process, questions.

hydrohoki
11-19-06, 08:37 pm
Hi everyone.

I'm adopting 2 piggies in a month and a half or so (hopefully). It will be longer than that if I can't find piggies I want right away. I have my cage beginning to take shape. I have lots of questions.

Here's the current state: http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/506/Pig0001.JPG

It's currently a 3x2 with a 1x2 loft. I'm going to use plexiglass (clear on the sides opaque on the bottom) like ya'll use cloroplast. I'm going to also use opaque to cover the grids near the window to cut down on the impact. I live in a very mild climate where temperature doesn't get real cold or hot and we never see the sun. There is no draft there. I'm trying to figure out how to make it bigger but I live in a very small apartment. I can vacumn the entire place without unplugging the vacumn if that give you an idea of the size. However, when I'm home they can have run of the place. So enough rambling, questions.

1. I want to give them as much space to run in the cage. Could I put the food, water bottle, hayrack, and litter box (not completed yet) in the loft?
2. Should I make the loft a 3 grid size to give them a little more space?
3. The water bottles still need to be attached. I read about velcro. Does anyone use this sucessfully or does anyone have another idea?
4. Any other suggestions are welcome (ramp and wooden hidey houses are being made for me by my dad and I'll hopefully get them from him when I see him at Thanksgiving or Christmas).

this_lil_piggy
11-20-06, 01:59 am
The answer really depends on what pigs you get. You can get by with a 2x3 for two female pigs provided they get along, but it wouldn't really be enough space for 2 males--they are just too dominant and "personal space"oriented for a 2x3. If you want to make it bigger, you could make the 2nd floor the same size as the bottom floor --2x3, and then just make doors for the bottom level so you will have access to it. (for doors attach 1 or 2 of the grids on the front with zipties on one side and leave off the connectors. )

hydrohoki
11-20-06, 06:36 pm
Thanks! I'm thinking I'll end up with boys so I'm working on a redesign to add space. I'll update soon.

Is it ok to put the food upstairs?

this_lil_piggy
11-21-06, 02:48 am
Once your piggers learn to use the ramps, food upstairs should be fine.

JarBax
11-21-06, 12:50 pm
If you're planning on making the loft bigger, then definitely put the food upstairs. If you're getting boys, it might be an idea to put veggies upstairs and down, and have a water bottle, and pellets both up and down too. The bigger the space you can create, the better.

What impact are you avoiding by putting the opaque plexiglass on the grids by the window?

I imagine velcro will work well to attach waterbottles. I use garden wire - which works for me. I suppose you could even use string temporarily, if you were stuck for anything else.

Look forward to updates!

cookie_gal
11-21-06, 01:03 pm
Hi there

I would definatly extend the loft by two more grids for putting food up there.

If you are getting males possibly then its certainly a good idea to put 2 bottles and cuddle cups as you have done.

One idea for making more space, you could potentially extend the base of the cage to 3 grids long just on the window side to get a sort a L shape. Of course I don't know the layout of your room but as its small as you say, then this would give a little bit of extra space if you felt you wanted to do this? Every little helps! Just an idea anyway.

Slave to the Wheek
11-21-06, 02:14 pm
LOVE the plexi glass idea, but, be careful it might be a bit heavy. You MUST use zip ties to secure it, or you will regret it. Do you know what they are? Very cheap, easy to find, and are the only way to make cages sturdy enough to have long term viability. Use them on every single connector. Go to my photo gallery if you want to see how they can be used. Don't forget to put them on the floor grids as well. You'll especially need them for the weight of the plexi glass. Cages that aren't secured with zip ties fall apart easily when moving to vacuum under them etc.

Um..I also wonder where the ramp is? Pigs falling/jumping that distance can break legs and get internal injuries..

Water bottles: Just take an extra long zip tie and make a loose noose around two cage squares on the grids. I just left my bottle in place where I wanted it and put the zip tie loose enough to pull it out, but tight enough to keep in place. The bottle can be slid from below and twisted to put the spout into the cage. I love mine. They NEVER fall off, I can even move cage from room to room, and bump it hard. Just be sure to go over 2 squares, or it will wobble from side to side. Make sure the bottle is place in a location where it's out of YOUR way too. I kept reaching over mine until one day I realized I just needed to move it to the rear or side of the cage.

Have you considered a 3x3? Looks like you might could pull off from the photo.

Hmm..can't think of anything else to add. Looks like a great cage is in the works though!

hydrohoki
11-22-06, 12:45 am
Oh great advice.

Let me try to address things. Opaque plexiglass would help cut out sunlight at least that was my question.

I haven't made the ramp yet. I'm sure I'll check it with y'all first.

I've been playing with making a part 3 across and putting the food area in there, would a grid be too small for the food dish and such?

I've got a few ideas for the second story. I will try them soon.

Plexiglass just seems easier to clean to me. It's more durable. I've also done a lot of work with it (making turtle platforms and such) in the past.

Ok I know there is more but I just got off 16 hours of work in the rain. Thanks so much for all the help so far. I'll read this again in the morning when I might retain a bit. Goodnight!