Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Looking to adopt a GP in Ottawa, Ontario

sandra

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have a 2 year old female Guinea Pig and am looking to get her a friend. It must be a female, age and breed do not matter. My piggy is in a big cage (5fX4f) and there is lots of room for another piggy. If you are in the Ottawa, Ontario area and you have a nice GP to give, please contact me. Thanks!

sandra

Cavy Slave
Thank you, I already looked there and they dont have any females GP in my area, thanks for your help!

riizu

Cavy Slave
Hi, that was my post that was linked to; I was able to find someone giving a piggy away on kijiji.com you could also try usedottawa.com, or give the Ottawa Humane Society a call too, since they may have piggies as well.

sandra

Cavy Slave
Hi, I appreciate everyones help!!! :heart: But unfortunately those are all places that I have already looked. I've even went to send a email to the Toronto and Kingston Humane, hoping that someone there might be travelling to my area and bringing me one of they gorgeous female GP. At the Humane here in Ottawa they only have male GP. I have my eye on Kijiji for new ads. I'm not giving up... the right GP will come along sooner or later.... (hope its sooner than later :p )

riizu

Cavy Slave
My last ditch effort was going to be the rescue in Laval, since I was having a lot of trouble finding in the area. If I come accross any ads, I'll send them your way. I think I was pretty lucky.:eek:

sandra

Cavy Slave
My last ditch effort was going to be the rescue in Laval, since I was having a lot of trouble finding in the area. If I come accross any ads, I'll send them your way. I think I was pretty lucky.:eek:

Great idea!!! I'll be visiting my parents in Laval next weekend... Thanks a bunch!!! lol

riizu

Cavy Slave
That's fantastic! *laughs* Let us know how it goes!lol

Coiler

Cavy Slave
Hi Rizzu, I'm from Montreal and I have a femelle GP bord on november 02 ready to go. When I finish work I'll seend pics of her. And for anyone else interested I also have her brother that needs a good home.

Coiler

Cavy Slave
Sorry Rizzu I wrote the wrong name it was supposed to be Sandra's name there.

riizu

Cavy Slave
No problem ^__^

sandra

Cavy Slave
I thought I'd have today the female gp I wanted for a while now. But the Ottawa Humane Society refused letting me adopt. Reason?! Because I have a 9 year old female cat that is not fixed. Is it me or that is just the most ridicules thing you've heard?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I thought I'd have today the female gp I wanted for a while now. But the Ottawa Humane Society refused letting me adopt. Reason?! Because I have a 9 year old female cat that is not fixed. Is it me or that is just the most ridicules thing you've heard?
I already addressed it in your other post but I personally do not find it ridiculous. I find it very responsible of the SPCA.

sandra

Cavy Slave
I respect 'your' opinion. But here is my point of view, why keep a pet at the shelter, keeping that pet from having attention, keep that pet from having a forever home, keep that pet from living better in a big cage (5f X4f)?! My cat is 9 years old, she never sneaked out of the house and her interested in going out are pretty low if non existing! If I had a un-fixed male GP then yes I'd say that the OHS are right but sorry the cat thing is ridicules to me. And if I may ask, if I buy from a breeder isnt it encouraging them to make GP breed? Isnt a 'real' over population problem? If I buy from a pet shop is same story right? So why not them let me save a poor animal in need of love and a forever home? So basicly killing a pet that they cant place in a good home is better then having a gp in a house with a un-fixed female cat?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
why keep a pet at the shelter, keeping that pet from having attention, keep that pet from having a forever home, keep that pet from living better in a big cage (5f X4f)?!
To keep it from being bred.

My cat is 9 years old, she never sneaked out of the house and her interested in going out are pretty low if non existing! If I had a un-fixed male GP then yes I'd say that the OHS are right but sorry the cat thing is ridicules to me.
So? your cat is 9 years old. She is still unspayed. What is the difference between a male and female unspayed animal? I'm assuming you mean that a male is more likely to roam. well, that male could *roam* right through an open window or door and get to your female.

And if I may ask, if I buy from a breeder isnt it encouraging them to make GP breed? Isnt a 'real' over population problem? If I buy from a pet shop is same story right?
Actually quite a bulk of the overpopulation problem comes from pet homes that do not spay/neuter their animals.

So why not them let me save a poor animal in need of love and a forever home? So basicly killing a pet that they cant place in a good home is better then having a gp in a house with a un-fixed female cat?
It's not about the cat. It's not about the guinea pig. It is about you. The fact is that no matter what you say you do not take the animal overpopulation problem seriously enough to have your cat spayed. The SPCA has to assume that someone like you may in the future get an unneutered male GP. They are not willing to take a risk with you, no matter how nice of a cage you have or how well/responsibly you care for your animals. The SPCA cannot make exceptions.

sandra

Cavy Slave
I think you are judging me way too fast. And you dont seem to get it. Its NOT about anything you've said. She said health reasons. And I just called 2 vets and they were both extremely surprised at the OHS's decision. My 9 year old female cat may be un-fixed but I take good care of my pets. None of my pets ever got litters!!! I think you are just to prove a point that is not there. What you are saying makes less sense that what the OHS told me. lol. Beside if it was because they thought I was irresponsible they would of told so. I was made myself really clean on the message. It was about health issues and I wanted to have other's opinion on that only. But you are going way off subject now.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
They aren't telling you the entire story as to why they won't adopt to you. That is why I explained all the reasons why.

Like I said, my SPCA and myself, have the same policies, for all the reasons I stated.

Even if it was just for health reasons that would be enough. Spayed/neutered animals have many diseases and health problems reduced or impossible by spaying/neutering.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.