Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Herbert just died 3:15 pm

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
hi guys

my guinea pig herbert just died i came home nd my mom said he was sick so i went to see him and he was laying there shaking and sqeaking nd she said not to touch him cuz he might be in pain nd then about a minute later he stopped moving. i wanted to see if he was dead so i put my hand by him nd he didn't move i petted him and no response nd he wasnt breathing he was dead :-( it was soo sad lookin at him laying there all motionless after a little while

DnLnEsMom

Cavy Slave
so sorry for your loss

brittybrat

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry!
Try and look on the bright side though...if he was in pain, its all over now.
I am very sorry!

<3 brittany

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
Sorry I didn't use proper grammer and font but I was just so distressed. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with loss? I know you guys all said you feel bad and hope I feel better, but I still feel really bad. Of course I would, since it only happened today, but still. We buried him in the backyard. I picked a nice spot between two bushes and put rocks on top. But, its just so sudden. I still can't really grasp the concept that he's really dead. :sad: I had so many good times with him and people say remember the good times, but that makes me more sad. My mom said to do something to take my mind off it, but I don't want to. I want to think about him. Its too soon to move on. If I died I wouln't want people to move on so suddenly. But anyway, we are going to plant flowers on the grave in the spring, which I think will be helpful, but I don't know what to do now. I still have my other pig, Henry who is Herbert's brother. He is a lot more scared and he's going to be lonely now. If I get another male, they'd fight and with a female they'd breed. I need some help on how to deal with this and how to help Henry. Please.:melodrama

Lyndsay

Cavy Slave
One day at a time, take things in small strides, and make sure you spend lots of time with your other piggy. Don't move on untill you want to, write a poem, story, or make a list of all the good things you remember, that way when your feeling down about it, you can read your list, and make yourself smile. Don't forget to grieve about it, don't move on because someone else said you should, do it on your own time, so that you are ready to move on when it happens. Be strong, and calm yourself before you worry about bringing another piggy into the picture.

I'm sorry for your loss, things will get better, just don't forget to cry about it, and let those feelings out, it's hard loosing a pet, because they arn't just animals to us. He had a great life with you, and passed a happy piggy. *hugs*

young_mommy17

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's gonna be tough, and your going to miss him of course, but he's waiting by Rainbow Bridge for you. You'll see each other again, and you won't even remember the pain of losing each other. That's what helped me after losing my girls, just the thought that someday I will see them again!

Trega

Cavy Slave
Of course it's going to be hard for a while to feel better for the loss of your guinea pig. Like you said you had many good memories with him and I'm sure that Herbert wherever he is now remembers how good you were to him. Comfort your other piggie because I'm sure he is mourning the loss as well.

Lots of love your way!

GuineaFood

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Sorry I didn't use proper grammer and font but I was just so distressed. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with loss? I know you guys all said you feel bad and hope I feel better, but I still feel really bad. Of course I would, since it only happened today, but still. We buried him in the backyard. I picked a nice spot between two bushes and put rocks on top. But, its just so sudden. I still can't really grasp the concept that he's really dead. :sad: I had so many good times with him and people say remember the good times, but that makes me more sad. My mom said to do something to take my mind off it, but I don't want to. I want to think about him. Its too soon to move on. If I died I wouln't want people to move on so suddenly. But anyway, we are going to plant flowers on the grave in the spring, which I think will be helpful, but I don't know what to do now. I still have my other pig, Henry who is Herbert's brother. He is a lot more scared and he's going to be lonely now. If I get another male, they'd fight and with a female they'd breed. I need some help on how to deal with this and how to help Henry. Please.:melodrama
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss, and in such a traumatic way, that's not a nice way for any animal to pass, but take comfort from the knowledge that he is no longer in pain. As others have said, don't move on until you're ready to, but at the same time, don't wallow in grief, as that is as unhealthy as moving on suddenly. Have you ever experienced death before? (family member, etc) Ask your parents for their advice on how to come to terms with your feelings, I'm sure they'll be able to help.
With regards to Henry, he will indeed likely miss his brother, so he'll need extra re-assurance from you, but should be able to accept a newcomer in about a fortnight. As for company, I'd recommend getting a younger male guinea, so Henry can adopt the role of parent, and having a guinea friend will stop him being lonely (a paired guinea that loses it's partner will be more lonely than a single guinea who has always lived alone) I saw a notice yesterday about 50 guineas rescued in the pbg (pitsburgh?) area who are in need of re-homing, and who transport has been arranged to NJ, Ohio and another state. If you'd be interested, I'll pass on the necessary information.
Sorry again for your loss.

Tulip

Cavy Slave
Oh my! I'm so sorry for your loss ~ especially so suddenly! Take comfort and spend lots of time with your other little guy until you decide what to do. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
Thanks a lot guys. I've been thinking and right now I think I need to find out how he died to help me with this. I'll give the symptoms my mom told me he had and if anyone knows what that might have been, please tell me. It could have just been old age, since he was five, but I don't know. Okay. So she said in the morning he was okay, but just looked a little tired. Then around lunch time she came down and he was running around the cage trying to get into the corner and his balance was off. He was screaming really loud and she thought he was in pain. Then he layed down by his pigloo and was squeaking and shaking. That's all I saw when I got home, just him shaking and squeaking. Then about a minute after I got in, he stopped moving. We left him for a few minutes, because I didn't know if he was dead or not. Then I put my hand in and he didn't respond. We knew he was dead. Now, my mom says it sounds like poisoning, but how could he have been poisioned? That was just the idea she got from his symptoms. We know something was wrong though, because online it said trying to get into the corner is a sign of serious illness. He was supposed to go to the vet, but my mom thinks he would have been put down anyway. So, does anyone know what happened? I really think knowing will ease the pain.:eek:ptimist:

GuineaFood

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
If that was a human, I'd think they either had a stroke, or severe seizure of some kind, due to the loss of balance and shaking.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
All we could really do for you is guess, but it does sound like some sort of seizure. The only way for you to know for sure would be to take Herbert to the vet now and have a necroscopy done to establish the cause of death, but I know you said you already buried him.

My condolences on your loss. Let yourself grieve however you feel comfortable and for however long you need to. I know how difficult losing a friend can be.

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
I know you all say he's in a better place over the rainbow bridge, but the truth is that I just don't know if i believe that. I don't want to get into relgion or anything, but I'm just not sure of my beleifs. :sad: I just miss him and wanted to say goodbye. I didn't get the chance.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Whatever you choose to believe, unfortunately, there is no way to go back in time. Dwelling on the fact that you didn't get to say goodbye can only serve to make you feel even worse. Religion or not, thinking about or talking about happy memories with family and friends, writing about your feelings in a journal, or making a scrapbook of favorite pictures of Herbert will help you grieve.

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
I lost a pig to similar symptoms. We thought it might have been a heart attack. Whatever it was, it doesn't sound like there was anything you could have done.

Death is never easy, and it will hurt for a while. But time will heal the pain, and eventually you'll just be left with fond memories. Spend extra time with Henry...you need each other. (((hugs)))

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys soo much. I feel a lot better. I visited Herbert's grave today and it wasn't even that sad. I think I'm going to be okay. Thanks! :eek:ptimist:

tomcat6

Cavy Slave
Thanks again, but now theres the issue of Henry. I love him just the same as Herbert, but we are not as close. I am hoping we will become though because I have been spending extra time with him. But, I fear since they were born the same time, that he might die soon too. I don't want to just get over Herbert and then have to do it all over again. I know I can't stop it from happening and I still need to spend time with him, but it really scares me. And also, I keep thinking about Henry in his little pigloo all alone. Before, when I came to pet the pigs, since Henry was more shy, he's hide next to Herbert and they'd trill together. Now he's alone. I sort of want a new pig, but not right now. But Henry needs company. But, my mom said it will be a never ending cycle, because when he dies, the other pig will be lonley then. :sad: And we'll have to get another and so on and so forth. But, I feel really bad for Henry even though I am spending time with him. Also, if I get another boy they will fight and another girl will breed so I don't know what to do. :crackup:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Another boy will not necessarily fight with him, and a lot of rescues and shelters have girls that have been spayed, so the breeding wouldn't be an issue.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I empathise with your position completely. I remember how dreadful I felt after losing Midge, and so worried about Mary left on her own.

In no way did Marble replace Midge, but she certainly helped me 'get over' the awful loss I felt. She brought a fresh, new life into the house again, and Mary had a companion again!

As Percy's Mum said, another boy will not necessarily fight with Henry. A younger boar is less likely to pose a threat to his dominancy.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.