Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

poop question???

DnLnEsMom

Cavy Slave
Does your piggy eat his/her poop? I was just watching Joey (I cleaned her cage and what not) and she got in her litter box and pooped and then turned around and ate it! YUK

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
That is perfectly normal and actually good for them. Because their metabolism is so fast many times their bodies do not get all of the "good stuff" the first time around. Also it keeps their flora in their stomach healthy. It maybe a bit gross, but truly it is very good for her and all healthy pigs eat their poop.

DnLnEsMom

Cavy Slave
ok... thanks, I had just never noticed her doing that before!

I just cleaned her cage and put in the litter box, and a matress pad covered by an old recieving blanket instead of two bags of care fresh. I thought I might have freaked her out a bit!

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
I was reading around and apparently hamsters and bunnies do this too! Of course I've never noticed when a hamster poops, but sometimes bunny will poop and then eat it, although sometimes I see him like as if he were sucking on a hard candy and he'll start sort of spitting very wet poops. Truly disgusting, because he loves to lick my face. I not sure if it's a tendency with all rodents, though.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Even if their digestive tracts weren't fast they don't get all the nutrients the first time. Certain bacteria needed to make certain vitamins exist after the point that this vitamin can be absorbed into the body. Herbivores that don't eat any other animal products have no source for these types of vitamins unless they make it themselves. All have evolved special ways to do that. The cecum is one way that helps or a cow having multiple stomachs and chewing their cud. Reingesting the vitamins after they've left the body is a common way and you'll also see other critters doing that especially those related to guinea pigs.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
My dog used to eat cow poop. Now there's a disgusting one for the record books HAHA. She was a shihtzu with really long hair and a practically flat face, so she would wander around out back and come back with her feet and face covered in poop *urgh* prancing as if she'd done something really great.....yeah, drive her mom mad with bath after bath after bath, and teeth cleaning dog biscuits. Blech!

fashion victim

Cavy Slave
My dog used to eat cow poop. Now there's a disgusting one for the record books HAHA. She was a shihtzu with really long hair and a practically flat face, so she would wander around out back and come back with her feet and face covered in poop *urgh* prancing as if she'd done something really great.....yeah, drive her mom mad with bath after bath after bath, and teeth cleaning dog biscuits. Blech!

Wow that's funny and yet totally disgusting. Hilarious how pleased they look after they eat up. My dog occasionally eats her poop but with dogs that's dangerous, not like with those animals who produce the cecum, which is ok for them [the animals who produce that type of poop] to eat.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.