Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Stupid Idea?

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
My mother in law found me some grids at a yard sale, and I went and collected political signs off the road this weekend, so I started on a cage redesign yesterday.
What I orginally had was (2) 2 x 4's stacked on top of each other. The sows had one level and the boars had the other level. Since the baby boars are getting older, and I want to provide them space to get away from each other, I wanted to add a little more space plus a 2nd level for each group (boys and girls). a 2x 6 proved impossible to fit in my living room.
What I have in the works is 2 levels that are 2 X 3 each for the boys, and the same for the girls. (a 4 level cage) I thought they were losing a grid in length since the original cage was 4 grids long, but since the new grids are a good bit larger than the grids I had, the 3 grid cage is actually only 6" shorter than the 4 grid.
My problem is after I got 2 levels of the new cage built last night, my husband started fussing. He says it was stupid to shorten the cage. :weepy:

Before I finish this cage today, I would like to know what you all think.
I know technically lofts dont count as floor space, but since the "loft" is actually a full size 2nd floor........?
I was thinking I could put 2 hidey houses on each floor, along with a hay rack, so that the boys have room to divide out from each other, and still have plenty of room to run and romp.
Right now there are 4 boars, but 3 are babies and one will not be here permanently--he is a foster. If he doesnt adopt out soon, he is going to have to go into a cage of his own because he is beginning to show quite a bit of aggression with the others.

Will (2) 2x3 levels be enough for 3 boars?

I have 7 sows and their current cage is technically an L shaped 2x6 main level with a full 2x5 loft. I can't fit anything larger than a 2x5 in length in my living room. According to the main page a 2x6 will fit 4 boars or sows (you can get away with 5 sows in a 2x6 if they get along well) so most may say my cage is not large enough.

But I had talked with T about this before I built the cage and since I have a full 2x5 upper level, I can get by with it.

In your case with the boars, is their anyway you could do their main level a 2x4 since boars are more territorial than sows? Then you could do a 2x3 loft for them and then go on up with 2 more 2x3's for the sows. If not you may be able to get by with a double 2x3 if the grids are larger than your previous ones. But if there is any fighting or aggression, the cage will need to be a bit larger.

In a large cage I think a full 2nd level could count for something but with anything smaller than 2x4 I don't think that's true at all. They just don't have the space to run on any level. I would make at least 1 level of the cage or cages at least equivalent to the usual 2x4 or 10.5sq ft before counting a 2nd level as anything.

My major problem is because the new grids are so much larger than the originals. Because there is so much difference in the size, I cant use a mixture of both kinds--I can make it work with the walls, but the height is another story....they arent tall enough to attach to the upper level.
My original grids I had were bought on ebay and they are much smaller. I think the new grids would be the same size as the ones sold at walmart (these say they were bought at kmart). What I am thinking about doing is getting by with the 2x3's until I can order (in about a week or two) some more new grids from walmart that are the same size, and then I can add on. The great thing about CC is I can add another grid or two in length pretty easily without having to disassemble more than a few grids/zip ties of the cage. I agree with you that I probably can get by with what Im doing now, but that a little more is better. I want them to have plenty of romping room, or it defeats the purpose of redesigning.
I was really irked because the cage I had drawn out and planned on was going to be 2x7 with a 2 x7 loft. I was going to divide out 2x3 of both levels for the sows, and 2x4 of both levels for the boars, that way they could socialize through the bars. No matter how I arranged my living space though, it was not going to fit short of selling my couch--that would make hubby really happy HA! I *could* put them in a room of their own and build what size I want, but I don't really want to do that. I like having them in the active part of the house so we can socialize with them, and I can watch over them.

I think everyone will be fine until I can get some more grids in. All the boars actually get along fabulously, but the very youngest one of all is starting to push the others' buttons. I've noticed him in the last few days trying to nip at everyone--luckily the others must know he's just a baby brat so they pretty much shrug him off and continue on with that they are doing. I can't imagine they will continue to put up with him as he gets older though.

Thanks for yall's thoughts on the matter. :)
Tina

Could you post the actual dimensions of the old and new grids?

Old grids are 13 3/4 "
New Grids are 15"

Pic attached

Last edited:
The difference in your grids is strange... but if you had to, you could always chop off part of the new ones to make the about the same size...?

Oh great, so if I order the Walmart ones, they arent going to match up either *sigh* I may have to find a kmart and see if I can acquire any more of the 15" size. If not, I guess I'll go back to ebay and get some more of the smaller ones.
I dont really want to cut the grids to make them match, since Im going up 4 levels I dont want to goof up the integrity of the grids.

None of the pigs can fit through the grids...thats the very first thing they tried HAHA

Half grids are quite sturdy. I've used them plenty of times. Problem is they are a pain to file down after cut. I used a grinding wheel and still couldn't get the ends from being sharp enough to not at least leave scratches on my hands.

The ones your measuring at 13 3/4 are probably the standard size while the 15" ones are occasionaly encountered. Using the 15" grids your cage actually comes out closer to a 2x4 instead of a 2x3 since it's ~9.5sq ft instead of the 7.5sq ft of a standard 2x3. Would be better to have that extra sq ft but that's pretty darn close. I wouldn't say it's not good enough if you have to live with it but I'd make it larger in the near future if you can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.